SASS Wire Forum

New Category Idea

Doc Shapiro

Now don't react until you've read this in full.

I'd love to see a "Boss of the Range" category.  Here's how it goes.

Any shooter that wants to participate is eligible.  This is solely a fund raiser for a charity.

First, stage an auction.  Participants bid on the shooter they want to shoot in their name.  For example, I want Smokestack and have to bid on him.  Smokestack's scores count for both his score and for his "Boss of the Range" (alternatively, the shooter shoots twice - first time for his score, 2nd for the Boss of the Range score - Boss of the Range stage scores are not eligible for overall or other category awards). All money raised in the auction goes to the match selected charity.  Winner gets a nice silver belt buckle and bragging rights, along with a tax deduction.  "Boss of the Range" is not eligible for overall awards.

The shooters have to be willing participants and can not be "volunteered".  Note that the person that wins the auction still has to pay a match fee.  A minimum bid may not be a bad idea either, maybe $200.

Comments on the general concept?

4 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Now don't react until you've read this in full.

I'd love to see a "Boss of the Range" category.  Here's how it goes.

Any shooter that wants to participate is eligible.  This is solely a fund raiser for a charity.

First, stage an auction.  Participants bid on the shooter they want to shoot in their name.  For example, I want Smokestack and have to bid on him.  Smokestack's scores count for both his score and for his "Boss of the Range" (alternatively, the shooter shoots twice - first time for his score, 2nd for the Boss of the Range score - Boss of the Range stage scores are not eligible for overall or other category awards). All money raised in the auction goes to the match selected charity.  Winner gets a nice silver belt buckle and bragging rights, along with a tax deduction.  "Boss of the Range" is not eligible for overall awards.

The shooters have to be willing participants and can not be "volunteered".  Note that the person that wins the auction still has to pay a match fee.  A minimum bid may not be a bad idea either, maybe $200.

Comments on the general concept?

We have been doing something similar for years at our make me smile charity shoot. Except we don't do the buckle they get to dress up the shooters, our  gfs. 

6 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

As usual, Doc, I like your idea. Keep expanding on it. Can I bid on you? 

I suppose, but you'll lose and the charity will win - not such a bad thing.  I'm slow :-p

• 1 month later...

sounds like fun and for a Good Charity too 

Ideas such as this are pretty good especially when charities are the beneficiary.

Something tells me that the "Boss of the Range" participants should carry a handicap of sorts.

For example:  On that particular day, if ALL of the "BORG" (Boss of Range Gamers) participants 

have an average of 100 seconds on their normal Cowboy match stages,   and Smokestacks

time for those same stages is 90 seconds, then he would carry 10 seconds of time into his

BORG scores.

If Widder's time for the normal stages is 110 seconds, then I would carry a -10 seconds into my

BORG scores.

If Smokestacks time for the BORG stages ends up being only 9 seconds faster than mine,

I would win the BORG match.

And Participants wouldn't know what the handicap score would be until after the normal scores

are tallied for the BORG participants.   This would make it very interesting, especially if the BORG

participants are on the same posse..... :)

This would seem to induce others to be involved in the BORG portion of the match and probably

raise more $$$.

If its done on a normal score vs. score in the BORG match, nobody would bid on me against Smokestack.

And because we all want to do well in the normal match,  it would be unthoughtful for ANYONE to

fix their handicap to their BORG match.

PLEASE NOTE:  my apologies to DOC for interjecting the word BORG into his post, but I just wanted to

use it to help explain my thoughts better.   Plus, I thought it sounds good for the purpose being used.

..........Widder

Many years ago, about 40, I was involved in foosball tournaments at the bar I worked at. We would hold a Calcutta for the purpose of 'owning' a team or person. The money would be split 60-30-10 IIRC. But giving it to charity would work the same. It's a good fund raiser idea I think.

Archived