SASS Wire Forum

New hat.

I went over to the VA hospital for my monthly coagulation blood test (a five minute drive each was and no one is there on a Monday morning) and an old couple were there wearing almost identical baseball caps, the old Kind that weren't adjustable.  Both of them were very elderly and there was a Marine Corporal in full Alpha uniform pushing the lady's wheel chair while the old man was holding the Marine's arm.

I looked at the caps and did a double take.  Both had the same wording on them "Japanese Occupation Forces 1945-1949."  The man's had a Marine Cops emblem patch and the lady's cap had a "U. S. ARMY NURSE CORPS"  patch.  His had Captain's bars stuck to the top and hers had red crosses on either side.

In five minutes I found out that had met in 1948 , he was 23 and she was 19, both assigned to the Occupation Forces.  She got out and he continued his career for a total of 32 years.  She went home to California and he met up with her there and they got married in 1950.  The young Marine was their great grandson and he was home on leave and drove over from Las Vegas to spend a few days with "My very favorite heroes."  It got sort of misty there for a few minutes.

They got called in ahead of me and were gone by the time they finally found a vein and got my blood.  I'd like to spend more time with them.

My dad was in the occupation forces while in the Army Air Corps.

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My dad was in the occupation forces while in the Army Air Corps.

Mine was in ground transportation.  Involved with the rail system.

My former father in law was in the occupation force of Japan in the Army.  Got recalled for Korea.  He never would discuss his service in Korea, although he readily talked about Japan.

He passed at 92 years of age recently.

Archived