SASS Wire Forum

default position

Cutthroat Cody

Looking through the handbook about the default position it states that hands at your sides and not touching your pistol. I take that to mean your hands not touching your guns......

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- If no starting position is given, the shooter shall stand upright with revolvers holstered, hands at the sides, and not touching any firearm.  (SASS default). 

SHB p.14

If TO thought you were violating the starting position, perhaps he could have told you about it, rather than looking hard for a way to give you a P.

Rules do say shooter CAN NOT be started in a faulty position....   And the TO is in charge of that.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Can you touch yourself?

:mellow:

41 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

Tell me u didn't say that !

YEP, he really said it.

I think that's covered in the RO-X handbook.

..........Widder

If your arms are hanging naturally and your wrists just happen to be touching your pistols it would take one hardass TO to call that a penalty. I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to use the intent of the law, not getting a head start by grabbing your pistols, rather than the strict letter of the law.

This could go five pages. :wacko:

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
5 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Is your wrist part of yoyr hand?

Where is the delinating line?

A little weight work on your biceps and your arms will hang away from your body more. B)

This could be a bit of body shaming .:o:FlagAm:

15 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Is your wrist part of yoyr hand?

Where is the delinating line?

A little weight work on your biceps and your arms will hang away from your body more. B)

I think the wrist is what joins the hand to the arm, so that makes sense as the 'delineating line'.   I would have to have gorilla arms to get them to hang far enough out to be off my revolvers.  My holsters are kicked out pretty far. 

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Man you an Hells sure make a pair... No pun intended 

:o

That's a compliment to me..... and an insult to Hell's.

Actually, Hell's Comin is one of my SG hero's.  Give the man 2 shells and he'll play

Shanandoah on that 97.

Give him 4 shells and he'll play Dixie on his 97.

Give him 6 shells and he'll play Dixie in 4 part harmony..... ;)

..........Widder

Marvine's example is one reason many clubs are going away from using the SASS default because of either folks not complying or folks making it almost impossible to accomplish.

As I understand, the idea of default is to stand naturally with your arms and hands naturally at your sides. For many of us, if we stand as required, our wrist may very well touch part of the edge of the pistols.  Some low buscadero rigs may have some part of the hand touch the pistols.  So how do we handle that situation?  Obviously, we are not to be grasping the guns in any way.

So in that case, some want folks to start in manor that is not the SASS default.

And then there are those who want to say how straight you stand up. 

Again, the intent is to stand naturally, not all bent over or tensed as if you were getting into a gun fight (even though you are getting into a gun fight. :D )

Often when I write stages I try to match the scenario to the required stance.  If you are in a surprise situation, the default is a great idea. Or setting in a chair, leaning against a fence, etc.

If you know you are about to fight, then it is fun to have a different stance.

You make a good point Marauder.

I've been on a Posse where the starting position was 'SASS Default' and some would refer to it as

the 'Convention default'.

Anyhow, there was always someone who would declare that the shooter must have their head up and

"Looking downrange", kinda like standing at attention.

I don't know where that came from but it sure was annoying when that happens.

..........Widder

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Standing at SASS default with arms hanging naturally at my sides the top of my grips touches the inside of my forearms not quite halfway between my  wrists and my elbows.  Never been called on it. 

What about those that have their knuckles  touching the ground? :P:FlagAm: 

4a. RE: SASS "DEFAULT" starting posture when no stage instructions on point are given.

In particular, the proposal suggested that shooters would be required to have their hands at their side.
Misty pointed out that the current SASS rules dealing with the matter specify a default posture that includes hands at sides.  

4b. RE: A recent suggestion that a shooter violates the current SASS default posture rule if he or she looks down at his guns or ammo.

Misty indicated that the SASS rules do NOT prohibit doing that. 

EoT TG Meeting - 2018

SO:  Does it become de fault of the shooter, or de fault of de guns if de shooter inadvertently should brush de grips whilst standing with de arms straight in de fault position??  And yea, what if de knuckles drag on de ground ..... is dat de fault of the shooter or de fault of tall ground??  Some guys have de guns twisted out so far it's impossible to stand in de fault without causing a fault with de guns.  Unless someone makes wid de grab while de faulted should der be a fault at all??  Why don we just do away wid de description of de fault and just say "Stand Dare an don Move."  Or something.

that was a chicken$&it P,,, it says hands not touching,,, not any part of the arm...

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'd be happy if we went back to when we didn't have a default position.

If no starting position, stand anyway you want... Not touching gun (s) or ammo.

Done

^ This! This! A thousand times THIS!!! I argued for this when the idea of the default was first floated. Everyone would have the exact same opportunity to stand any way they (safely) want so it would be a level playing field. 

(I’m with Tyrel Cody. Seems odd agreeing with Phantom.:P)

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

^ This! This! A thousand times THIS!!! I argued for this when the idea of the default was first floated. Everyone would have the exact same opportunity to stand any way they (safely) want so it would be a level playing field. 

(I’m with Tyrel Cody. Seems odd agreeing with Phantom.:P)

Yep I’m a big fan of writing stages “At the ready” lots of stages start with gun in hand,  or muzzle touching rail,shelf,whatever.

Archived