SASS Wire Forum

What to do with incomplete reloading data

Thinking of swapping out powders I currently use for SASS loads and see that Hodgdon has published cowboy action data.  While this data is indeed useful, its missing quite a bit of important data.  The version available on their website only lists maximum loads.  Additionally, no case or overall cartridge lengths are provided.

Does anyone use this data Hodgdon has provided? 

See if you can find a new version.   They publish new editions often.    Newer version has high and low recommendations.    What caliber and power are thinking of.    Can tell you info     GW

Most published Cowboy data is pretty mild.  So, I use their Cowboy data as a top end limit, and work down.   If the pressure starts getting weak, velocity too low, or I suspect I could get a squib, I call that the minimum.   When we are working with fast powders in pistol size cartridges, there's nothing much else to be very concerned about except a squib.  So, keep your eye on pressure signs (like a flattened or pierced primer), or loads starting to get squibby (especially in cold weather) and use good safety practices.

That's probably why they did not feel a need to show either the lower limit, or even an overall length.  Use the overall length from the full-power section of loading manuals if you feel a need for one.

Good luck, GJ

31 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

See if you can find a new version.   They publish new editions often.    Newer version has high and low recommendations.    What caliber and power are thinking of.    Can tell you info     GW

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/cowboy-action1.pdf

This is what's currently on their website.  Either I'm not finding the right current version or there's an older one out there.

Currently I use 45LCs 250g and use 5.3g of Accurate #2.  I was looking at the Hodgdon site because they list bullet weights for 45LC that are lower and they also have Schofield info (going to start loading this soon).

I've never used Hodgdon brand powders.  Right now I mainly use Win 231 and Accurate stuff for various pistol rounds (cowboy and normal).

I have the Hodgdon reloading book they give away in our LGS..   I can print off a copy relating to 45 LC if you would like?   GW

43 minutes ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

I've never used Hodgdon brand powders.  Right now I mainly use Win 231

You evidently are not aware that Winchester powder is only a trademark now, and that it is owned and managed by Hodgdon's, with that powder still being manufactured by St Marks of Florida.

And, there is no .45 LC.   Just .45 Colt, as Colt's Firearms Manufacturing Company invented it and named it.

Just use that published data as a top end and work down to what you find is correct.  Sheesh!

GJ

3 minutes ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Thanks GW, Brazos, and Yusta...you're good pards.

No problem, BUT number I sent pictures to told me wrong number     GW

My daughter is an Aggie -- if I didn't try to help & she found out - she'd skin me alive !!  :o

Many of the Hodgdon powders are actually made in Aust by ADI (H4198, Trail Boss, ?)

Here is the link to the ADI load data. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/

Click on "Technical Data" (up the top) and you can select Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun or Single Action.

You can use the TB and H4198 data as printed you will need to confirm what other powders are the same with Hodgdon over there.

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You evidently are not aware that Winchester powder is only a trademark now, and that it is owned and managed by Hodgdon's, with that powder still being manufactured by St Marks of Florida.

And, there is no .45 LC.   Just .45 Colt, as Colt's Firearms Manufacturing Company invented it and named it.

Just use that published data as a top end and work down to what you find is correct.  Sheesh!

GJ

sorry you're having a bad day

2 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Interesting picture on page 1! Looks familiar. :lol:

adi-sam.JPG

Howdy Aggie, forget about the "Cowboy" data page.  Just go straight to the regular pistol reloading data on Hodgdon's website.  It has min and max loads and OAL (all 1.6"), and guess what?  The max loads they list are exactly the same as on the "Cowboy" data.

Also, the regular reloading pages say 45 Colt, and the "Cowboy" data says 45 Long Colt, so of course we know it can't be right.   :)

4 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Howdy Aggie, forget about the "Cowboy" data page.  Just go straight to the regular pistol reloading data on Hodgdon's website.  It has min and max loads and OAL (all 1.6"), and guess what?  The max loads they list are exactly the same as on the "Cowboy" data.

Also, the regular reloading pages say 45 Colt, and the "Cowboy" data says 45 Long Colt, so of course we know it can't be right.   :)

I don't know about the Hodgdon manual but in the ADI one the "Cowboy" loads are for cast bullets and the "regular" is with jacketed ammo.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Thinking of swapping out powders I currently use for SASS loads and see that Hodgdon has published cowboy action data.  While this data is indeed useful, its missing quite a bit of important data.  The version available on their website only lists maximum loads.  Additionally, no case or overall cartridge lengths are provided.

Does anyone use this data Hodgdon has provided? 

I'm rather hesitant, if not afraid to reply. The vagueness of the post, and lack of specifics reminds me of a couple of experiences I've had. 

First story, a CAS shooter was asking for some reloading advice. Seems that his seating die on his progressive press had become gummed up and he had to remove it and clean out the build-up of bullet lube. His concern was that how could he be sure he re-installed it correctly. 

Second story, I was asking about a reloading press that was for sale. The seller said that when he bought the press the store set it up for him. They told him what bullet to use, and what powder it was set up for.

My point being, not all people that load their own ammunition are reloaders. They know how to operate their reloading press, and have made hundreds if not thousands of rounds of their own ammunition. IMO they skipped the basics, and started making ammunition. In all likelihood they may not even own a reloading manual.

Giving reloading advice to anyone assumes that the person getting the advice, hints or direction, has a working knowledge of the basics of reloading. 

I'm not feeling this here. My fear is that, similar to my 2 stories, the actual reloading knowledge is limited. 

Back when I started reloading, I had some issues, problems and was lamenting that the reloading manual I had was out to lunch. An old timer, a very experienced reloader put his arm on my shoulder and quietly said, Big Boston, my friend, the problem is not the data.

With all due respect, Big Boston.

14 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I don't know about the Hodgdon manual but in the ADI one the "Cowboy" loads are for cast bullets and the "regular" is with jacketed ammo.

Hodgdon online reloading data center shows data for both cast and jacketed bullets, separately, for each specific bullet weight selected.

Archived