SASS Wire Forum

We are Pistoleros!

Rustler, SASS #33316

Bouncing off Mr. CP's thread on "Double Duelist and 2 guns" we have agreed that DD is a style not a Category. As an uncoordinated, spastic Duelist I am in awe of those of you who can make your off hand work as well as your strong hand.  

But in my Fantasy World you would have your own Category as you are not shooting in the "Spirt" of a Pistolero (search the forum)! Pistoleros shoot one handed, the same hand and use the other hand to hold up your britches. 

A "Double Duelist Gamer" will almost always beat a regular proper Duelist - It's just aint fair, so get out of my category and just go to GF... 

We are Pistoleros and shoot Duelist as it was meant to be!!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Thank god yer just kidding...

<_<

This would be an interesting topic with LOTS of post except a true Duelist can only type with one hand

and therefore, won't waste much time trying to type out a comment.

A Double Duelist will 'hunt n peck' with both hands and a few of them will post a comment, such as

TN Williams.   Actually, he was probably reaching for his morning cup of joe while typing and submitting

his post..... ;)

On the other hand, as a GF, it only took me about 45 seconds to type out this post..... :lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

Just to be clear - 

No disrespect to those that have the skills to shoot DD; I am just jealous...  

Okay... But trust me, threads such as these usually don't end well and are rarely productive.

22 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

This would be an interesting topic with LOTS of post except a true Duelist can only type with one hand

and therefore, won't waste much time trying to type out a comment.

A Double Duelist will 'hunt n peck' with both hands and a few of them will post a comment, such as

TN Williams.   Actually, he was probably reaching for his morning cup of joe while typing and submitting

his post..... ;)

On the other hand, as a GF, it only took me about 45 seconds to type out this post..... :lol:

..........Widder

I typed that out too to time myself. Took me 38 seconds. The big difference was, I was able to also make more coffee and type two other posts while I was doing it.:ph34r:

Just now, Tennessee williams said:

I typed that out too to time myself. Took me 38 seconds. The big difference was, I was able to also make more coffee and type two other posts while I was doing it.:ph34r:

I did get two misses and a procedural though.

I am a Pistolero and have worked the last two years to shoot double duelist. My weak hand has got better but ain't no where near my strong hand yet. Will keep persevering, so maybe one day no one can tell which is my strong hand. Right now it's very apparent. 

9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I can’t find it :(

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1910907549168810/?ref=bookmarks

12 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yep, I found it last night; thanks for adding me ;)

Oh okay so you're Jason!!! :lol: Welcome!!

On 3/13/2019 at 10:37 PM, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

Bouncing off Mr. CP's thread on "Double Duelist and 2 guns" we have agreed that DD is a style not a Category. As an uncoordinated, spastic Duelist I am in awe of those of you who can make your off hand work as well as your strong hand.  

But in my Fantasy World you would have your own Category as you are not shooting in the "Spirt" of a Pistolero (search the forum)! Pistoleros shoot one handed, the same hand and use the other hand to hold up your britches. 

A "Double Duelist Gamer" will almost always beat a regular proper Duelist - It's just aint fair, so get out of my category and just go to GF... 

We are Pistoleros and shoot Duelist as it was meant to be!!!!

The original Pistolero Wild Bill Hicock shot double duelist. ;) :D

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The original Pistolero Wild Bill Hicock shot double duelist. ;)

Yes he did and he was shooting at targets that were shooting back at him!!

11 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I am a Pistolero and have worked the last two years to shoot double duelist. My weak hand has got better but ain't no where near my strong hand yet. Will keep persevering, so maybe one day no one can tell which is my strong hand. Right now it's very apparent. 

One way to help speed up that process is to use your weak hand for everyday tasks you’d usually use your strong hand to perform. This works especially well in the bathroom. Use the toilet, brush your teeth, comb your hair, etc. use your weak hand for all of these. Pretty soon you’ll notice a vast improvement in the performance of your weak hand. 

4 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

One way to help speed up that process is to use your weak hand for everyday tasks you’d usually use your strong hand to perform. This works especially well in the bathroom. Use the toilet, brush your teeth, comb your hair, etc. use your weak hand for all of these. Pretty soon you’ll notice a vast improvement in the performance of your weak hand. 

I played drums for 30 years, made a living playing in bands and teaching drum students. One of the things that we drummers stress is to use the "weak" hand for everyday tasks! It really helped in building up my left hand. Makes sense for shooting too!;)

7 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Using your computer mouse with your weak hand is an excellent  way to improve weak hand coordination. 

On 3/14/2019 at 9:02 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

good thingy uo'r eon t aoduble dishcareg!R

For non gunfighters, that says, Good thing you're not a double discharger!

9 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Totally agree with ya on this bull.  I would stress having on hand some quality strong TP though, don't ask. :o

On 3/13/2019 at 11:37 PM, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

Curious as to the thought here. How could a DD out shoot a D? Is it a time thingy on clearing leather?

I do not have many years or matches under my gun belt but foreseeing the desire to shoot GF, I made the decision to start shooting DD. I am not any faster strong hand than weak hand and always finish at the end of the posse. 

I eventually switched to GF, shooting Josey Wales as much as I can and still finish last in the posse.

The truth about a pistolero ... if’n ya take that thar hot lead in your gun arm, yull make a better pistolman if’n you could shoot back with your other wing. 

3 hours ago, Bittertrigger said:

What about us that are ambidextrous 

I don’t have a strong or weak side 

So does that make me a true Double Duelist B)

I'd say' "yes, it does".  A pistolero for sure.

I have become somewhat ambidextrous myself.  I have always wrote with left hand but did most everything else right handed.  I switched from "trade-off" duelist (left gun to right hand) somewhere around 10-12 years ago.  It took lots of practice and hard mental conditioning.  I did, and at times still do, have to convince Mr. Self  that  left is as good as right. In the last few years it has become obvious that left is actually faster per shot than right.  I contribute this to practice and the fact that at 73, the right has just had more "ware and tear" thru use, and no doubt the worst in thumb arthritis.  Clock seems to dictate that right is perhaps a tad faster on draw/hit first shot but left out runs right in five shots.  At the end of 10 shots, the total time is about same whether i start with left or right.   I'm long ways from a top speedy duelist, but like TN W, s Bull, and others  mention, the advantages are way in the plus column as a duelist  competitor for me, at least, if shot as DD..

I will disagree to theory that a true pistolero shoots duelists with only one particular hand for 10 rounds (yes, I'm biased),  but I will vote yes that a pistolero is a duelist as long as 10 rounds comes from unsupported hand, left or right or five from each.  With my definition, a gunfighter is a pistoreo also....just one with far more mental discipline in CAS than I.  Yes, Wid, that makes you a pistolero in my book. ;)

I can shoot "double duelist" and I have. I even messed with gunfighter also a few times.  I keep going back to the strong hand and crossdraw. I'm much more comfortable doing that. I'm not as fast with my left hand and not as accurate either. It's something you have to really work at and I'm too lazy! :lol:

Plus crossdraw just looks really cool!:P

I'm guilty of being ambidextrous too. Im the youngest of 12 and have two lefty siblings. Funny how in school they wouldn't let me write left handed. The ambidextrous thing reminded me of a funny. Im trying to remember best I can.

There was an espn interviewing a basketball player that had made the game winning shot going up to do a layup. The player switched hands and hit the basket left handed. The interviewer asked the player if he was suprised he made the shot left handed. The guy said, no I knew Id make it because Im perpendicular.

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm guilty of being ambidextrous too. Im the youngest of 12 and have two lefty siblings. Funny how in school they wouldn't let me write left handed. The ambidextrous thing reminded me of a funny. Im trying to remember best I can.

There was an espn interviewing a basketball player that had made the game winning shot going up to do a layup. The player switched hands and hit the basket left handed. The interviewer asked the player if he was suprised he made the shot left handed. The guy said, no I knew Id make it because Im perpendicular.

I remember that he said, "I can shoot with either hand I'm amphibious". can't remember who said it! 

Archived