SASS Wire Forum

side matches

Flinthills Dawg

I like my pocket pistols. I have 8 I think. I usually bring at least 4 to a match, some are much slower that others, but fun to shoot!  I also have an original Remington derringer in 41 Rimfire.  Not going to win any speed side matches, (hammer spring came from a 58 Buick!!!) but I always have folks wanting to shoot it.  

This reminds me, I need to load up a bunch of side-match ammo soon.  have 3 matches coming up! 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The primary side matches I shoot are WB, Plainsman, and Mini Match. Occasionally, I'll shoot clays, when the line is not too long. I've also been induced to shoot speed matches when they have an award and no one has shot it. :lol:

So, I've only encountered a problem with clays. It occurs  when people keep reshooting and the line is continually long. :o  An easy solution would be to allow those who have not shot the side match to go ahead of those who have. :)

As to the OP, my theoretical answer would be best time of three free tries for an award. Unlimited reshoots at $1 each for bragging rights, including an announcement at awards with the time.

PS About charging for side matches, I've often wondered why a match charges for a mini match, then does not post scores nor give an award. :(

10 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I just wish there was something other than speed this, speed that and speed the other thing.   Side matches that use different combinations of guns.  For example, instead of a 10-10-4, how about a 4-2-10-4 stage where the pocket pistol and derringer are substituted for the main match revolvers.  Other variations can be thought of.

we have done that at Butterfield Gulch in Chapman, Kansas.  We called it an all gun side match, your main match pistols, main match rifle, main match shotgun, PP, Derringer, 1911, and sometimes a 22 pistol, and long range rifle. It was fun but took a lot of time to run all the folks thru that wanted to shoot it. Because of the time constraint ya only shot it once.

Being in my 70s,  I will never win the match or anything with speed in the name. 

But, I do enjoy the Long Range Events.  If I drive three hours one way to a match and they say I only get to shoot once, I'm not coming.

I prefer unlimited attempts.  Just get in line and take your turn.

I have won at the state level and all I ever received is a paper certificate.

Chas

21 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

The secret is to be first to shoot then at least for a short period of time you're first :)

Joe, I always try that at the Tennessee State and it used to work very well. Now more shooters are ready to start as soon as the matches open so now I can only get my name in one or two books. The only side match I even have a remote chance to win is the Long Range Pistol.

Randy

When I work a speed side match I like once for score then back of the line if you want to shoot again for warm up or practice. My second choice working the side match is shoot as many times as you like then declare for score, but the shooter must return to the back of the line after each turn on the firing line. 

3 hours ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

we have done that at Butterfield Gulch in Chapman, Kansas.  We called it an all gun side match, your main match pistols, main match rifle, main match shotgun, PP, Derringer, 1911, and sometimes a 22 pistol, and long range rifle. It was fun but took a lot of time to run all the folks thru that wanted to shoot it. Because of the time constraint ya only shot it once.

Shooting the “shoot and scoot” as the encore was worth the price of admission.

2 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Anyone remember the old pot shoots - now that was always interesting.

Enjoyed the hell out of those...got real fun when the dollars started getting low.

5-Dogs had some epic battles...

Phantom

I like the way they do it at Comin at Cha you can shoot as much as you like then you declare a time. Person with closest time without going over wins, gives everyone a chance to win and not just the fast shooters. 

12 hours ago, Chili Pepper Jack said:

I like the way they do it at Comin at Cha you can shoot as much as you like then you declare a time. Person with closest time without going over wins, gives everyone a chance to win and not just the fast shooters. 

Cowboy Action Bracket Racing?

On 3/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Its legal in more states now..... :lol:

..........Widder

According to the contract with SASS we cannot do this at State and above.

No money or prizes may be may be given for place of finish in the main match, side matches, pot shoots, or demonstration matches. All prizes must be distributed randomly.

I like run all day fastest time wins. It's a speed match. Fastest time should win. It makes for an entertaining day and can really push shooters to run a fast time. I would've stopped at .42 if someone hadn't beat my time on speed derringer last year. You want to be able to say, did you hear so and so ran a -:-- on speed whatsit at TN state!? Not "so and so won speed whatsit with a 10.22 at TN state cause they only bobbled once". As Randy said, participation actually suffered when we did one run for time 3 or 4 years ago.

And a big NO on charging $ for runs. People pay entry fee and spend a lot of money at these shoots, let them have fun.

7 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Cowboy Action Bracket Racing?

Don't know if you would call it that or not lol. I see post about it is a speed match all about fast times. I see it as speed is a relative thing if you'r doing it just with the fastest time on the clock at ANY shoot you will have 2-3 people competing for the buckle and that is it. So EVERYONE else is just practicing really and they all know that. With this everyone can push as hard as they can to make that time they are going for with a chance to take something home. I have never won a side match at Comin at Cha was within .01 last year and Black Fish got me. LOL I just think it makes if fun and gets more people out doing the side stuff when they have a chance. 

For myself, I am not in the top 10% (or 20% or 30%) so I could never compete in something like top speed runs. Seeing the top 10 or so, shooters try to run all day and best each other by thousandths of a second may be interesting, but I would never enter. What's the point? Burn ammo and still finish way back, nah.

I'll try to make my speed in the main match.

Fellers,

It ain't exactly about 'winning' the side match.   Its about having a blast (no pun intended) with

a couple of your shooting buddies or even with your competition 'nemesis'.

Make no mistake about it, when I get a chance to shoot the SG all day, I shoot it all day.

I get there early before even a line develops.  As the line grows, I take some time off.

I even spend some time answering questions from others about techniques, etc.....and

on MULTIPLE occasions,  I have used my turn on the firing line to actually give slow and deliberate

demonstrations that might help others.

When RED KNEE shows up, he and I both only have 1 priority..... to whoop the other.

Other competitors might even whoop both of us..... and so be it.

But with Red Knee and myself, its only about the bragging rights between us, not necessarily 

anyone else.

You wanna experience a fun side match and also feel involved in it,  find one where 2 or 3 friends are

going after one another.   You'll discover a super fun atmosphere with a healthy attitude that

its only a game..... and FRIENDS are making memories and enjoying the day.

P.S. - Some of the 'bantering' is worth the price of admission!   ;)

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

If I never shot in a side matchvthat I didn’t have a shot at winning, I’d probably never have won a side match. This idea that the contest needs to be set up so you can win or it’s not worth playing sure ain’t what will make you better. 

Oh come on now. 

Look, I do okay in main matches, but if you think I can beat you in a speed event where you have unlimited runs... yer crazy.

So why should folks like me even try?

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a rat's ass about speed events. But don't try and portray that the speed events are winnable when they are unlimited run events.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh come on now. 

Look, I do okay in main matches, but if you think I can beat you in a speed event where you have unlimited runs... yer crazy.

So why should folks like me even try?

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a rat's ass about speed events. But don't try and portray that the speed events are winnable when they are unlimited run events.

Phantom

Why aren't they winnable?   I've shot over 500 rounds at one to get 2nd.  Won with first run,  and a bunch in between.  Anybody can have a bad day.   Heck I even managed to squeak past duece a couple years ago to get speed pistol at regionals. 

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

Why aren't they winnable?   I've shot over 500 rounds at one to get 2nd.  Won with first run,  and a bunch in between.  Anybody can have a bad day.   Heck I even managed to squeak past duece a couple years ago to get speed pistol at regionals. 

Perhaps in my desire to be humble, I didn't articulate my thoughts well.

Unlimited runs for speed side matches greatly reduces the population of potential winners.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Perhaps in my desire to be humble, I didn't articulate my thoughts well.

Unlimited runs for speed side matches greatly reduces the population of potential winners.

Phantom

I understand that and that’s the reason I limit my match to three runs. It was asked and that’s what my shooters wanted. My prior statement was more about the whoever gets closest to their predicted time type thing. Or other ways of making it a coin toss. 

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Fellers,

It ain't exactly about 'winning' the side match.   Its about having a blast (no pun intended) with

a couple of your shooting buddies or even with your competition 'nemesis'.

This right here^. It wouldn't matter if Widder and Red Knee weren't both top 97 shooters. Sitting around watching a couple people get after it is fun. The back and forth is as entertainin as the shooting. Be just as much fun if it took them 5 seconds on 6. Heck, I dont even shoot a 97(though I just got one:ph34r:). I'm a firm believer the competition of trying to beat or even hang with some of these fast shooters will make you faster too. If you have no reason to try and go faster, how will you ever get faster. Be nice to hear some of these winning speed runs on here. Cant ever find winning times on side matches anywhere.

This really comes down to why people do stuff.

If you're enjoyment is the competition and winning, then unlimited runs just seems pointless.

If you're just there to enjoy the side match for what it is, and less so about the win, then unlimited runs is what makes it fun.

Neither side is wrong, just different strokes for different folks.

We do two chances with best time counts, after that (as long as other shooters are not waiting for their scoring time) if just for bragging rights. We decided on two because anyone can have a gun problem or a bad run, but at the same time, we decided we did not want three people standing there dominating the side match

19 minutes ago, StirrupTrouble said:

We do two chances with best time counts, after that (as long as other shooters are not waiting for their scoring time) if just for bragging rights. We decided on two because anyone can have a gun problem or a bad run, but at the same time, we decided we did not want three people standing there dominating the side match

I like that idea.

The fun in side matches for me is in the shooting, not in winning some trophy that I’ll bring home and keep in a box in the garage until it’s old enough to throw away.

So for me it’s unlimited.  

Why bother to bring derringers, pocket pistols, pistol caliber rifles, long range single shot rifles, rifle caliber lever action rifles, and assorted shotguns, not to mention main match guns and .22’s all to matches just to run them one time in a side match?   For a lot of these guns it’s the only time I get to shoot them in public.

As far as me winning because I kept reshooting?  The planet would run out of lead first.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

The fun in side matches for me is in the shooting, not in winning some trophy that I’ll bring home and keep in a box in the garage until it’s old enough to throw away.

So for me it’s unlimited.  

Why bother her to bring derringers, pocket pistols, pistol caliber rifles, long range single shot rifles, rifle caliber lever action rifles, and assorted shotguns, not to mention main match guns and .22’s all to matches just to run them one time in a side match?   For a lot of these guns it’s the only time I get to shoot them in public.

As far as me winning because I kept reshooting?  The planet would run out of lead first.

Argument does work if the Side Match allows you as many runs as you want, but you have to declare for the one that goes in the books.

As far as the "winning" comment, we are a competition.

Phantom

49 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Argument does work if the Side Match allows you as many runs as you want, but you have to declare for the one that goes in the books.

Phantom

That's not a problem..... I'll just declare my fastest run to go into the books..... :lol:;)

..........Widder

Archived