SASS Wire Forum

Jump School

Subdeacon Joe

I don't know if the video really is from Flintlock 2019, but it is interesting.

https://theaviationist.com/2019/03/09/really-bad-african-paratroops-demonstrate-every-jump-ramp-error-in-one-jump/?fbclid=IwAR2NZ0gQLqnDeAXHsIaXgQXAN11nJgV6_kb3_aIzSFnbfUHIBprs4-w2iuM

Military static line parachuting is safe when practiced correctly, but minor mistakes can quickly turn a jump into a disaster. Take a look at these.

This video appeared on social media early this week from the Flintlock 2019 military exercise in the Sahel region of Africa. Whoever the unit is in the video- and no one is giving them credit (or blame…), they demonstrate about every aircraft exit mistake a static line parachutist can make short of actually forgetting to hook up their static line.

The video has disappeared from social media, but we managed to make a video of the video before it disappeared.

Wow! Just wow. We used to jump the C47 or the old H34 chopper a lot when I was in Germany in 68. (The good equipment was in Vietnam) Due to the limited room in the cabin of the chopper you could only squeeze 8 guys in it. The static line cable was on the floor. You hooked up and slid off the bench seat onto the deck on your butt with legs hanging out the door. Then you pushed off into space with your hands. The low airspeed of the chopper meant it took about 6 seconds to deploy the chute. New guys had to be warned about this or they’d do the standard 4 count, look up and see no canopy, and pull their reserve, much to the amusement of the other jumpers and aggravation of the Drop Zone Safety Officer.

Most common mistake I saw when we ramp jumped a C130 was jumping up and banging your noggin on the overhead. :D

BB09E137-3713-4795-853A-F30E07614B88.jpeg

E0393131-129C-432C-80EF-30EC88769CF4.jpeg

C-141s had their own peculiarities, one being the spoiler that swivels out into the wind stream and the cute little step  at the bottom of the door.

All week we had been doing our 'manly' agressive leap from the mock-up's door.  Once on the plane the loadmaster asked if we knew how to jump from the plane.  We told him to leap out with all our might.  

He laughed and explained if we jumped past the spoiler all 'things bad' would happen, rather just take a step off the platform 

Good advice  

I see Sergeant Airborne totally losing his s&;t on anybody who departed a ramp like that!

But I was also reminded of a certain senior NCO who had a certain way of teaching new jumpers to maintain strict control of their static line hookup. If you were ahead of him in the stick and didn’t control your hook, he’d remove it from the cable and fasten it to his harness. 

Upon departure, the unsuspecting soldier had about four extra seconds of fall before the NCO’s chute opened and only then activated the soldier’s chute. 

Kind of a bad idea in my opinion, but that’s how the particular unit operated. 

We .... My C-130 crew were delivering a Sheridan via Parachute extraction and it's crew right behind it.  After I kicked out the Sheridan I turned to send out the tank crew.  They were "gone."  The crew had snuck into the Sheridan, strapped in and went out IN the vehicle.  They all were banged up pretty good when the Sheridan landed.  Case of Beer Dare.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

We .... My C-130 crew were delivering a Sheridan via Parachute extraction and it's crew right behind it.  After I kicked out the Sheridan I turned to send out the tank crew.  They were "gone."  The crew had snuck into the Sheridan, strapped in and went out IN the vehicle.  They all were banged up pretty good when the Sheridan landed.  Case of Beer Dare.

Dumbest tank crew ever. Inassume they were all disciplined. Should have been psych evaluated too.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I see Sergeant Airborne totally losing his s&;t on anybody who departed a ramp like that!

But I was also reminded of a certain senior NCO who had a certain way of teaching new jumpers to maintain strict control of their static line hookup. If you were ahead of him in the stick and didn’t control your hook, he’d remove it from the cable and fasten it to his harness. 

Upon departure, the unsuspecting soldier had about four extra seconds of fall before the NCO’s chute opened and only then activated the soldier’s chute. 

Kind of a bad idea in my opinion, but that’s how the particular unit operated. 

Another psycho.

At least the Sheridan was fine.  Being Air Force, I never heard what disciplinary action was handed out to the Sheridan crew.  Never had anyone else do anything that stupid again though.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

At least the Sheridan was fine.  Being Air Force, I never heard what disciplinary action was handed out to the Sheridan crew.  Never had anyone else do anything that stupid again though.

Any unit I was in, that wold have been some serious discipline. Especially for the vehicle commander.

I'm surprised they had room for their chutes or did they leave the in the plane?

Left their chutes in the forward equipment bin in the airplane.... I was too busy setting up the delivery and didn't pay attention to the crew until it was time to "Hook-Up"

PS:  Sloppy on the Aircrew as well.  Too much attention deficit.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Left their chutes in the forward equipment bin in the airplane.... I was too busy setting up the delivery and didn't pay attention to the crew until it was time to "Hook-Up"

PS:  Sloppy on the Aircrew as well.  Too much attention deficit.

Unbelievable! :unsure:

Archived