SASS Wire Forum

SOUTHERNISMS

I've lived all my life in the south.  Southern Wisconsin.  Except for a couple of years at college in da UP, ya hey?  The problems we deal with are flat landers that invade us (peoples from Illinois, Indiana and Iowa).  The Illinois people think they own the place and drive terribly.

I met a very nice man turkey hunting in Florida. He was from NC but originally from MN.  He was of German/Norwegian extraction so he wasn't half bad.  We were talking about different hunting customs.  Deer hunting.  In Wisconsin, you shoot a deer, you gut it out there in the woods.  My friend was familiar with this custom as being the same in MN but said if you were to hunt on the Baptist minister's property in NC and you left an empty fifth bottle in his deer stand, the minister would give you a lecture on the evils of strong drink.  However, if the minister found a gut pile on his property, that you had left, said minister would condemn you soul to damnation and never talk to you again.  I didn't understand such vehemence as crows, racoons, possums and such have to eat also.  Down south you are supposed to take the entire animal out before eviscerating it.  I found that unique.

I don't know how its done in other places, but I've been on deer hunts here in E.TN and when the

deer is gutted, the liver is put in a plastic bag and later prepared for supper.

Its pounded, then floured up, then put in a cast iron skillet with onions and taters, cooked over

an open fire.    AND... its served directly from the skillet with all the juices and flavors.   Like Manna

from Heaven.

Sitting around a nice campfire and enjoying such food with your hunting Pards is one of life's more

memorable and pleasant experiences.   

I probably just flung a cravin on some of you fellers..... ;)

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Down south you are supposed to take the entire animal out before eviscerating it. 

I've never heard of such a thing. Always cleaned it IN THE FIELD (that is why it is called field-dressed), and left the gut pile.

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Bubba told me he knew is wife was level-headed the first time he saw her. 

She had tabackie runnin' out and down both sides of her mouth.

Thats what I would call a true ambidextrous woman..... :D

..........Widder

When it comes to good clean Southern humor, nobody topped Jerry Clower. 

"HAWWWWW . . . . The NAME, says it all."

My current favorite Southern comedian is a pretty lady named, Jeanne Robertson.  She calls her husband, "Left Brain."  Want one of her good ones?  Look up, "Jeanne Robertson - Bungee Jumping."

17 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Especially if she can spit out both sides of her mouth at once! :o

Thats easy.   She just softly bites her tongue with her front teeth,  spits out where those side teeth are

missing..... :lol:

..........Widder

My current favorite Southern comedian is a pretty lady named, Jeanne Robertson.  She calls her husband, "Left Brain."  Want one of her good ones?  Look up, "Jeanne Robertson - Bungee Jumping."

Yep.  Jeanne Robertson is a peach.  Very funny comedian and motivational speaker too.

15 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

But we do have beautiful cousins in Alabama.:P

The good thing about marrying one of your cousins is . . . . . there's a 50-50 chance she won't have to change her last name on her pistol permit or her Class A CDL.

My grand parents on my mother's side were of German and Austrian decent. One family was first generation American and the other second generation American. Their European ancestors lived about 80 miles apart in their respective countries. My grandfather August Meyer married Anna Meyer and became Anna Meyer Meyer.

If they were cousins they were distant cousins. That and they were Yankees from Wisconsin.

15 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thats easy.   She just softly bites her tongue with her front teeth,  spits out where those side teeth are

missing..... :lol:

..........Widder

Reminds me of , she was so buck tooth, she could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.     Is that southern enough for ya"        GW

My lawyer in Arkansas used to say "I'm so Southern that I am related to myself."  Seems he had the same blood line on both sides of his family. AHHAHAH

When I lived up north, our town became pretty isolated. Seemed like everyone was a cousin of mine.  We had to go to Milwaukee to find a wife - you know, one of them "foreign" women. :-)

STL Suomi

I loved old Jerry C. "Knock him out John"  "won't be long" "oh what a bigan" "I reached behind me and got a stick and I poked the Coon! But it wouden a Coon. It was one of them souped up Wildcats. with big tushes in his mouth and long claws" "Ahhhhh" "What's a matter with John?" knock him out John" 'Ahhhh" "John, what's a matter?" "Knock him out John"  and John said" Shoot that thing" "But John, we can't shoot up there we might hit you" John said " Just shoot up here amongstus; one of us has gotta have some relief"!

Listened to that and more with a lot of great Duckl Hunting Pals in the Mississippi Delta Swamps at Duck Camp years ago.  Cheers,  Hoss C.

A twice holed shoot gun is a shootgun wit 2 holes what shoots once from each hole.  A onced holed shoot gun is a shootgun wit one hole what shoots 3 times from the same hole.  If the game warden is around, if not it shoots 5!

I liked Justin Wilson a little better than Jerry Clower, but I can't hardly find his stuff.  Last time I listened to him it was on an 8 track and the audio quality was terrible.  I wonder if someone could make an album of his jokes from the cooking show. 

On 3/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, Alpo said:

I've never heard of such a thing. Always cleaned it IN THE FIELD (that is why it is called field-dressed), and left the gut pile.

I never heard of that either. If you did that in Texas everyone would think you're some dipstick that doesn't know how to gut a deer.

JHC :huh:

On 3/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I never heard of that either. If you did that in Texas everyone would think you're some dipstick that doesn't know how to gut a deer.

JHC :huh:

I live in texas, we don't leave the guts in the field where the deer was shot because we don't want to attract predators to our hunting spots.  It's a short drive back to a spot where we can hang the deer, so that's what we do and drag the guts out to a burn pile.  The important thing is to gut them before they stiffen up.  When I hunted in louisiana, they'd kill a deer in the morning and drive around with it in the bed of the pickup all day then gut it at night.  I always thought that meat tasted bad.  When I was young, my dad would gut the deer next to the car so it was as far as possible from the hunting area, but it would still be fresh. 

I imagine the baptist preacher in question just didn't like attracting predators and scavengers to his property. 

Archived