SASS Wire Forum

Ruger 9 m/m PCC

G W Wade

Anybody using one?    What can expect except a huge ammo bill when spring comes.  Probally just be used for informal target  and plinking.  Or maybe even a side match at a IDPA or USPSA       What do you think       GW

Been using mine in USPSA PCC.  Two matches so far.  No problems, great accuracy and easy operation.  Will try it in next month's Steel Challenge.

Bought it as a tool.  Getting to really like it as I use and maintain it over time.  Could turn into a real favorite.

Don't think you can go far wrong whatever you use it for.

Pat Riot has one I believe.

I do and it has become one of my favorite long guns. It’s accurate and reliable. I put an Odin Works “Atlas” compensator on it and that cut the recoil. Follow up shots are quick. What is really cool is it fits in a 22” long backpack when taken down. I can toss it on my back and ride my bike to the range. I really like my PC Carbine.

Have gotten to handle one and fire a few rounds, but no clue on accuracy.    Guys with other brands of 9 m/m carbines are telling me theirs seem to prefer heavy bullets for best groups.  Did find a company called DCarbo that sells a trigger kit.  $15 bucks for replacement return spring and sear spring that getting good reviews.  Veteran run and made in USA.     GW

3 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Have gotten to handle one and fire a few rounds, but no clue on accuracy.    Guys with other brands of 9 m/m carbines are telling me theirs seem to prefer heavy bullets for best groups.  Did find a company called DCarbo that sells a trigger kit.  $15 bucks for replacement return spring and sear spring that getting good reviews.  Veteran run and made in USA.     GW

Mine does just fine with 115 grain factory ammo.

Why change the trigger before you've fired it? You may like it just the way it is. The trigger on mine is very nice. It's not a target trigger, it's a basic single stage trigger.

Just  read reviews before buying things ( learned that from my kids)   And you know how we like to tinker with toys.   GW

A few of the guys I shoot steel challenge with have them and really like the way they shoot, I have shot one a friend bought and was pretty impressed with the way it shot. I'm planning on picking one up in the near future.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I wish Ruger would off one in a non-takedown configuration. I have no use for that feature and I find the obvious gap between the two halves very unappealing.

I wish they had made it a bit easier to clean. Having to remove it from the stock to strip the receiver on a blow back gun is not ideal...

I'd like to see a metal trigger. 

6 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Guys with other brands of 9 m/m carbines are telling me theirs seem to prefer heavy bullets for best groups. 

I have a beretta and a sub 2000.  I haven't stopped having fun with either of them long enough to figure out their accuracy potential.  I think every 9mm prefers heavier bullets (I know I sure do), but TBH, I doubt like heck I'll ever start feeding them expensive ammo. 

Kind of wish rumors of one in 45acp would come true.  That"s most of the reason I havn"t bought one yet.   GW

I picked one up recently and plan on shooting it for the first time this weekend. I got a Ruger 10/22 takedown bag to carry it in. 

AAE8489A-F39C-4B0F-8002-D6A2BB75EB1A.thumb.jpeg.18840ee4d194783914a327e7346ce37d.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tony Crowe said:

I picked one up recently and plan on shooting it for the first time this weekend. I got a Ruger 10/22 takedown bag to carry it in. 

AAE8489A-F39C-4B0F-8002-D6A2BB75EB1A.thumb.jpeg.18840ee4d194783914a327e7346ce37d.jpeg

How does it fit in there? I was considering one of these as well.

While I haven't shot a PCC yet, I did rent a Beretta CX4 Storm a couple of years ago. It was a very shootable little platform, and if it wasn't for that dorky thumbhole space cadet stock I would've picked one up by now. With a red dot on it it'd be a very handy and compact home defense rifle.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How does it fit in there? I was considering one of these as well.

It fits. Ruger does make a bag specifically for the PC Carbine, but the 10/22 bag works. On my Carbine I added one of the spacers to the stock and it still will fit in the pouch and the Velcro flap will close.

26 minutes ago, Tony Crowe said:

It fits. Ruger does make a bag specifically for the PC Carbine, but the 10/22 bag works. On my Carbine I added one of the spacers to the stock and it still will fit in the pouch and the Velcro flap will close.

Thank you. I will have to check but I believe I put both spacers on.

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. I will have to check but I believe I put both spacers on.

I am not sure it would fit the 10/22 bag with both spacers installed.  You might have to go with the longer bag made specifically for the PC Carbine.  The 10/22 case is 22 1/2" long and the one for the carbine is 25" long.  Both are a bit pricey on the Ruger website, $85-$90.  I was able to purchase one locally from an individual for $40,  They can be found on eBay at times.

I bought a used Chiappa M1-9 PCC a while back and use it for monthly indoor Action Shooting International (ASI) matches. ASI is regularly discussed in the Dillon Blue Press and is sort of IDPA lite. Anyhow PCC shooting is really a lot of fun. I paid $275 for the Chiappa, but it uses Beretta 92 magazines which are $30-40 each depending on capacity. After buying a bunch of mags for it, could have bought a new Ruger. Anyhow, the Chiappa works fine. I use iron sights with no problems. The Ruger PCC shooters prefer red dots as they are easy to mount. I'd do the same on mine, except have not been able to find a mount.

Now waiting for Ruger to build a .45 ACP carbine. If they ever do, will pick it up in a heartbeat. 

Church Key

Different strokes. Just aesthetically unpleasing to me for some reason.

I can think of several reasons.

Blocky looking.

Plastic stock.

Picatinny rail.

Toe of the stock is blunt instead of pointed.

Junction of mag and gun is UGLY.

It's just flat out homely, and life's too short to own ugly guns.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Different strokes. Just aesthetically unpleasing to me for some reason.

Suppose we could make it look like an M1 carbine          GW

35 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I can think of several reasons.

Blocky looking.

Plastic stock.

Picatinny rail.

Toe of the stock is blunt instead of pointed.

Junction of mag and gun is UGLY.

It's just flat out homely, and life's too short to own ugly guns.

I think they are ugly too  But have not heard any dislikes from people who shoots them.    GW

I don't mind the looks of them, and like the feel of them in hand. Still, if I ever make the jump, I will likely go with a Beretta CX4 Storm, since I already have a bunch of Beretta mags that will work in it. If I got the Ruger, I'd need to get a Ruger pistol so I could share magazines. Not that I'm against buying more pistols...

8 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I don't mind the looks of them, and like the feel of them in hand. Still, if I ever make the jump, I will likely go with a Beretta CX4 Storm, since I already have a bunch of Beretta mags that will work in it. If I got the Ruger, I'd need to get a Ruger pistol so I could share magazines. Not that I'm against buying more pistols...

Nothing wrong with that. I like the Storm, but I have kind of the same problem. I have 2 Glocks and a boatload of Glock mags. So I got a Carbine that uses Glock mags.

9 minutes ago, DocWard said:

A Glock adapter is included with the PPC if that helps      GW

2 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

A Glock adapter is included with the PPC if that helps      GW

I know, and no, it doesn't. I don't own a Glock, and don't plan to. Nothing against them, just not a fan. Now if they had a VP9 adapter... 

I was actually going to build a pistol caliber AR that would use Glock mags but after pressing for the truth on some of these kits and adaptors for 9mm ARs I decided to go with the Ruger. Glad I did. I want reliability, not an Easter egg hunt for figuring out someone else’s crappy engineering.

Both the Ruger and the Beretta get great reviews.

Archived