SASS Wire Forum

Lee Precision Ergo Prime

Chickamauga Slim

I got a new Lee Ergo Prime in the hopes that it would work better than their last hand held primer. I can't get this thing to feed small pistol primers. They don't seem to fit in the elevator. Could I be doing something wrong or did I just waste my money?

I got rid of my Lee and got an RCBS and it works much better.

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I got rid of my Lee and got an RCBS and it works much better.

We got a Lee Ero Prime and fought it for a week or so.  It finally broke at where the primer sets to be pushed into the pocket.  We took it back to Grafs Retail to see if they had replacement parts.  We looked harder at the RCBS tool and desided to cut our losses and buy the RCBS.  Rick was was great and refunded us the price we paid on the Lee.  The RCBS is a MUCH better tool.  Only problem is,  it only likes RCBS shell holders.  I had to deepen the chamfer on other brand shell holders to work in it. 

The RCBS has a much better primer feed system.  

I have the OLD Lee primer and it has held up well and works well.  But I don't think they make it anymore.

I also have the RCBS that takes individual shell holders and I think it is better.  It is stronger and I can do more before my hands get tired compared to the old Lee.  The RCBS does take a little experimenting to be smooth but it works well and is made very well.

45 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I have the OLD Lee primer and it has held up well and works well.  But I don't think they make it anymore.

I used a couple of the first model Lee primer tools with screw-in shell holders for years.  Still have one someplace with a bunch of shell holders.  Also had two of the second generation Lee tools with the slide-in shell holders.  One went to my son (along with other things too numerous to mention). They work just fine.  But the new design with the elevator feed system sucks.  

I had a chance at a cowboy flea market to buy two second type complete in the boxes and didn't take them.  They are bringing a premium price on eBay now. 

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

...  Only problem is,  it only likes RCBS shell holders...

I've used my RCBS hand primer for nearly 20 years.  I have always used Lee shell holders (which is good because that's the dies I use which come with a shellholder), with no problem.

34 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I've used my RCBS hand primer for nearly 20 years.  I have always used Lee shell holders (which is good because that's the dies I use which come with a shellholder), with no problem.

I think the ones I tried were Hornady and Lyman.  

Lee also reworked their press mounted "safety prime."  The small one would not feed primers at all.  They sent me a replacement and it works fine.  I would give them a chance to make it right.  

On 3/12/2019 at 3:22 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I also have the RCBS that takes individual shell holders and I think it is better.  It is stronger and I can do more before my hands get tired compared to the old Lee.  The RCBS does take a little experimenting to be smooth but it works well and is made very well.

I also got the Old Lee Round Primer .

Worked great .

So I bought 6 of them .

The new ones SUCK !

Just sayin .

Rooster 

My opinion only - every time they have "improved" it - it's gotten worse.  I made the mistake of sending them my old one back when they offered a discount for it in exchange for a new one. 

On 3/12/2019 at 3:30 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I have the 2nd generation Lee hand primer & I believe the shell holders aren't the same as the press shell holders.  I find that after a while that my thumb is very sore.  I looked at the Ergo Prime & it doesn't look like it will allow priming significanly more cases before the pain is unbearable.   I believe that a hand primer that used a gripping motion would be best ergonomically.  I bought a Lee bench prime & mounted it on a board to prime while sitting in a comfortable chair watching TV.

Archived