SASS Wire Forum

What would you call him/her?

Alpo

Assuming that you had a great-grandparent still alive, what would you call them?

My grandgirls were born in 03 and 06. Mama died in 08. La rubia weren't quite two - Mama died a month before her birthday - so she didn't really interact with her. They live in Georgia, and Mama'd only seen her a couple times. But Lobita was five, almost six. She'd met Mama a few times. Called her Grandma. I presume that's 'cause Hazel called her Grandma.

Mama told me she was showing pictures of her down at the Star one night, and one of the other women said, "What does she call you?"

Mama said, "Grandma", like, "What else would she call me?" :rolleyes:

My stepkids' Grandma's father was still alive, and they called him PAPA. So there was Grandma and Grandpa and Papa all living in that house.

Nana and Papa.

I am the oldest of the cousins on my mom's side of the family. When I was born all of my mom's family started calling their granny, great-granny; it stuck and that's how everyone referred to her until she died when I was 19 or so.

On the other hand, my son is the oldest of my grandmother's great grandchildren and no one has ever called her anything other than mammy; no "great" prefix.

I barely remember my paternal great grandmother but I do remember calling her "Grandma". I called my grandmother "Nanny". I called my maternal grandmother "Grandma" also. I never knew my maternal great grandmother.

I was about five or so when my mother's grandmother (my great-grandmother) passed.  We always referred to her as "Grandma B------ (using her last name). We always referred to my grandparents as grandma or grandpa with their last name, or with just the initial of their last name.  My grandchildren call me GrandpaJim and my wife Grand(using her nickname).

Whatever your parents called them.  I never knew any of my great grandmas and grandpas, but my grandmother and grandfather lived to see their great grandkids nearly grow up.  The great grandkids called them 'mum' and 'grandpa' just like all the rest of us. 

My mother is a great grandmother.  My son, Hatfield, has always called her Grandmother.  My own grandkids call me Papa and Schoolmarm is Mimi and they call my mom Grandmother, as do my niece and nephew.  In this case, one size fits all!!

Archived