SASS Wire Forum

Taking a trip

Dorado

Ok, so I've decided that I'm taking a trip to Utah to see my brother as well as going to Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks as well as hitting up some other nearby attractions. I have two choices facing me now. Do I fly and rent a car to get around or do I drive? I have a truck camper that I can stay in while on my trip. I'll be coming up from Texas.  Flying and renting a car is the more expensive of the options while driving...well I'd be doing 2-3 days there 2-3 back. I can only take off for two weeks so that really cuts into my time. I'd rather drive my camper up there as it'd be more comfortable.  I just can't seem to make up my mind. Any advice from those that have do this trip?

Also, any advice on a good cheap car rental would be wonderful. I can't seem to find anything that doesn't break the bank.

You see lots of interesting stuff on the ground.  I will only fly if forced at gunpoint!  Travel with freedom.

I enjoy the journey. I bought a new truck & trailer in '05, and planned a little shakedown trip to see the Cody museum, then some friends near Boise, then back to Helena... I got back two months and 10,000 miles later, traveled through 41 states, border to border and coast to coast. :lol:

I don't think I've been on an airliner this century yet...

Well, with 2 weeks off that is a total of 16 days off work including the 3 weekends. 6 days of travel leaves 10 days for visiting, touring, relaxing, etc.

If 10 days is enough I would say travel the way you’d like too.

A word about rental cars. None are inexpensive. The ones they are still come with all those bull sh...uh, taxes and fees. Then there is the overpriced insurance. The only real break you can get is if you do rent it for a long duration. Also, if your personal auto insurance will cover your rental car that would be a savings. The taxes and fees would still have to be paid.

It seems like every time I rent a car it costs me double what it started out to cost.

Surely sounds like a fun road trip~!  :)

Plus, it'll be much easier to take along your toys....  :rolleyes:  

Texas to Utah isn’t a bad drive. I only fly if I have to go to the east coast

How to save money on Rental cars.

1. Do not rent at the airport if possible.  Go online and rent the car from an off airport location.  Will save you a bundle. When you get to the airport hail a cab or call an Uber/Lyft for a ride to the rental agency. One Caveat you have to arrive in time to get to the rental agency before it closes If you are significantly delayed you may be without a ride till the following morning.

2. Because you are renting long term check the rates for all classes of cars from all available rental agencies including premium or luxury class cars.  My last time to rent a car I got a crew cab pickup for less money than a intermediate car.  Truck rode a lot better and made the trip that much nicer.

3. Unless you have cut rate insurance or a liability only policy odds are your insurance will cover damage to a rental car. If your policy doesn't talk to your agent about a temp rider it will save you some money. Some credit cards cover damage to a rental as a perk of having their card.

4. Always agree to return the car full. Any other option winds up costing you more money, even if you fill up at the airport.

5. Lastly be aware that some car rental companies do not allow their cars to be driven across multiple state lines. Nothing s worse that discovering you have violated the contract when the car has a mechanical issue or accident. They could stick you for the repairs.

One bonus of driving is that you can include destinations along the way as part of the trip. Try to make the trip some kind of loop rather than taking the same route home that you too to get there. Don't stay on the interstate. Travelling the side roads may add a day to the trip but you will get to see a lot of very interesting attractions. Santa Fe, Taos, Gallup, and Albuquerque have a lot of old west history if you do some research. Flagstaff to Paige to Kanab is a beautiful drive. Gallup to Cortez takes you awfully close to the Lazy Bob Ranch. Durango has an awesome train. Lots of little town have off beat attractions take the time to stop and see them. 

Go to Google maps and click on a town and select what's near by. Type in attractions and hit enter. Did this for La Junta Colorado population 6900. Turns out is has several museums including Bent's Old Fort and Picket Wire Canyonlands Guided Auto Tour. All in a town of less than 6900 and it is only a days drive from your home.

Always obey the speed limits when driving on tribal lands. The reservation police will cut you zero slack. Most small towns have the obligatory speed trap. They get you for failing to slow down to the new posted speed BEFORE you get to the sign or accelerating before the sign when leaving town.

Plan your fuel stops carefully and have a backup plan. This plan should including the possibility that your fuel stop will be closed or out of fuel. Have a backup and never pass up the opportunity to top off when driving in the more remote locations. $5.00 a gallon fuel is a bargain compared to walking.

Unless I missed it, but, when are you planning to travel?  

13 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

You see lots of interesting stuff on the ground.  I will only fly if forced at gunpoint!  Travel with freedom.

That's what I was thinking. I haven't flown anywhere since.....2005ish. Got to laugh at some crazy germaphobe lady. That was the only thing I actually enjoyed on that trip.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, with 2 weeks off that is a total of 16 days off work including the 3 weekends. 6 days of travel leaves 10 days for visiting, touring, relaxing, etc.

If 10 days is enough I would say travel the way you’d like too.

A word about rental cars. None are inexpensive. The ones they are still come with all those bull sh...uh, taxes and fees. Then there is the overpriced insurance. The only real break you can get is if you do rent it for a long duration. Also, if your personal auto insurance will cover your rental car that would be a savings. The taxes and fees would still have to be paid.

It seems like every time I rent a car it costs me double what it started out to cost.

I've got lots of time off and I may be able to squeeze out another day or two by then as well. I'll enjoy the time off to relax and get away from people. It'd be great not to hear that phone ring for a while.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How to save money on Rental cars.

1. Do not rent at the airport if possible.  Go online and rent the car from an off airport location.  Will save you a bundle. When you get to the airport hail a cab or call an Uber/Lyft for a ride to the rental agency. Once Caveat you have to arrive in time to get to the rental agency before it closes If you are significantly delayed you may be without a ride till the following morning.

2. Because you are renting long term check the rates for all classes of cars from all available rental agencies including premium or luxury class cars.  My last time to rent a car I got a crew cab pickup for less money than a intermediate car.  Truck rode a lot better and made the trip that much nicer.

3. Unless you have cut rate insurance or a liability only policy odds are your insurance will cover damage to a rental car. If your policy doesn't talk to your agent about a temp rider it will save you some money. Some credit cards cover damage to a rental as a perk of having their card.

4. Always agree to return the car full. Any other option winds up costing you more money, even if you fill up at the airport.

5. Lastly be aware that some car rental companies do not allow their cars to be driven across multiple state lines. Nothing s worse that discovering you have violated the contract when the car has a mechanical issue or accident. They could stick you for the repairs.

One bonus of driving is that you can include destinations along the way as part of the trip. Try to make the trip some kind of loop rather than taking the same route home that you too to get there. Don't stay on the interstate. Travelling the side roads may add a day to the trip but you will get to see a lot of very interesting attractions. Santa Fe, Taos, Gallup, and Albuquerque have a lot of old west history if you do some research. Flagstaff to Paige to Kanab is a beautiful drive. Gallup to Cortez takes you awfully close to the Lazy Bob Ranch. Durango has an awesome train. Lots of little town have off beat attractions take the time to stop and see them. 

Go to Google maps and click on a town and select what's near by. Type in attractions and hit enter. Did this for La Junta Colorado population 6900. Turns out is has several museums including Bent's Old Fort and Picket Wire Canyonlands Guided Auto Tour. All in a town of less than 6900 and it is only a days drive from your home.

Always obey the speed limits when driving on tribal lands. The reservation police will cut you zero slack. Most small towns have the obligatory speed trap. They get you for failing to slow down to the new posted speed BEFORE you get to the sign or accelerating before the sign when leaving town.

Plan your fuel stops carefully and have a backup plan. This plan should including the possibility that your fuel stop will be closed or out of fuel. Have a backup and never pass up the opportunity to top off when driving in the more remote locations. $5.00 a gallon fuel is a bargain compared to walking.

I've never rented a car before. I didn't know about all the rules with them. Hmm.....it just may be better for me to drive.  Thanks for letting me know all that. I didn't know that some places won't allow interstate travel. Good to know.

2 hours ago, Clueless Bob said:

Unless I missed it, but, when are you planning to travel?  

I have it planned for the last week of May, first week of June. I was able to fudge it a bit and get a little extra time off by doing that.

Archived