SASS Wire Forum

Postings about guns. Adding Pictures.

From time to time, several folks here, myself included, like to talk about the things in our gun collection and occasionally post pictures.  I've been seeing this for years, and doing it quite happily when given a reason.

But more recently, I'm seeing posts from a few saying that doing so is a bad idea.   Personally, I don't get that.  Sure, I've read the reasons why they say not to do it, and while I understand their point, I don't think their concerns are as concerning as they think they are.  

So, question.   Do you like occasionally talking about specific guns you own, the status of your collection, or even post pictures once in a while?   If so, do the objections that have been raised against doing so give you pause and make you less likely to do so in the future?

It's bothering me more and more lately, especially with all the new red flag laws being tossed about. I kind of wish we had a members only area just for that purpose.

It's also been my opinion for a long time that the Saloon and the Classifieds should be members only and yes I mean must have a current SASS number to get to those forums.

All part of the Government's agenda...discourage those with guns from "celebrating" their passion and sport. Do not share "gun culture" with younger generation. Use fear tactics so those with guns will be encouraged, incentivized, or monetized into getting rid of them. End result: a gun-free society where the government can now flex their muscle without resistance. Congratulations, you're now a protectionist culture, and you will be told what to do, what to say, how to think, how to act...and you have no say or means of resistance...back to the early 1700's we go...

I can understand the concerns and in some circumstances, those concerns might be very real.

BUT, the mere fact of someone (anyone) on this forum not owning any firearms is kinda 'crazy thinking'.

I mean, if you are a regular poster on this forum and a SASS member, you don't have to show and tell others

that you own any firearms............. its already obvious.

Any info I share on this forum about guns amongst fellow gun owners is less information than I have to share

with my insurance company that insures my firearms and other valuables..... and I don't even know if

they are gun owners theyowndangself.

EDIT:   I do think its unwise to keep a bunch of guns in your vehicle with SASS and 2nd A  decals

on your windows.

..........Widder

40 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I do think its unwise to keep a bunch of guns in your vehicle with SASS and 2nd A  decals

on your windows.

..........Widder

Agree with you there. As a long time claims adjuster I can tell you that one of the top targets of burglars are firearms. Also most homeowners policies have a $1000 coverage limit on firearms.

Have heard a few stories of people posting pictures of guns for sale ( not SASS)   in for sale columns.  Could be a picture of your gun they are posting. They indicated  it would be good if you were questioning if true or not request a picture of firearm on todays newspaper as proof they actually have the gun.  Plus 10 to Widder for mentioning carrying guns in vehicles with  Pro Gun stickers in windows.   Proud of my gun ownership, but do not want to advertise.    GW

Some sociologists questioned hundreds of convicted thieves about various methods and techniques they employed. Almost unanimously they stated that any vehicle with an nra sticker was a top target as it meant guns in the car/house. I have friends that try to claim that an nra sticker will deter potential thieves since they’ll be afraid of being shot, but the evidence proves otherwise. Hey, nobody ever claimed one has to be smart to be a criminal. 

We have seen many documented searches performed by various law enforcement agencies who have combed through internet and  social media looking for evidence of terrorist planning, search executions for illegal activity and materials, etc, etc.  When you stop to think - if law enforcement  has time and motivation to fish for criminal behavior online, what makes you think criminals are not also fishing for treasure troves?   I keep my hobby item inventories to myself, for the most part.  The few seconds of sharing one's pride and joy may well lead to years of dismay.

Does this mean I am caving to anti-gunners?  IMHO, no, it means I'm being prudent and careful.  The counts of eyeballs looking over all internet sites are huge.   If only 1 in a million of those folks were looking for instant enrichment, it would be concerning.   And that ratio is incredibly naive.

Good luck, and be safe, GJ

9 hours ago, Straight Stock said:

All part of the Government's agenda...discourage those with guns from "celebrating" their passion and sport. Do not share "gun culture" with younger generation. Use fear tactics so those with guns will be encouraged, incentivized, or monetized into getting rid of them. End result: a gun-free society where the government can now flex their muscle without resistance. Congratulations, you're now a protectionist culture, and you will be told what to do, what to say, how to think, how to act...and you have no say or means of resistance...back to the early 1700's we go...

Posting pictures of one's guns is a celebration? Not posting gun photos leads to... What????

Posting pictures on social media is more about exposing oneself to a bunch of strangers... And have some odd need to try and impress folks that you don't know.

What's the harm sharing your collection with real Friends... In... Like... Person. You know, have them over to your place and actually engage in real friendship.

Putting personal stuff on social media is to me... An illness.

Cheers!

Well, ya gotta figure this:

If those criminals are so smart and keen to follow our internet info and find out from our input

about our 'stuff' so they can steal from us, then what keeps them from using the internet to

steal from us in a Cyber kind of way?

..........Widder

28 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, ya gotta figure this:

If those criminals are so smart and keen to follow our internet info and find out from our input

about our 'stuff' so they can steal from us, then what keeps them from using the internet to

steal from us in a Cyber kind of way?

..........Widder

That's...Deep...real...deep, Widder...

:blink:

33 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Posting pictures of one's guns is a celebration? Not posting gun photos leads to... What????

Posting pictures on social media is more about exposing oneself to a bunch of strangers... And have some odd need to try and impress folks that you don't know.

What's the harm sharing your collection with real Friends... In... Like... Person. You know, have them over to your place and actually engage in real friendship.

Putting personal stuff on social media is to me... An illness.

Cheers!

The Phantomster couldn’t be more suscinct and spot on. He nailed the social media thing and as usual he uses few words to diffuse a situation that could go on for numerous pages resulting in the subsequent flogging of some unfortunate expired equine. 

And as he he would say Oy, Stoopido (c).

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's...Deep...real...deep, Widder...

:blink:

:D..... I'm more than just another pretty face.

I hope I didn't burn up too many brain cells thinking about that one..... :lol:

p.s. - did you know that when I was in the Navy, I could type 70 wpm with no typos.

My Captain kept telling me that I wasn't typing fast enough..... :lol:

I told him the teletype only had a speed of 70 wpm..... ;)

..........Widder

5 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

:D..... I'm more than just another pretty face.

I hope I didn't burn up too many brain cells thinking about that one..... :lol:

p.s. - did you know that when I was in the Navy, I could type 70 wpm with no typos.

My Captain kept telling me that I wasn't typing fast enough..... :lol:

I told him the teletype only had a speed of 70 wpm..... ;)

..........Widder

See, there ya go. Telling a bunch of strangers on the internet about your inner-world...

:o

27 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

See, there ya go. Telling a bunch of strangers on the internet about your inner-world...

Temptation got the best of me.   I'll learn one of these days... :)

Of course, with all the Youtube stuff, I'm in a lot of trouble already.

All that being said, I do agree with your thoughts.   I won't even answer questions on the phone like:

"Hello, this is Cindy from ?......how are you today"?

I usually reply..... "Cindy, do you know me.   Then why did you call me"?

I usually hang up after that.

.........Widder

On 3/9/2019 at 10:42 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

From time to time, several folks here, myself included, like to talk about the things in our gun collection and occasionally post pictures.  I've been seeing this for years, and doing it quite happily when given a reason.

But more recently, I'm seeing posts from a few saying that doing so is a bad idea.   Personally, I don't get that.  Sure, I've read the reasons why they say not to do it, and while I understand their point, I don't think their concerns are as concerning as they think they are.  

So, question.   Do you like occasionally talking about specific guns you own, the status of your collection, or even post pictures once in a while?   If so, do the objections that have been raised against doing so give you pause and make you less likely to do so in the future?

Everything...EVERYTHING...EVERYTHING...that is posted on a public site can and could be used against you at anytime.  Employer, new employer, government security clearance, local, State and Federal governemnt.

Wasn't it the Tennessee Governor that they found a picture of a blackfaced student in his year book from 30 years ago.  Guilty by association and calls for the Governor to resign.

Posting pictures also seems to be a indicator of a certain personality as those that do post seem to always post pictures and tell folks about their guns whether it was called for or not:lol:

So yeah, I see it more as a look at me - look at me cry for help.

Well, I like to post pictures because a picture is worth a thousand words. Particularly when trying to explain a point about the design or function of a firearm.

And I will continue to do so, despite what some may see as a flaw in my personality.

3 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Everything...EVERYTHING...EVERYTHING...that is posted on a public site can and could be used against you at anytime.  Employer, new employer, government security clearance, local, State and Federal governemnt.

Wasn't it the Tennessee Governor that they found a picture of a blackfaced student in his year book from 30 years ago.  Guilty by association and calls for the Governor to resign.

I don’t have a skeleton in my closet, the entire graveyard lives there. :D

1 hour ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Well, I like to post pictures because a picture is worth a thousand words. Particularly when trying to explain a point about the design or function of a firearm.

And I will continue to do so, despite what some may see as a flaw in my personality.

Showing pictures for clarity is one thing.

Just posting pictures to show strangers what you have is another.

Just a bunch of lonely souls ... Perhaps...

4 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Wasn't Tennessee!     

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I'm happy to post a picture of our duck--sorry to say, we named him Donald

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h

You do recognise that now you'll be getting a bunch of duck hunters that you do not know knocking on your front door at all hours of the night...

Archived