SASS Wire Forum

Today's weird legal question

Alpo

Leave us suppose that I am a pregnant young woman.

Leave us also suppose that I am unmarried.

Then leave us further suppose that I not only know the identity of the father, but he is amenable to having his name placed on the birth certificate.

Is there a requirement about the baby's surname?

I'm Smith and the father is Jones. Does the kid HAVE TO be Jones because that's the father's name? HAVE TO be Smith because I'm not married to the father?  I can decide WHICH OF THE TWO I want the baby to be?

Or can I name it whatever I want to - Roosevelt orTudor or Hirohito? :P

One more supposing. The father and I are not "in a relationship". We're not "living together without benefit of clergy". We just got really really friendly a few times. :blush:

Pretty sure it's whatever the mother puts on the birth certificate. 

One of my  brother's friends had his mother's surname, while his sister took the father's surname.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Leave us suppose that I am a pregnant young woman.

Is there something you're not tellin' us.   "Wink, Wink":P

What J. Mark said!!!:lol:

1 hour ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Is there something you're not tellin' us.   "Wink, Wink":P

Was thinking along the same lines with all these strange legal questions. Sounds like Alpo helped a friend kill his wife, hid the body, and now he's masquerading as his friend's pregnant young lover! :huh:

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Was thinking along the same lines with all these strange legal questions. Sounds like Alpo helped a friend kill his wife, hid the body, and now he's masquerading as his friend's pregnant young lover! :huh:

Or maybe the wife!

To answer your original question; I knew a gal in North Carolina who had to put her husband's last name on the birth certificate of her new son, even though they were seperated AND the kid was another guy's.

If you want to collect child support might consider father's last name making it legal.

Rather than listening to the so-called experts here, consult an attorney!  If you can't afford one, call the Legal Aid Society or the state bar association!

OTOH, if you used the father' last name for the child, and it was a boy...you might name him "Sue"!  Of course, the father might...sue, that is! :lol:

Archived