SASS Wire Forum

Anesthesia

Alpo

Why, when they're putting you under, do they have you count backkerds?

I assume that having you count, period, is so they can hear you and when you stop talking they figger you're out.

But howcome backkerds?

I think it’s because it helps take your mind off of what is going on and it could be that having you count backwards is kind of the same as when the police do a field sobriety test by having one recite the A,B,C’s backwards. They are judging your impairment. 

I was only put out once, arthoscopic surgery on a torn meniscus, never asked me to count!

I have had several surgeries. 

Up until a few years ago they asked me to count back.

My last 2 foot surgeries they did not. 

I've had 11 major surgeries and have never been asked to count backwards. They just say relax, we are going to let you sleep for awhile.

I had two surgeries - both under the age of 8.  Both had me count backwards/  The last one, I quit early and felt them apply the knife - but it was not hurting - I went to lala land and felt nothing till I woke up.  They were still using ether at that time.

STL Suomi

Yes, I was asked to count backwards for several surgeries.  However, when I had a kidney stone removed and they put me under (at the Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, MN), they didn't. They place a head band on me, which was a first.  They explained that that would allow them to determine if I regained consciousness, but was unable to communicate with them...which happens to some people!  Fortunately, it didn't happen to me, but the band thing was...fascinating!  B)

I've had 6 surgeries and I work in surgery occasionally. None of the anesthesiologist I've been around have done it. I'll ask Monday at work.

Four times for me. Wisdom teeth in the 80s. Knee surgery in the 90s. Cataracts in the aughts.

They had me count the first two. I don't remember doing it for the eyes.

10 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

they don't ask me to count backwards. Usually they say here it comes you should feel it. then I say I'm about to fall asleep then I wake up in recovery.

Ditto.

I had wisdom teeth extracted back when I was in college, when they started the anesthesia I was asked to count backwards.  I looked at the doc and asked why... that's all I remember:lol:.

Had numerous surgeries. Even had ether as the anesthetic once. That was a sickening smell.

Have been asked to count backwards in the past, not recently. I remember once getting to "Ni..."!

One period when I had about five surgeries in two years, it got to be a game for me to see how long I could fight the anesthetic. One time, I was successful enough that the anesthesiologist asked if I had gotten the shot to relax me before they brought me down for the surgery.

On the downside, I do not come out of it very easily.:blink:

The one time I had general the sorry dogs just lied to me. The CRNA said they just put some Versed in my IV, and I asked them if the lights were about to go out. He said no, we still have to hook up the monitors, this that and the other, I remember them rolling me into the OR and I was wondering how they were gonna get me on that table. Then I woke up.

JHC

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 11:45 PM, Alpo said:

Why, when they're putting you under, do they have you count backkerds?

I assume that having you count, period, is so they can hear you and when you stop talking they figger you're out.

But howcome backkerds?

I finally got assigned to work in surgery today. The anesthesiologist said counting backwards is a slower cadence and takes more thought. He told me for awhile he would ask his patients to tell him a joke. He said he stopped doing it because he would never get to hear the punch line. 

When I had my colonoscopy they told me I'd open my eyes and say "You can start now" and it would be over.
"Yeah, right," said I.  "You can start now."
I was in recovery.

Now when I had kidney stones -- had ten of the things so far which is about two hundred too many -- I'm in ER wallowin' on attair tin bed like a worm on a fish hook.

A nurse came over from another zone and said "I recognize the wriggle, kidney stone?"
"Yes," I gasped.

"Can I get you anything?"

I looked her right in the eye and said "I've been a nurse for many years and I've never asked a favor but I'll ask now!"

She gave me a sympathetic look and I reckon she figured I was going to ask for a needle full of liquid sledgehammer.

"Could you send down to Central Supply and have 'em send up the biggest rubber mallet they've got!"

She turns red and she's trying not to laugh and she asked "Whyyyyyyy ...?"
I set bolt upright and give her my best wide eyed look and said "I want you to take in both hands and swing it like Babe Ruth, I want you to belt me between the eyes with it, just as hard as you can!"

By now she's snorting and trying really hard not to laugh and her ears is so red I though her hair was goin' to ketch fahr and she managed to half-giggle, half-choke, "I'm sorry, I can't do that!"

"It's like rasslin' a wildcat up in a tree!"  I declared loudly.  "Shoot up here amongst us, one of us gots to have some relief!"

(I don't know if she ever listened to that great Suth'n comedian Jerry Clower, but it seemed appropriate at the time!)

They knocked me out last week, without the count-down.

Glad they were able to do it, since I had to delay the first date, due to a bug that got into my lungs and got them fearful about putting me out and had them planning on just giving me a spinal.

OH GOODY!

I'd get to be awake for a couple of hours, while getting the "seed" implant procedure, with my legs up in stirrups and no horse in sight!!

The long, wide yellow stripe running from my neck downwards was getting more & more yellow all the time.

They Call Me by my First Name in the OR ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Bin there more than a few times , and in more than one Country .....

Bin awake for some , asleep fer others ,,,, Yes the Backwards count is Common ....

Jabez Cowboy

I still recall having my tonsils out some 65 years ago when I as 5 or 6. I was asked to count backwards from 100 and got to about 96 and tried to continue but couldn’t.  I distinctly remember thinking, “Dang, these doctors are going to think I’m stupid!”  Last thing I remember from that day.

Seamus

Archived