SASS Wire Forum

Green corned beef, anyone?

For tomorrow, I mean.  My daughter always tints her corn bread green, so  guess we will be pigging out tomorrow on corned beef, cabbage and potatoes.  I wonder if you can tint the beef?  The food coloring is tasteless., just adds to the atmosphere.

Happy early Paddy's day. everyone!

I would not enjoy green corned beef.  Just thinking about it gives me flashbacks to the mystery meat served in my grade school cafeteria.

Green meat...yummy! :blink:

No, I think the dye should stay out of the meat. ;)

We have corned beef and cabbage every St. Patty’s Day as well as New Years Eve and a couple or more other times throughout the year, just because we love it. 

This year we have been invited to our son-in-law’s grandparent’s home for Saint Patrick’s Day dinner so my wife didn’t bother with making it this time. That means no leftovers. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I would not enjoy green corned beef.  Just thinking about it gives me flashbacks to the mystery meat served in my grade school cafeteria.

So your school had war surplus" meals, too?  Some things I won't eat to this day, like stewed tomatoes, corned beef, and weenies.

Save the green food coloring for the beer!

When I was a kid, a nearby town called Ireland had a restaurant that would always serve green beer on St. Patrick's Day. (Note, it was a town founded by German immigrants. I lived in Holland which was also founded by German immigrants.)

Anyway, I was a bartender in college at a steak house in a larger city. I took a bottle of green food coloring to work on St Patrick's day and served green beer. One waitress (a little elderly) refused to serve it. I finally convinced her that the customers would love it. 

We sold more beer that night than ever before!!!

I’ll take you back fitty sitty years to when I worked for a meat packer.  We worked all day in a refrigerator, sometimes a freezer. In one corner there was a caged off section where they had “dry aged beef” hanging. That was steer ribs and loins from Herefords.  Pieces of beef worth $200 or $300 before being put in the cage to dry age.

now after some months, pull a piece out, unwrap and look at it. Mmm, yummy, NO, green scummy, disgusting. Cut off and discard the outer quarter or half inch and you have a succulent piece of beef now worth maybe $500.

but that green was worth a vomit.

23 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So your school had war surplus" meals, too?  Some things I won't eat to this day, like stewed tomatoes, corned beef, and weenies.

My dad was that way about spam, after living on for years in the S. Pacific in WWII. We used to go camping a good bit, I finally brought him around that Spam sliced thin and fried crisp like bacon is pretty dern good. But it took a few years.

JHC

22 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My dad was that way about spam, after living on for years in the S. Pacific in WWII. We used to go camping a good bit, I finally brought him around that Spam sliced thin and fried crisp like bacon is pretty dern good. But it took a few years.

JHC

I bet quite a few.

Archived