SASS Wire Forum

Why we do it

Lately with all the talk about who should take RO training, how it should be done, and all the rest of the stuff that goes with it, we sometimes lose the point of why we do it in the first place.

Granted that the more important reason were there is to ensure the safety of the shooter, fellow competitors, and spectators.

And were there to help facilitate scoring and the things that go along with that. 

But we sometimes forget an important reason why were there.

This past weekend I got to shoot a match down in Florida. Most people there didn't know me from Adam's house cat and that was just fine with me.

I did have the opportunity to run the timer for a shooter or two. One of those shooters reminded me why it is that I sometimes put myself through the hassle of holding that box.

This young man was too young to have been a participant in the original shootout at the ok corral, although he may have been a young witness to it. He needed a little extra help every now and then. Perhaps a second hand carry a rifle to the line or to the unloading table. Perhaps he need a little more assistance than anybody else on that range that Day to help him make sure that he hit the targets in a way that wouldn't have earned him a procedural penalty. there were times in the middle of his shooting strings when you had to think quick to figure out what Target to send him to next so that he can stay clean.

But he hit all the targets that day, although we couldn't help him work his way out of that one procedural.

I don't remember his times, I don't remember everything that we did to help him those 2 days, but I'll never forget the smile on his face, the joy in his eyes, and the gratitude in his voice when he would come up and thank you helping him get through one more stage. He was having the time of his life.

Immediately started to think of other cowboys we have helped along the way. Sadly, I started be counting the number of cowboys who I helped them through their last stage. They're no longer with us now, except those memories that will carry me to the range and through the rest of my life.

Experiences like that. The joy that one person can have on the firing line. Forgetting about the problems that they have. A body that no longer can keep up with the young man that's in his heart. Perhaps a body broken down buy cancer. Just spending some time at the range helps them forget about that. 

And if I'm able to help them out just a little bit, to shoot one more stage, and have the time of their life, please sign me up for whatever it is I need to do.

Because, I'll be here for them.

Branchwater,

Your attitude & the energy you bring to a match is one of the many reasons why I'm proud to be a Wartrace Regulator and ride the trail with you! When I pull my last smokewagon I hope you are there, I just hope it's many a shoot before that has to happen! Keep up the great work, you represent the best of SASS & the very best of Wartrace.

I am Chickamauga Slim and I approve this message

These are two fine cowboys, Wartrace is lucky to have them. As my pa Blue Boy SASS 46773 got to where he could no longer participate they were there to help him. He is always glad to see his cowboy buddies when the Boro possee meets for burgers on the Tuesday after our monthly match.

Imis

Branchwater

I'm glad I finally recognized where I seen you before.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

This game is for everyone that is young and young at heart.

It can be difficult and sometimes frustrating to run the timer for someone who has a hard time hearing and I have to admit it was challenging.

But the smile at the end of the day is what it really is all about.

It was good shooting with you. Hope to do it again sometime.

Waimea

That shoot in fl was fun and the wrangler you helped out is why I love to go shoot there he always shows up with a smile. we so often get tied up with trying to be faster and better and forget to enjoy ourselves. He Has truly figured out the fine points in life have fun and smile. Thanks for taking the time to look out for him.

This seems to be a great time to say "Thank you" to all the RO's that helped me through the stages last year while I was dealing with cancer and a bad shoulder. It gave me something to smile about.:D

Thank you Pards

EH

Well said, Jack!! With all of the hurts on this 71 year old body, I must admit I dread the day when I can't do it anymore. That will be a sad day, indeed.

im an NRA certified CRO , the SASS RO class is on my list because it makes you more aware of everything , just a great educational and enlightening experience , that even if you do not use gives you a better understanding 

Archived