SASS Wire Forum

Baikal woes

Boomstick Bruce

So, first off let me give a shout out to the Virginia City Marshals. I shot my first match there tonight and had a great time! Probably the worse showing I've ever had, but I had a great time doing it with a great bunch! I'm definitely going back! 

Anyway, I've been having problems with my single trigger Baikal "doubling". Well it's not actually the gun per se but me because of the gun. My old shotgun, the Stevens 315 has a 14.5" lop, the Baikal is 13.5". What's going on is I'm not getting the gun tight against my shoulder enough and I keep bump firing it. So I have to lengthen the stock about 1 inch. There are several ways to do this. I can invent a stock stretcher, cut and shape a piece of wood to put between the pad and the stock or I could make 2 spacers to go between the pad and the wood. I like the way the spacers look and the fact it will add some weight to this gun but don't know if it's sass legal or not. I looked in the handbook and couldn't find anything about how you're allowed to change the lop. Is this legal?

Screenshot_2019-03-13-00-36-15~2.png

Put a leather cover over it like this and you're good to go.BTW my wife's single trigger Baikail was doubling on her periodically and Kohnny Meadows was running the timer on her and said the reason was she wasn't cocking it all the way. She made an rffort to do that and it didn't double again for te rest of the match. He took it and welded on it so it cocked more positively and that cured it. YMMV

Image result for shotgun buttstock cover

I think it falls under -

Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms.

But put a butt cover on to hide it, and you're good to go. ;)

I posed the same question a few years back over a '92 stock that someone had "lightened" by cutting a big hole out of it. It was ruled illegal, so I plugged the hole with a piece of juniper. :)

1892Rossi4440.jpg

Any competent gunsmith can install a spacer for you to your specifications.

A leather cover over the stock will hide the fact that it has been extended.

Your other option is to buy a finished or semi finished stock.

While that spacer gets the stock extended it may cause an even bigger problem.  When you fire the gun the unsupported center is going to flex alot. This will put a lateral stress on the screws that may eventually crack the stock.

Take a piece of wood and trace the outline of the butt pad on it and then cut it out with a jigsaw or bandsaw. You can even use a handsaw and then finish up with a wood rasp.

Use that in place of the spacers you are currently using and cover the entire thing with a leather cover. Wood doesn't have to be pretty it just has to conform to the general conture of the stock.

A quick solution might be a thicker recoil pad, like a Kick-eez and a Kick-eez recoil pad spacer.  

I found a neoprene slip on butt stock cover at Sportsmans Warehouse that came with a selection of foam spacers. Just stack them up and slip the cover over them. Then cover the whole affair with a leather butt stock cover. I did this to lengthen the LOP on a Baikal I bought that had been previously been cut down. Worked great and very inexpensive.

Kay Sadeeya & I both shoot JM single trigger Baikals.  She would have occasional problems with doubling & I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.  My gun never doubled.  It was always totally random for her.  She said that she could tell when it was going to happen because the trigger pull was suddenly REALLY heavy.

As an experiment, we traded shotguns for a couple of matches.  When she used my gun & it doubled, I knew that it had to be something she was doing differently from me.  I of course did not tell her that, for the obvious reasons.

One night we were doing dry fire practice & my finger hit the trigger while the gun was open.  I heard a faint click, then when I closed the gun & pulled the triggers, there was a single loud CLICK.  AH HAH!  That was why her guns would double but it never happened to me, and why it was so damn random - she didn't know she was hitting the trigger while opening the gun.  All 3 of our single trigger Baikals act the same way.  We now make sure to keep our trigger fingers off the trigger when shucking shells.

Holler

So you're admitting that you have a bump stock on your shotgun?  On a public forum? 

Seriously though, there's any number of recoil reducers that would work.  I'd do one of those before I trusted that spacer idea that looks like it would be spongy in the middle. 

I have an 1 1/2 recoil pad that I bought out of a bargain bin for a joke.     GW

Archived