SASS Wire Forum

What was the first gun you bought, and where did you buy it?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Western Field (a Mossberg) 500A, 12 gauge pump.  Ordered from a Montgomery Wards catalog store. Shortly after turning 18.  That gun harvested more than it's weight in doves over my college years.   Still have it, it's still a wonderful shotgun.

Good luck, GJ

1984. 15 years old. H&H Guns, State Street, Fort Wayne, IN. Mossberg Model 500 with bird and slug barrels. 179.00 +tax. Shot my first deer that year  and a bunch of rabbits with it. Kicked like a mule with the 18.5" slug barrel and 1 oz. slugs. Sold it to a buddy for 150.00

I was 15 years old and the year was 1969. I bought a .303 British Enfield rifle from my neighbor, a miner who worked with my dad in the mines above Creede. I paid $50.00 for it and I had earned the money on my paper route. Killed my first elk and a mule deer with it. That flared flash hider on the end of the barrel was pretty cool.

1977, December. For my 18th birthday, I bought a used Ruger 10/22 from Bill Jackson's in St. Petersburg, Fl, for $50

. The counterman was nearly ashamed to have to tell me that , as .22LR was a common handgun caliber as well, he could not sell me any, while if I was buying a FAR more powerful .30-06, he could have sold me as much ammunition as I liked .  Still have that one.

1976- 5 1/2 inch Ruger new model super single six. I wasn't quite 21 and my dad had to make the  purchase from the liquor / gun store across the street from where I worked. I still have and cherish it!!

Jasper

1972  Bought myself a 18th birthday present. It was a Browning BLR 22. Arts and Merrit sporting goods, Mason City,Iowa. 75 dollars and tax. I do have a BLR...but not the same one...kicking self in rear...

Traded a redbone hound that was a really good coon dog for a Stevens Crackshot  .22 when I was 13 from one of my dads friends, killed a ton of rabbits, squirrels, and other varmints over the years after that, laser accurate little rifle, was stolen when a lowlife broke my truck window and grabbed it and some 8 track tapes in 1969.  SCJ

Model 1895 7mm Mauser. Montgomery Ward. $19.95

I still have it and every other gun I have ever had. My really bad habit, I can't get rid of one.

I bought my first gun in early ‘83. It was a Colt Combat Govt. series 70. I paid $317 for it at B&B Sales in Hollywood, California. 

7 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

First I know was my money was a Dan Wesson 6 inch .357 mag bought at Skaggs Drug store in Boulder, CO.

You could buy guns at a drug store? :blink: :o

In 1961, while in the 8th grade, I was working as a bowling ally pin boy, setting the pins by hand, and came out to get some fresh air.  A fellow on the side walk was selling a British Enfield 303 to raise money to buy some alcohol.  I paid him $10.00 and it had a fully loaded magazine.

I later traded it to my brother for a 1946 Chevrolet Coup which I drove to high school for two years..

The first new gun I ever bought was a Winchester 1894 Classic.

Purchased in March 1968 at Ream;s Hardware, Middlesboro,  Kentucky.

Duffield

I think I'd like to give this entire thread a thumbs up.

I had to actually sit and think about which of two was first for a few moments. The first firearm I actually purchased with money of my own was a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle in the early nineties. It is a 195 series in stainless steel with the wooden stock and crescent shaped plastic butt plate. It still sits in my safe, although with a Hogue overmolded synthetic stock and M-14 style flash hider. I don't remember the cost, but I could probably dig out the receipt if I tried. I got it at Buck Creek Carry Out, in Springfield, OH. I've purchased several other guns there over the years, including my most recent acquisition.

Coincidentally, I had broken the plastic butt plate some time ago, but Ruger just sent me another, free of charge(!), and I am planning on stripping and refinishing the wooden stock. If it turns out well, I am planning on putting it back on, and perhaps adding an Accu-Strut. I like the feel and length of pull of the synthetic stock, but I far prefer the looks of a nice wooden stock. Since I just plink with it once in awhile, I think I can live with the wooden stock. If not, or if I can't do a decent job of refinishing it, a laminate stock might be in the future.

The first gun I purchased was a S&W Model 10 .38 Special handgun from a local hardware store in Montgomery, AL.  I purchased it on layaway and still have it some 43 years later. 

The first gun I actually bought with my own money was an Auto Ordnance 1911 .45 back in 1989. Unfortunately I quickly learned the hard way that not everybody knows what they're doing (or cares) when they build a 1911. The only good thing about it was that I learned how to be a 1911 gunsmith in very short order. Eventually I got rid of it and spent a little more money on a Colt Series 80, which I still have.

About 1969 or 70. I bought  two 7mm Spanish Mausers from my brother in law for $10 each. I gave one to my brother and we sporterized them. I still have one I don't remember if it was the one my brother did or the one I did. I inherited the one my brother did after he died and gave one of them to a cousin. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

You could buy guns at a drug store? :blink: :o

Handguns even!  Been a long long time ago, seems like Skaggs was primarily a drug store but maybe it was kinda a department store as well.

I am assuming you don't mean BB gun......?????

My first gun was a well used JC Whitney 22 bolt action singe shot rifle at age 14 (almost). I was working at a local gunsmith shop and the price was $4.00.

The year was 1957.

:ph34r:   1956 and 13 years old, spent $13 of paper route money at Caldwell's Trading Post for a Remington bolt-action single shot rifle.  Carried it home over my shoulder, walking 5 blocks through town and nobody said "Boo"........

8 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The first gun I actually bought with my own money was an Auto Ordnance 1911 .45 back in 1989. Unfortunately I quickly learned the hard way that not everybody knows what they're doing (or cares) when they build a 1911. The only good thing about it was that I learned how to be a 1911 gunsmith in very short order. Eventually I got rid of it and spent a little more money on a Colt Series 80, which I still have.

My older brother bought one during the same time frame. The barrel bushing broke in short order. He replaced it, and it has shot like a champ ever since for him. It may just be his favorite pistol.

In 1974, I bought a Remington 1000 that I could not hit anything with. Bought it from the old Houston Jewelers & Distributors.

Gave it to my Dad and then bought me an 870 from Oshman's Sporting Goods. Much better results against those pesky doves.

Thee years later, got a threatening letter from someone thinking I was the Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan.

My new wife at the time (currently my old wife) got very upset and called the police. The officer suggest I buy a pistol and learn how to use it.

Went back to Oshman's and bought me S&W model 10 Police Special. Great little .38, wish I still had it.

Anyway since then, I have bought and sold dozens and dozens more. Some I regret buying, others I regret getting rid of.

1968 a Marlin-Glenfield Model 80 G I bought it from Clabbers variety store for the princely price of $23. I refinished the stock years ago and of course I still have it and always will. No serial number so of course it doesn’t exist 

9 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Handguns even!  Been a long long time ago, seems like Skaggs was primarily a drug store but maybe it was kinda a department store as well.

Yep, there is or used to be a drug store in Sheridan, Wyoming that sold firearms and ammunition. I bought a couple of rifles from them when I lived there many, many years ago.

Archived