SASS Wire Forum

Chamber Checker 38-55

I’ve hunted high and low, no luck. If you find a source, let me know. 

I’ve hunted high and low, no luck. If you find a source, let me know. 

Bob,

Are you looking for headspace gauges?

Here is an interesting chart from Clymer that discusses headspace gauge interchangeability (30-30 = 38-55).

http://www.clymertool.com/headspace-gauges/

Vic

Thanks for the responses, I'm looking for a go/no go gauge. I have them for 44-40, 45 ACP and 12 ga. Something like this. My 38-55 Highwall is pretty fussy about ammo and it's quite unraveling to be on the clock and not have a round chamber. I can and do check them in the rifle, but would like to do it in the living room watching TV and not have to be waving a loaded rifle around.

category267.jpg

semantics. However, you need a case gauge.

Do you full length reisze the brass?

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do you mean a case gauge?

Midway USA, has the L.E. Wilson(about the best made).38-55 gauge in stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012784517/le-wilson-case-length-gauge

OLG

Odds are that case gauge would be worthless with my two 38-55 rifles. One rifle requires a .379 diameter bullet. The other requires a .376 diameter bullet.  The rounds loaded with .379 bullets will not chamber in the other rifle.

You also have some 38-55s chambered for a case length of 2.085 and others chambered for a case length of 2.125. If this case gauge is to the current SAAMI specification then the longer brass will fail the case gauge even it is the correct brass length for the rifle.

The problem with 38.55 is that cartridge specifications are rather sloppy. If you look at the groove diameter specification it is 0.379 +0.002 Yet the cartridge specification lists max bullet diameter as 0.377 -0.003. This means that the bullet is from 2 to as much as 5 thousandths undersized for the bore.

The 38-55 was developed to shoot SOFT cast lead bullets that would bump up to groove diameter when fired. Hard cast lead the bullets do not bump up. This is why most 38-55 rifles have abismal accuracy shooting ammo loaded to SAAMI specifications.  :o

All 38-55 rifles should have their bores slugged to determine the correct diameter bullet for the rifle.. Starline makes their  38-55 brass with a very thin walls to accomidate the larger diameter bullets. Winchester brass has a thicker case wall and usually will not chamber in rifles that require larger than specification bullets.

I have a Marlin 336 in 38-55 (Ballard rifling) and a C Sharps Hi Wall in 38-55.  

The Marlin slugs at .379 and the C Sharps was ordered at .375 (Green Mountain barrel).

I would not full length resize. Since your case is fire formed to the chamber, neck sizing only should cure the problem. If the cartridge does not fully chamber, the full length sizing is affecting something.

I keep the cases separated and I never full length resize. I have found that most all 38-55s will handle the 2.125 brass. I was told the Marlin is made for the short brass but it will chamber the 2.125 without any indication of the case mouth bumping. The C Sharps is made for the 2.125 brass. 

A go/no gauge is for headspace measurement. The "plop" test used with the cartridge is a case checker and should be the one used to tell you if the round is within specs. 

Archived