SASS Wire Forum

Ejector housing screw

JohnWesleyHardin

Purple Loctite, Blue Loctite, Use Red, only if ya dare.  Music to that.  In all honesty, there is little if any reason to pull the ejector housing and or the rod and spring for cleaning.  Easy way to clean it (if you need to) is a shot of Break Cleaner.

PS:  I forgot to add ... It is real common for folks to get frustrated and start applying some REAL torque to that screw.  Don't even be tempted to do that.  There are only just a couple of threads and once you strip them, you're in lots of trouble.  Grab some LocTite.  A little dab'll do ya ..... Burma Shave 

10 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

A little dab'll do ya ..... Burma Shave 

That would be Brylcreem !  :D:D

I use a screwdriver knife, check and tighten if need be, every 3-4 stages.  Along with checking the lever screw on the rifle.  Part of the routine at the loading table.

I always check screws on revolvers and rifle before I even leave home, as some have said I never have taken off the ejector housing, only around 4 threads so to speak, use blue locktite, ran out once and then I went to clear fingernail polish, that works just as good as the blue locktite, lucky I didn't have to buy the clear finger nail polish, most woman have it and I was lucky, the girl friend had it, later I bought the blue locktite for other things but still use the clear finger nail polish.

All for now JD Trampas

I'm not a big fan of thread locker on firearms, it brings with it some issues. That being said, blue gets the nod for the ejector screw. Use sparingly, clean out any oil before applying. Oil seems to degrade Blue, Red is impervious to pretty much anything. 

Before attempting the removal of any screw that has been treated with thread locker, apply heat. I use a heat gun, heat the metal until it is too hot to hold ( the book says 484 °F ) and the thread locker will soften. Red requires a bit more heat, 550 °F. On average heat guns are app 900 °F max. I don't think I get the parts that hot, all that is needed is to make the locker soft, not melt, IMHO.

I once bought a pair of Vaqueros, used, and none of the screws would budge. They all required heat and it was a bit of a chore to remove all the thread locker. The ejector screw hole was full of thread locker, so much that it hindered tightening the screw. I thought I'd removed it all but had to go back in with a needle after another reheat. Blind holes are probably the worst for cleaning up. 

BTW, there are several flavors of Blue, I prefer the thicker one. There is also a thick green one, RC 680, a little dab of that will work as well, again, don't fill the hole, just put a bit on the screw thread, after cleaning.

Anyways, that's what works for me. And, as mentioned, a routine check to see if the screws are snug.

I had one do that. When I got home, found the little sucker in my boot. Bet I couldn't do that again on a good day.

Lawdog Dago Dom...I think a lot of JWH's problems may be the result of some of the shady characters he seems to hang out with...

1 minute ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Lawdog Dago Dom...I think a lot of JWH's problems may be the result of some of the shady characters he seems to hang out with...

That is a brilliant deduction, sir.

I used to think these shady characters were helpful.  I now think they are sabotaging me.

One of these characters tried to trick me into being the only person to wear cowboy clothes to a gathering.   

Archived