SASS Wire Forum

" Hi, this is the warranty dept". . . . .

Lawdog Dago Dom

I have 14 calls  (total) on my phone so far today. One to the wife, one from a neighbor, and one to a lumber yard. The rest were kind souls wanting to extend the warranty on our vehicles, offer better credit card rates and a "I've fallen and I can't get up" device offer. Or just hung up after I answered.

Karma needs to boomerang on these people big time. Would love to get their home numbers.

Is it legal to offer a bounty?

Asking for a friend.

May daughter told me to answer the phone--- Sheriff"s Dept   how may I direct you?    Says gets a lot less calls now      GW

I have an answering machine. I never answer. :lol:

I used to answer the phishing calls and mess with them. The calls increased. They actually doubled. I decided that if I don’t answer maybe my number will drop off their lists.

It seems to have worked. I now get spoof calls at a rate of about 1 every week and a half.

If I don’t recognize the number I don’t answer it. If it’s important they leave a message. If they don’t leave a message I block the number.

I started telling them I was dead and I was the attorney going over final arrangements with the widow. They were falling all over themselves apologizing for bothering me. Shortcake said that was terrible making them feel bad. I said they called me. so too bad.

Now they have these goofy recordings that respond to your voice. Or a hang up after two rings.

We have three sons that travel pretty regular for work and business, so I kinda have to answer just to be sure.

The middle boy went on Southeast Asia trip a couple of years ago. This goofy number comes up, so I answer the phone. It's him in Bangkok. He asked if I could wire him a couple of hundred for a Monkey Shot. I asked what kind of a moron goes into a bar and orders a shot of booze before checking the price? Especially in another country? He then explained they were rafting down a river. When they came ashore, a group of monkeys approached looking for food, as tourists fed them so they could get pictures. When he stepped backwards to take a picture he stepped on a monkey's tail and it bit his leg. Had he said "rabies shot" first, I would not have made the tavern connection. I sent the money and he got the "monkey shot."

One more reason why my hair is grey.

6 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I have 14 calls  (total) on my phone so far today. One to the wife, one from a neighbor, and one to a lumber yard. The rest were kind souls wanting to extend the warranty on our vehicles, offer better credit card rates and a "I've fallen and I can't get up" device offer. Or just hung up after I answered.

Karma needs to boomerang on these people big time. Would love to get their home numbers.

Is it legal to offer a bounty?

Asking for a friend.

So you could call them before 10:00 am on a Sunday morning, after 8:00 pm any day and annoy the bejabbers out of them like they do to us.

27 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So you could call them before 10:00 am on a Sunday morning, after 8:00 pm any day and annoy the bejabbers out of them like they do to us.

Unfortunately,  the numbers that show up on your caller ID are bogus numbers. Call them, and you get a "I'm sorry, the number you have dialed is not a working number" recording. 

6 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Unfortunately,  the numbers that show up on your caller ID are bogus numbers. Call them, and you get a "I'm sorry, the number you have dialed is not a working number" recording. 

Or you get some poor person who has no clue why angry people keep calling them.  I know of two people this has happened to recently.

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have an answering machine. I never answer. :lol:

Same here and I have customers calling, if they want my service and I don't recognize the number I let it go to voice mail!

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Same here and I have customers calling, if they want my service and I don't recognize the number I let it go to voice mail!

I do the same thing.  My problem is that I have an answering machine with my phone and these idiots can fill it up in a busy afternoon.  I often come home and find it full.

These calls are illegal.  Robo calls with voice recordings are illegal.  I'm on the Federal "Do Not Call List" so any solicitation call is illegal. But still we all get these illegal calls.  I even got a call recently from a legitimate company; i.e. Progressive Insurance (you know, the one with Flo).

Question:  Why isn't the government stopping this stuff? 

I think it would be a good political campaign issue. 

"Vote for me and I'll do all I can to stop unwanted solicitation calls."

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

These calls are illegal.  Robo calls with voice recordings are illegal.  I'm on the Federal "Do Not Call List" so any solicitation call is illegal. But still we all get these illegal calls.  I even got a call recently from a legitimate company; i.e. Progressive Insurance (you know, the one with Flo).

Question:  Why isn't the government stopping this stuff? 

I think it would be a good political campaign issue. 

"Vote for me and I'll do all I can to stop unwanted solicitation calls."

Birdgun, there seems to be no limit on good campaign issues. 

Howdy,

I had a personal message that answered the phone and I got LOTS of

calls and messages.

One day there was a power out and the factory message started playing.

And hardly any messages were left.

The calls still happen and if I know the number I answer, but way less messages.

Just try switching back to the factory message for a while.

It worked great for me.---Total accident.

Best

CR

On 3/15/2019 at 6:57 PM, G W Wade said:

May daughter told me to answer the phone--- Sheriff"s Dept   how may I direct you?    Says gets a lot less calls now      GW

I like, "(insert your local county here) County Coroner's Office, how may I direct your call?", done in a business like tone of voice and slightly hurried- like I've said it thousands of times.

Hearing a gasp and a dial tone is quite common.:rolleyes:

"Cold Shot Beer and Billiards, Eight Ball speakin', may I he'p you?", with my  heavy country-Southern accent exaggerated slightly, gets the same reaction but not nearly as often.:lol:  Note:  Playing heavy blues or Southern Rock loudly in the background seems to help sell it.

Archived