SASS Wire Forum

Az State Championship - BORDERTOWN

Too Tall Bob

We have over 60 NEW TO BORDERTOWN SHOOTERS this year! 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Lizard,

Luckily, I'm traveling with another shooter who has attended many times.  We're driving and since I will be retired (U.S. history teacher) then,  I'm looking forward to "soaking in" as much as possible of a part of the country I have never visited.

And there is a lot of history in that area and even into NM area...Get it all...

Welcome to retirement..

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, LostVaquero said:

Just curious how many been to all twenty?

Well, none of the new shooters.........

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

Howdy Pards,

We have updated the Bordertown website with the latest shooter lists, and we have sent out all of the confirmation e-mails. If you did not receive a confirmation, or if we did not respond to your request for a change to your registration, please let me know.

Impressive list...Any break down as to who is shooting what or how many in each...Or where they are from...

Texas Lizard

4 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Q: Newbie question:  how many of the bigger matches have RV accommodations?

Your question probably deserves a new thread.  Many matches allow dry camping on range and some have numerous RV sites.  A few (for example Land Run) have electric and and water hookups.  The New Mexico Championship this year will have paved RV parking with electric hookups and nearby water.  Some matches are located in resort areas (for example the 4-Corners Regional) that have plenty of nearby RV camping with full hookups at commercial and government-owned parks.  End-of-Trail, the international championship and Winter Range, the national championship have both onsite camping and nearby RV Parks.  Naturally any onsite camping with utilities is in high demand.  Bordertown, the subject of this thread has limited onsite camping but nearby RV parks with full hookups.  At Bordertown my family stays at the Tombstone Territories RV park - mere ten minute drive from the shooting range.  There are other RV parks in and around Tombstone.

RVing fits in very well with the CAS sport.  Major matches have been described as RV rallys built around a shooting match.  There is much socializing in camping areas after the guns are cleaned.

• 4 weeks later...

Updates for our "new" Plainsman match--

This year's Plainsman side match is sponsored by SliX-Prings and SliX-Shot Nipples. The Plainsman categories include Modern Men, Modern Senior Men, Traditional Men, Traditional Senior Men, and Ladies (any age/rifle). The "modern" category allows any SASS-legal Plainsman rifle, but the "traditional" category prohibits the use of an ejector in the rifle -- detailed category rules.

Don't forget to check the Bordertown website regularly for future updates. Even though the main CAS match is full, you can still sign up for any of the side events (including the warm-up).

10 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

Updates for our "new" Plainsman match--

This year's Plainsman side match is sponsored by SliX-Prings and SliX-Shot Nipples. The Plainsman categories include Modern Men, Modern Senior Men, Traditional Men, Traditional Senior Men, and Ladies (any age/rifle). The "modern" category allows any SASS-legal Plainsman rifle, but the "traditional" category prohibits the use of an ejector in the rifle -- detailed category rules.

Don't forget to check the Bordertown website regularly for future updates. Even though the main CAS match is full, you can still sign up for any of the side events (including the warm-up).

Interesting set of rules for Plainman match....Just wonder whos handy work that was...

Texas Lizard

• 3 months later...

Bordertown is just around the corner! Check out the Bordertown website for full update details. I've also attached the update letter that will be going out to our registered shooters soon. ShooterUpdate_BT19.pdf

Here are the highlights:

- Wild Bunch (Oct 22-23) -- There are a few spots left for this 8-stage match, and you can shoot one or both days.

- BAMM -- We'll be hosting our first-ever Bolt-Action Military Match after the WB match finishes on Oct 23rd. Check the website for info.

- Doily Gang Ladies Transitions Clinic - Offered on Oct 23rd, but seats are limited. See the website for full details.

- Help! -- The Bordertown board could use a few extra hands around the range throughout the week. If you have some time and can lend a hand, we'd love the help.

- Costume Contest -- Costumes will be judged by a secret panel while shooters are shooting the 2nd day of the main match (between 10am-2pm).

- Pocket Pistol and Derringer Event -- Just-for-fun side event before Main Match awards on Sunday.

- Pre-Bordertown matches around Southern AZ -- Check out our October calendar for places to shoot before and after Bordertown.

- Tombstone Thunder (Nov 2-3) -- Check out OPSA website for info on this black powder preferred two-day match following Bordertown.

The registered shooter lists for Main Match and WBAS have also been updated on the website. Remember, no category changes are allowed after September 30th, and you can still register for any of the side events (Wild Bunch, Plainsman, Blast, Speed, Long Range) even if you are not registered for the Main Match.

See you soon!

On 3/24/2019 at 9:18 AM, Texas Lizard said:

And there is a lot of history in that area and even into NM area...Get it all...

Welcome to retirement..

Texas Lizard

Yo-Ho-De-O Texas Lizard will see you there pilgrim.

Jackrabbit Joe

Lots of Southern Az shooting opportunities before Bordertown too!

Friday Oct 4th - Pima Cowboys practice at Pima Pistol Club starting at 8 a.m.

Sunday Oct 6 - OPSA at Tombstone Livery

Friday Oct 11 - Pima Cowboys practice at Pima Pistol Club Starting at noon / set tgts for Saturday match then practice for an hour or 2 

Saturday Oct 12 - Pima Cowboys match at Pima Pistol Club - registration on line or at range office when you arrive. Match starts at 9 a.m. Swap meet after the match. 

Sat/Sun Oct 19/20 - Los Vaqueros 2 - 1 day matches at Tombstone Livery

Tuesday Oct 22 - Bordertown festivities begin at Tombstone Livery

Lots of chances to shoot and have fun!!

There are a few of us that will be shooting the Tennessee State on 10th - 12th and leaving from there to head west. We will be spending a little time where ever it is warm enough to ride motorcycles for a week or so then heading to Tombstone. See everyone there. My two favorite matches in one month. Way back when, I would run by T-Bones for a little informal match called Comin at Cha but he moved that one around so it does not work for me at this point.

Already packing and loading. Heading to my home away from home in about two weeks.

All you Bordertown Wild Bunch shooters, plan to come check out the Bolt Action Military Match after we finish WB on the 2nd day. The course of fire will require 15 rounds, will be shot standing/unsupported, and includes targets between 75-150yds.

Also, here's the round count for the 8-stage WBAS match:
196 Pistol
54 Rifle
36 Shotgun

Its really getting close. Shoot TN State next weekend, leave Wartrace heading West. Not sure where we are going to spend the time coming out but will be in Tombstone good and early the week of the 20th.

Cant wait to see everyone again.

Archived