SASS Wire Forum

Treads instead of wheels on atv

Trigger Mike

This weekend was the annual rattlesnake roundup and on display were some can am ATV. 1 had treads like a tank instead of tires. I figure you might need that for snow but the dealer is out of Savannah, ga. It rarely snows and never deep. Why else would you need treads instead of tires?

Track equipped ATVs and SxS are great in the mud and swamp.  Low impact on farm land, more surface area.  The increased ground clearance is nice for obstacles but not fun to climb up onto for old farts.  The ride is a little smoother. You'll never have a been stubble flat again.  The tracks add thousands of dollars to the price tag so you really have to want them.

Edit:  I looked up the CanAm specific ATV Appache track system.  It retails for about $4,200  plus install for the tracks and mounting kit.  

Do snow mobiles throw tracks often? Seems like they are a proven item.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

The snowmobile tracks are a completely different system.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The snowmobile tracks are a completely different system.

Kind of.  CanAm offers two different style track systems, a year round bogie system(different) and a snowmobile style snow only system (2" paddle with through window drive).  

6 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Not often.  Something generally has to break to cause an alignment issue.  The track is aligned during initial dealer setup.  It is more common for a track to rip apart into a long ribbon instead of a loop.  That is a wild ride because you have vary little control when the track shoots off.

Son has a Polaris Ranger with tracks to install in the winter.  First expensive. Then loud , noisy devices that take a lot of horsepower to drive and make turning radius huge.    But boy do they pull.   He hooks onto his fish house, points it were he wants to go.  Bulldozes a path for the wheeled units to follow.   Complains spends too much time pulling father in law out w

when he gets stuck in his wheeled Ranger.   Has not tested in mud so can not help you there.     GW

Ya , forgot to mention roughriding

I had a Polaris Ranger with prospector tracks. They worked great until the machine started to break. I went thru about 7k in repairs with after market axles, cv joints, steering box, etc.

I got rid of it.

I bought a set of Tatou 4 season tracks for my Yamaha Grizzly. We shall see.....

Archived