SASS Wire Forum

NOE Bullet Molds

Doc Coles SASS 1188

Has anyone been able to buy a bullet

mold from NOE Bullet Molds?  I have been trying to buy a hollow base mold for my 50-70 trapdoor from them for more than two years.  They are never in stock, multiple requests for information on how to get a mold have gone unanswered.  From their web site it appears like they want their customers to get a bunch of other folks to order a batch of a single type of mold before they will make it, but I can’t see anywhere where they say that explicitly.  Honestly, I have never had to try so hard to spend money with someone.  

Has as anyone cracked the code with these folks and actually bought a mold from them?

I check their site once a month when looking for a mold that is not a high-volume item.   Every once in a while they decide to make a batch of most designs.  I probably have 15 molds they made by doing just that.  They do make a nice mold.    Not as many in brass as I would like, and none in iron.   Sigh.

I'm sure that a 50 caliber hollow base is real low volume.  In fact, a hollow base may be something that no one really wants to cut a mold and plug for.....

A couple of high quality mold makers who will turn around a new design (for them) in just a few weeks -

Accurate Molds

Mountain Molds

The Cast Boolits web site has a "group buy" forum where you can recruit or join up on an existing group buy.  I think about 10 orders is enough to get NOE's attention, IFRR.

See:  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Group-Buy-Discussion

Good luck, GJ

I'm sure they would make the mold for you, if you were willing to pay all the set-up fees and development time. I have a few NOE molds, and they are a  great quality mold. Have they ever made the mold you are wanting? I did not see one in their catalog. If not, then is sounds like you are asking them to make you a one-off custom mold. Kinda like asking Uberti to make you a revolver but flute the barrel and use a different shape front sight. Sure, they could do it but it would be very expensive, and even then they probably have enough other regular work to do. 

Yes, the mold I want is in their catalogue. I have other 50-70 molds for my modern guns but the Springfields have oversized bores (sometimes dramatically so).  If you shoot Sami spec bullets in them they lead like crazy.  Hence the need for a hollow base.  

As for payng the setup costs, it might come to that but I would be annoyed.  This is the business they have chosen and it’s an item in their catalogue.  It seems like they should make them more than once every three years.

I looked at Accurate and Mountain Molds and they don’t do hollow base bullet molds.

Sorry Doc for not reading the caliber correctly. Ideal never made 50-70 mold with a hollow base so Lyman didn’t reinvent the wheel with one. Add not a volume caliber firearm ergo buy a flat base mold and drill out the hollow

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

Sorry Doc for not reading the caliber correctly. Ideal never made 50-70 mold with a hollow base so Lyman didn’t reinvent the wheel with one. Add not a volume caliber firearm ergo buy a flat base mold and drill out the hollow

I have been told that the military used a hollow base bullet for the 50-70 to deal with the variation in bore size on the trapdoors.  

14 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

50-70, not 45-70.  

Okay, here you go...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/434163/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-515-450-f-50-70-government-515-diameter-450-grain-flat-nose

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

Dutch-that Lee mold is not a hollow base mold

Oops! Sorry I missed that detail.  Nevermind.

23 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I check their site once a month when looking for a mold that is not a high-volume item.   Every once in a while they decide to make a batch of most designs.  I probably have 15 molds they made by doing just that.  They do make a nice mold.    Not as many in brass as I would like, and none in iron.   Sigh.

I'm sure that a 50 caliber hollow base is real low volume.  In fact, a hollow base may be something that no one really wants to cut a mold and plug for.....

A couple of high quality mold makers who will turn around a new design (for them) in just a few weeks -

Accurate Molds

Mountain Molds

The Cast Boolits web site has a "group buy" forum where you can recruit or join up on an existing group buy.  I think about 10 orders is enough to get NOE's attention, IFRR.

See:  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Group-Buy-Discussion

Good luck, GJ

I have one of Mountain Molds brass molds and it is a pleasure to use.

2 hours ago, Noz said:

I have one of Mountain Molds brass molds and it is a pleasure to use.

They don’t make hollow base molds so they are no use to me in this case.

Basis for hollow base nose pour. Pin must be outsourced.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=50-475MN-D.png

test

Archived