SASS Wire Forum

External hammers hard to pull back

jpy15026

Newbe Here,

I just bought a Spanish SXS (Eiber?) 12 ga Coach Gun, manufactured 12/76 that has the Greener Crossbolt

I can't believe how hard it is to cock the hammers back.Is this normal or is just my arthritis

Thanks in advance jpy15026

small.jpg

Are Rossi,Winchester,Baikal etc with external hammers all about the same level of difficulty to pull the hammers back? It doesn't appear that this gun was shot much,does anyone know if it will ease up in time and be easier to cock the hammers ? If I leave them stored in a cocked position for a few weeks will that ease them up a bit?Thanks Much Pardners ; )

I have no Idea about the workings,just know how to pull the triggers and make it go bang ; )

* Take th shot gun to a gunsmith and talk to him.  Re: duplicate set of springs if you plan to do a kitchen table modification - good luck finding a set

Other options:

* Sell the external cock shotgun and buy an internal cock one

* Two Ibuprofen and a bottle of water before the match to relieve the arthritis pain :P

Here's a recent video from Warden Calloway on replacing leaf springs on a sidelock shotgun.  Get in touch with him he's made quite a hobby of working on old shotguns:

Archived