SASS Wire Forum

stripper clips

I need a dozen each of five round stripper clips in .30 Krag (.30-40) for an 1895 Browning / Winchester, and .35 Remington auto for - you guessed it - a Model 8 Remington auto.

The web seems to have no info on these clips in these calibers.  JFIW I checked and the head diameters are different so I can't use one for the other nor can I find any that are similar enough that I can use them, either..

Howdy Forty Rod

I tried to find stripper clips for my 300 Savage model 81 which are the same as the 35 Remington, I found clips that would hold the cartridges but they all have the stops that limit how far into the magazine they can go, on the ends of the clip for the Remington 8 and 81 the stops need to be in the middle of the clips to allow them to get far enough into the magazine to feed.  I picked up a few clips for my 81 and model 8's in 30 Remington off ebay but they were downright pricey.

I haven't looked in quite a while but I thought at the price the clips were going for someone would start making repro's but I haven't seen any.

Good luck hope you find some.

Willy B'

I found a Forgotten Weapons video shooting a Model 8 in 300 Savage in a 2 gun competition.  In a comment the author states he was using M14 stripper clips.  "The Remingtons did have their own clips, but I found that M14 clips worked fine, so that’s what I used."  www.forgottenweapons.com/2-gun-action-with-a-remington-model-8-video/

Forty Rod,

I don’t know if this will work with 30-40 Krag but in the last paragraph of this article the writer mentions that the Russians used the same stripper clips in tgeir 1895s that they used in their Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R rifles.

https://www.range365.com/winchester-model-1895-gun-history

cart762x54r.jpg

.30-40%20Krag25.gif

Perhaps not. The base dimensions of the Russian round are 0.030” larger.

Forty - your 95 has stripper clip guides?

'Cause mine sure don't.

If you're just looking for something to hold them together in your pocket or pouch, 303 Brit has almost the same head, so maybe charger clips for an Enfield?

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Forty Rod,

I don’t know if this will work with 30-40 Krag but in the last paragraph of this article the writer mentions that the Russians used the same stripper clips in tgeir 1895s that they used in their Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R rifles.

https://www.range365.com/winchester-model-1895-gun-history

cart762x54r.jpg

.30-40%20Krag25.gif

Perhaps not. The base dimensions of the Russian round are 0.030” larger.

The Russian contract rifles were chambered in 7.62 Russian and came with a stripper clip guide that bolted on the outside of the receiver.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Forty - your 95 has stripper clip guides?

'Cause mine sure don't.

If you're just looking for something to hold them together in your pocket or pouch, 303 Brit has almost the same head, so maybe charger clips for an Enfield?

No clip guides but the two clips I had (before I used them to death worked okay, you just had to hold them steady)/

One other issue: the '95 s in .30-40 have to have the rounds loaded in such a way that each round is ahead of the next one in the stack so they will feed properly.  Otherwise the lower round tends to block the top one from moving forward without binding.

• 2 months later...

Got the Argentine Mauser M91 Early stripper clips for 7.65 Mauser (slim & thin, no guide bumps)  from Liberty Tree Collectors.  They hold the 35 Remington cartridges just fine.  I was able to use it to load my Model 8.  Took a little practice, but it is doable.  

IMG_4974.JPG

Let me know if you need any Mosin clips I got em. No charge.

I scrounged some various Mauser stripper clips and actually bought a real Model 8 stripper clip.  The thin Argentine works intermittently, sometimes success, sometimes jamming half way through. The other Mauser stripper clips worked even less reliably.  The real McCoy worked first time, every time.  Long story, short - Mauser stripper clips are OK for storage, not for loading.

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

and here I thought you were talking about illicit video shot in men's clubs

My thought exactly, J. Mark.  Imagine my disappointment.

Archived