SASS Wire Forum

Black powder

Just out of curiosity, how many folks have made their own gun powder?

Not as a necessity but more for the accomplishment of making it.

To those who have made their own gun powder and are more knowledgeable than I. I would like to ask how you normally test burn rates of your particular formulation/granulation. I have my idea's for testing using a known powder(goex in my case) to get a standard for comparison. No i am not on a lifelong quest for "fast" powder,  just a decent/consistent powder made by me. Like i said not a necessity but more a personal accomplishment.

Keep your powder dry, 

The Bearded Wonder 

I actually attempted to make black powder once. I screwed it up. I pretty much ended up with really lousy stink bomb material. I decided against another attempt.

I don’t know but I do not remember the details of my attempt. I do remember the details of the sulphuric cloud...it smelled bad. :lol:

The big firecrackers I made were like smolder smoke bombs. They kind of fizzled and smoked but pretty much died when the cannon fuse stopped burning. I shoved the fuse all the way to the bottom of  small plugged cardboard tubes of various lengths (the tube on dry cleaners hangers) Packed in my powder. Sealed the end with silicone (as was the other end) and let them sit for a few days before we tested them.

Very unimpressive.

My friend’s kid wanted the last couple for stink bombs but I saw no good coming from giving them to him and tossed them into a bucket of water. 

I've made a batch or two with pretty good results, but I never got technical enough to develop a testing system.  I'd just put a fuse in a little pile and light the fuse.  It would go FOOF! just like Goex.  

I wrote an article about how to do it for the Chronicle, and they actually printed it.  I got hammered pretty hard here in the Saloon for it.  No hard feelings, everyone has their own opinion.

So anyway, rather than tie up a whole bunch of electrons in giving you the process, I'll just refer you to youtube.  Do a search for Brushhippie.  He has several good videos on making BP.

Isn't one of the secrets to making black powder to add water and make it into a paste to fully combine the ingredients?  Then, spread it out, let it dry, then granulize it?

2 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Isn't one of the secrets to making black powder to add water and make it into a paste to fully combine the ingredients?  Then, spread it out, let it dry, then granulize it?

Pretty much.

I would 'grind' mine in a stone  motar & pestle.

I lived 500' from the ocean, and static was not an issue.

OLG

I've made it before never tested any of it. Believe it or not there are a couple of places on the internet you can buy BP kits, that is what I used, it was/is real dirty and I have to clean my guns more.

Tried it when I wzs a kid and about the same results as PR if i remember right. Easier for me to just buy already made!

Howdy,

I made some years ago. My friends and I wanted to make rockets.

Several different blends were made and the usual result was very

stinky smoke and the occasional cloud of fire.

We used information in our high school chemistry books.

I am so happy to have both eyes and all my fingers.

Some weren't so lucky.

If someone wants to put out the formulas then go for it.

I would fear some sort of lawsuit.

Best

CR

When I was a teenager, I & my best friend were amateur pyro technicians.   We made several batches for black powder but found that mixtures of powdered magnesium or aluminum mixed with potassium nitrate, sodium nitrate or potassium permanganate were better rocket propellants.  We also experimented with duplex propellants & accidently discovered "Spit Powder".  Our experimentation ended when my friend received 2nd degree burns on his chest when Spit Powder in a closed container he was carrying in his shirt pocket spontaneously combusted.

11 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

When I was a teenager, I & my best friend were amateur pyro technicians.   We made several batches for black powder but found that mixtures of powdered magnesium or aluminum mixed with potassium nitrate, sodium nitrate or potassium permanganate were better rocket propellants.  We also experimented with duplex propellants & accidently discovered "Spit Powder".  Our experimentation ended when my friend received 2nd degree burns on his chest when Spit Powder in a closed container he was carrying in his shirt pocket spontaneously combusted.

My brother from a different mother!

Did the same as a kid; bought the components over the counter from the local drug store, no questions asked.

Used an old book Dad had for formulas and techniques.

Made packet charges with fuses, and sunk multiple plastic ship models (including my Texaco tanker) in the neighbor's in-ground pool.

Parental confiscation ensued.

LL

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Did the same as a kid; bought the components over the counter from the local drug store, no questions asked.

Made packet charges with fuses, and sunk multiple plastic ship models (including my Texaco tanker) in the neighbor's in-ground pool.

LL

We finally went to M-80's for destroying models, same parental reaction:D. I guess boys will be boys.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:43 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

We were able to acquire some of the chemicals via mail order & also would ride our tenspeeds a few miles south to Berzerkley to a laboratory supply house sold lab apparatus  & chemicals retail. 

Archived