SASS Wire Forum

Renewed my CCW today

Henry T Harrison

My wife and I went into the Sheriffs office today to renew our permits.

In and out for both of us was eight minutes total absolutely no hassle.

The young female deputy was surprise wearing a nice stainless 1911 Nothing like living in central western PA Still for the moment the land of the free 

Gotta' renew mine in the next couple of days.  This will be my last renewal because in Tennessee you can now pay a one time fee and the card is good for life!!

Takes longer here because they have to send out to have em printed. Very small Sheriff's Dept.

It would go faster if I had a better memory. They always ask about previous *infractions*, and I always tell 'em, "You've got it right there in front of you, just like last time, and nothing's changed". But I have to try and remember everything and tell 'em again anyway.

"Is that all... are you SURE there's nothing else?"

"(crap, what am I forgetting...) Oh yeah, there was that fun & entertaining bar fight in Anacortes Washington back in '79 - three counts of simple assault and one of resisting arrest".

By the time it's over with, even I'M amazed they renew it. :lol:

Ohio's pretty fast I was in and out in 20 minutes! The Deputy Sheriff was a really friendly guy and so was everyone that worked there. They took my pic and the machine spit out a new plastic card! Awesome!!;)

Even more awesome would be permitless carry. I mean, what purpose does it serve, other than bypassing the background check when buying a gun? In all the years I've had it (only the 378th one issued in the county), no one has ever asked to see it. The whole concealed carry permit thing seems to be simply a revenue generator for the county, or a lead on where "authorities" can find who has guns when TSHTF. The guy who can't possess a gun because he's a convicted felon, isn't going to let lack of a concealed carry permit prevent him from carrying one.

Down here in Houston County, we fill out the renewal request online.  The next day they text you to come pick it up.  But the initial license took much longer.  About 30 minutes.

Since 1989 I have held a Carry Permit in NY (yes NY State), GA, TX, TN, and now FL. NY was that hardest and longest to get 6+ months. GA was the fastest and easiest to get: three days. TX had the best classes and shooting quals. FL was easy, only wanted to see a DD 214 with small arms quals, and Bingo!   Cheers  Hoss C.

Here in WA the renewal application itself only takes a few minutes, but then you have to wait a month or so while they do a fresh background check just in case you've been naughty since the last time. Eventually your renewal shows up in the mail.

Since the early 90’s I’ve had CCL’s in AR, TX, ND, CO and AR again. AR ( 1st time) and  TX process similar, ND the most in depth, CO and AR(2ed time)easiest. Just had to present a copy of my Gunsite certificate for CO. AR 2ed time, basically transferred  my CO permit Worst part is being without a permit while waiting for new permit. 

13 hours ago, Arkansas Jim 107095 said:

Worst part is being without a permit while waiting for new permit. 

Yup, once I accidentally let my CCW lapse (never got a renewal notice), and I had to wait over a month while the late renewal process completed. It drove me absolutely crazy to know that I couldn't CCW, first time since I'd reached 21.

SO!!  I went down to the DMV this morning to renew my permit. The actual operation, which included a new photo took about 20 minutes. The wait to reach the desk was three hours!

While I waited, I did the math on paying for a lifetime permit vs the standard eight year permit.  I’m 66 years old and the standard permit is $50.00 and the lifetime is $200.00.

In order to amortize the cost of lifetime permit, I need to live to age 98!!!  If I live that long and decide to renew, I’ll be GLAD to fork over another $50.00!!

5 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Here in Arizona you don't need a CCW license to carry.  Arizonians sometimes get a CCW license so they can carry in other states that reciprocate.

I was under the impression thet open carry required no permit, but CC did.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yup, once I accidentally let my CCW lapse (never got a renewal notice), and I had to wait over a month while the late renewal process completed. It drove me absolutely crazy to know that I couldn't CCW, first time since I'd reached 21.

I missed mine too last year. But the old one is valid for 90 days after expiration so I was good to go.

Even with my current LEO job, I keep a valid Concealed Carry permit.  In Alabama, it keeps me from having to go through a background check when buying from a FFL.  It wouldn't take me but 4 or 5 minutes if I didn't keep running into people to talk to at the courthouse.

14 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Even with my current LEO job, I keep a valid Concealed Carry permit.  In Alabama, it keeps me from having to go through a background check when buying from a FFL.  It wouldn't take me but 4 or 5 minutes if I didn't keep running into people to talk to at the courthouse.

I did the same in Florida when I was working. The Law Enforcement ID didn't mean squat when buying a gun. I Palm Beach County they still had a 7 day waiting period unless you had a CCW.:rolleyes:

In Texas our CCL (concealed carry license) changed to a LTC (license to carry). The last two times I renewed online and they mailed the new card to me.

51 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was under the impression thet open carry required no permit, but CC did.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_information.html

They sent me my renewal in April. Plenty of time, since it wasn't due until October. But it had a note saying that July 31st the price decreased. So I waited. And forgot. And suddenly remembered in the middle of September. Oops.

I think the new one arrived two, maybe three days before the old one expired.

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I see. I'm behind the times. Not sure why they issue CCW permits if it's a constitutional carry state and cc is legal without one??

32 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

The last time I renewed mine I got the Life Time permit.  $70 or $80.

Yep. All but Emily at my house and it's in the works now.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I see. I'm behind the times. Not sure why they issue CCW permits if it's a constitutional carry state and cc is legal without one??

1.  Arizonians sometimes get a CCW license so they can carry in other states that reciprocate.

2. With CCW license no background check when purchasing a firearm.

Personally, I opted out of getting the license, because I don't see that much advantage in it.

I'm in West Virginia where no permit is required to carry either open or concealed. Folks regularly open carry and no one cares. The permit does allow me to conceal carry in contagious states and 24 others, except for Maryland (where guns are totally evil and carry is a no-no). We have photo ID's that take about 2 weeks to renew and are very useful as they greatly speed up the federal NICS check, which is completely done online. I figure $75 every 5 years is no big deal. The sheriffs office has a window that does nothing but process permits with very fast service. WV's biggest concern is carrying loaded rifles in vehicles, a really big issue, because of the idiots that will stop anywhere they see a deer and try to take it. Get caught and it's lots of jail time.

Church Key

19 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I'm in West Virginia where no permit is required to carry either open or concealed. Folks regularly open carry and no one cares. The permit does allow me to conceal carry in contagious states and 24 others, except for Maryland (where guns are totally evil and carry is a no-no). We have photo ID's that take about 2 weeks to renew and are very useful as they greatly speed up the federal NICS check, which is completely done online. I figure $75 every 5 years is no big deal. The sheriffs office has a window that does nothing but process permits with very fast service. WV's biggest concern is carrying loaded rifles in vehicles, a really big issue, because of the idiots that will stop anywhere they see a deer and try to take it. Get caught and it's lots of jail time.

Church Key

In Colorado you and carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle but the chamber must be empty.

On 3/13/2019 at 6:23 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Kansas is one of those states. Constitutional carry came along after the CCW permits were allowed.

I got mine because I'm 5 minutes west of the Missouri line where they recognize KS permits. I also travel to OK several times a year where they also recognize KS permits. Makes life easier when traveling out of state. 

On 3/12/2019 at 7:12 PM, Perro Del Diablo said:

Wish I could get mine that fast even living in Texas

I renewed mine online.

Archived