SASS Wire Forum

side matches

Flinthills Dawg

When it comes to side matches, how do you prefer to score it? Meaning 1 attempt for time, or multiple attempts for time? Where does one draw the line for side match scores? I've been at shoots where 1 attempt and that's your time, others I've done is 2 attempts best time is your score. Even had one place that ya shot it twice and combined the scores for your time. Me personally I feel ya get 1 attempt for score.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

No limit on attempts. Otherwise we don't get to see events like Widder and Red Knee trying to be fastest at speed 97' all afternoon.

But than you get far fewer participation.

I like declaring when the run counts, and then a 50/50 pot or an "I bought it" award.

4 minutes ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

ok Tyrel Cody if unlimited attempts whats a good way to keep the times correct for fastest time?

Best I remember TN State writes alias and score on a white board and only keeps up with the top 3. 

At the Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly in Norco, Ca. long range rifle side match we let them shoot three volleys of 9 shots on three targets and they get to turn the best one in for score. Sadly we only had 9 total long range rifle participants at the last GFBJL.

23 minutes ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

Phantom, I like that idea, try as many times as you want but you must declare this is for score and live with the decision.

This is what we typically do. Some practice a lot and others not so much. So long as we're burning powder and throwing lead down range, we are having fun.:D

At the SASS Western Regional (CVR) and at the Lazy Arrow ShootOut (PRVC) the first round is free, and it is $2.00 for each additional round. While many matches record only the fastest scores, we record the time for each round the shooter does. More often than not, they like to review how they've done, and, if they see continuously-improved scores, it temps them to go again.

RR

Our very first Illinois State Match back in maybe 2005??

Side matches.. 

You got ONE chance ONLY to shoot it..  That was yer time..

If you won it great... You won a trophy for that side Match..

But..

After that one chance was over?? :rolleyes:

You could shoot it as many times as you wanted..

If you had the BESTEST FASTEST time for that side match??

They awarded you an "I BOUGHT IT" trophy for that side match..

Rance ;)

Thinkin I gotta " I Bought It" for a team event..:D

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Best I remember TN State writes alias and score on a white board and only keeps up with the top 3. 

We write it in a book and typically only write another if it breaks the current lead. We got less participation several years ago when only the first run counted. We run each side match in a separate bay except Cut the Rope and Pocket Pistol share a bay, so the back-ups aren't bad. I've shot some matches where all side matches were in the same bay, it can get pretty crowded at a match like that.

Randy

As many as you want but you only shot one try then back of the line, unless there is no line.   We keep the fastest time on the white board.  

I think if you are gonna call it 'Side Match Speed', then there shouldn't be any restrictions of attempts.

Its there for fun and entertainment.   And, fastest run is recognized as such when the day is over.

Besides,  Red Knee needs all the chances he can get regardless of his competition..... :lol:

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I think if you are gonna call it 'Side Match Speed', then there shouldn't be any restrictions of attempts.

Its there for fun and entertainment.   And, fastest run is recognized as such when the day is over.

Besides,  Red Knee needs all the chances he can get regardless of his competition..... :lol:

..........Widder

But don't you think that reduces participation?

The not-so-fast folks don't even bother to play since they know the top folks will sit there all day 'till they win. Nice thing about declaring is that it opens up the Win to someone that didn't choke...or whatever. That makes a competition fun. Otherwise it's just a silly side show.

Just my opinion...

Phantom

I like 3 attempts, take your best score. Especially for pocket pistols because sometimes those old guns don’t run so well. 

10 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But don't you think that reduces participation?

The not-so-fast folks don't even bother to play since they know the top folks will sit there all day 'till they win. Nice thing about declaring is that it opens up the Win to someone that didn't choke...or whatever. That makes a competition fun. Otherwise it's just a silly side show.

Just my opinion...

Phantom

I've never noticed any lack of participation from shooters.   I don't have any

number statistics but I know I take my place in line with all those other shooters.

I get involved in the Side Matches regardless of how the host club sets the rules/guidelines.

I can't answer as to why some shooters decide to play or not.   I do know that many have commented

to me they enjoy the side matches for warmup practice.   

..........Widder

5 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I've never noticed any lack of participation from shooters.   I don't have any

number statistics but I know I take my place in line with all those other shooters.

I get involved in the Side Matches regardless of how the host club sets the rules/guidelines.

I can't answer as to why some shooters decide to play or not.   I do know that many have commented

to me they enjoy the side matches for warmup practice.   

..........Widder

I've asked...got many responses over time...but I do know there are fair amount the say "why bother" when folks can just sit there are day and run like mad with no worry of whether you screw up.

No easy answer fer sure.

My mentor China Camp looked at me cross eyed at EOT some years ago asking why I was doing the speed matches. He said it puts the wrong thoughts in my head. I started to not do them outside of just checking out my guns.

Phantom

For me if it's one run only I won't even get my guns out. Let em run fastest period. Since I never ever get to live fire I use side match day as a way to blow off steam and hang out with friends. Course I'm just an old exhibition shooter and thats all I got to hang my hat on anymore. 

We allow three go rounds for speed. Shooters can shoot more if they want, just not for the trophy.  

If you keep score of the fastest shooter only, it could become an issue if that shooter DQ's. Then, who was the next fastest shooter. 

Had that happen to me, I had second best time and then the fastest guy put a bullet through the table trying to get a faster time.

If anyone has an attitude of "why bother" in relationship to side matches, then "why bother" shooting the

main match?

Lets be honest:

If Joe BoBo,  Dr.Smellfunkus, or Professor Bottlestopper thinks they are gonna step up to the speed rifle,

shotgun or pistol stage and somehow beat folks like Deuce, Santa Fe River Stan, Lassiter, Red River Ray,

Red Knee, Hell's Comin, Missouri Traveler, Tater, Sidekick and probably even Phantom,  they need

to rethink things out more clearly.

The "why bother" crowd will sometimes blame their shortcomings on those who have labored to exceed.

And those who have labored to exceed have set standards unthinkable a few years back, and

indeed, have made it difficult for most of us to win.   But the purpose is to have fun.....ALL DAY

FUN.

Of course, most of this is just my opinion.    

Personally, I have enjoyed the Side Match events since my first big match about 12 years ago.

I got involved in the rifle, pistol and SG side matches..... and got whooped good in all of them.

I can actually remember that Lassiter whooped me Speed Pistol, and Copperhead Joe and Prestidigitator

beat me in Speed Shotgun 97.    And that wasn't the last time I've been beat either.

But it didn't deter from the Fun Factor, which was (and is) still my main reason being involved in

the side match speed events.

EDITED:  wish I had read Deuce's post first.  Then I wouldn't have typed out all this stuff.

..........Widder

I know I can never beat most people in speed events.  So usually like to make some fun bets with some pards whose stage times are very similar to mine. Kind of put up a challenge against them for a $2 bill or something.  

So personally I like to run it as many times as I can for score.  Makes getting the guns dirty worth while that way.

Widder & Red Knee put on one hell-of-a-show.  It is a pleasure just to be able to watch such demonstrations.  It even gets better when Box Car Kid wanders in.  At TN State we have several super match ups, 'Tator, Sidekick, Unplesant, Missouri Lefty,  and many more.  Everybody has I good idea who is going to take home the small wooden memento, it could be any one of a dozen,  The ladies are just as tuff!!  Go & watch, maybe learn or just root on your favorites.  

I started doing side matches because I had no hope of winning anything else.  It was my only way of getting anything at a match.  I didn't win the first few years, but I could gauge how much faster I was getting.  

Now I use it as a stress reliever.  It's fun and I don't do it for the awards. Usually there is one shooter at state that is fun to compete with.  At regionals it's seeing how close i get to duece. Or at least making sure he has to be on his A game.  In my experience I see more people around the stages where the fast shooters are not less.  

I very much prefer unlimited runs because, well, I like to shoot. More shooting is more fun. I can however understand folks who dislike unlimited runs and think best of 3 is an OK compromise. I absolutely detest matches that charge for additional runs. My 2¢. 

This year we are trying something different for us.

Shoot each side match as many times as you want. We request a $1.00 donation for each run after the first.

There will be a TOP THREE board at each side match so you can see who is the leaders and by how much.

Mostly one match per bay but there are a couple that are doubled up.

Our Hickok shot has always been a favorite since we started it. One shot from you pistol at 75 yards. 

Precision rifle also gets a workout. 10 shots at 10 6" knockdowns at 25 yards.

First place gets the award

We have unlimited runs at Purgatory, the NJ state championship.   I run the side matches and people enjoy the competition as well as the social aspect.  

Gringo

I just wish there was something other than speed this, speed that and speed the other thing.   Side matches that use different combinations of guns.  For example, instead of a 10-10-4, how about a 4-2-10-4 stage where the pocket pistol and derringer are substituted for the main match revolvers.  Other variations can be thought of.

This will be my third year running side matches at Purgatory.  I try to add new ideas each year.  This year we’ll have speed 1911 added in at the same bay as speed pistol.  The Hickok Tutt duel was well attended last year.  Hopefully I will have something new for long range as well.  Our scoring is done on a pad in each bay. Only the fastest score is listed. If beaten the score is crossed out and new score is added below.  We try to keep it simple. 

Gringo 

I’ve always been a fan of 2 awards / first run for the win and then fastest overall.  I think it rewards someone who can walk up and perform right out of the gate but also love to watch the best compete for fastest overall.

Best regards,

Chili

Archived