SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy load for 47-70

Leon Spings Bill

In a Marlin 1895 Cowboy I shoot long range out to 200 yards with 13 grains of Trail Boss under a 405 grain lead bullet.

for my Marlin 95 14.2 Unique with a 340 grn bullet.  Have SUCCESSFULLY shot it out to 300 meters. 

Full load APP 405 gr pill and let her fly :P

In my Marlin 1895 I like 23 gr. of  Accurate 5744 behind a hollow base 405 grain bullet, very accurate and I have done very well in side match long range competition at CAS shoots out to 400 yrds.  SCJ

On 3/12/2019 at 9:40 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

In a Marlin 1895 Cowboy I shoot long range out to 200 yards with 13 grains of Trail Boss under a 405 grain lead bullet.

Best load that I have shot at 200 for ringing steel.  Haven't tried it for punching paper.

Blackfoot

I've noticed folks using X amount of H4198, however my books call for IMR-4198 which I believe is a completely different powder. Any info here?

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've noticed folks using X amount of H4198, however my books call for IMR-4198 which I believe is a completely different powder. Any info here?

Yes they are different.

H4198 is actually made in Australia and we call it 2207.

1 hour ago, Leon Spings Bill said:

What about IMR Trailboss and Hodgdon Trailboss are they the same?

TB is made in Australia and sold to Hodgdon by ADI (Australian Defence Industries).

I just looked at the load tables for IMR TB and they are the same as Hodgdon and ADI so I believe they are the same

On 3/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

I'm only just starting to learn about reloading, but I recently had a similar question.  The answer was to look in different books.  Some books just don't cover certain powders.   

On 3/14/2019 at 10:59 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

There a a few powders that share the same number but the prefix is either IMR or H. Examples include

IMR 4198 and H4198

IMR 4895 and H4895

IMR4831 and H4831

IMR4227 and H4227

In every case the powders are not interchangeable even though they are now all made by Hodgdon.

IMR and Accurate also share numbers between several powders and they are not interchangeable either.

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

In every case the powders are not interchangeable even though they are now all made by Hodgdon.

I thought Hodgdon didn't make powder but were a bulk buyer and distributor?

Link is to an article which includes the powders from Aust and what Hodgdon calls them.

https://revivaler.com/hodgdon-powder-adi-australian-connection/

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:06 AM, Major Crimes said:

These containers are IMR, ADI and Hodgdon.

I don't think they would get away with the same image unless they were under licence from one supplier,.

download.jpg

images.jpg

download (1).jpg

Most likely the same parent Co. owns all three.

41 minutes ago, Knarley Bob said:

Most likely the same parent Co. owns all three.

ADI (Australian Defence Industries) was an Australian Company that started as an Aust Govt entity.

It is now a subsidiary of Thales which is a French company. 

Are IMR and Hodgdon French owned?

Archived