SASS Wire Forum

IT SHIPPED, IT SHIPPED, IT SHIPPED!

Why would they repair such a thing instead of replacing it? It doesn't seem cost or time effective. Parts shortage, maybe?

It shoots GREAT! My first shot produced a one hole, 150 yard group measuring a mere .308".

:lol:

10 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Why would they repair such a thing instead of replacing it? It doesn't seem cost or time effective. Parts shortage, maybe?

Maybe it was a generational thing when things were fixed rather than just replaced or thrown away.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

WOOWOOOO! Springfield, May 1945, 1+/1+. :)

FedEx was 4 minutes late (not that I was watching the clock... much...), so I told them they owe me a free pizza. :lol:

100_2444.JPG

Did anyone else notice that his Garand looks smaller than normal? Scaled down model...

11 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

It shoots GREAT! My first shot produced a one hole, 150 yard group measuring a mere .308".

:lol:

Repaired stocks were done at depot level. They would be placed in inventory and used to repair damaged rifles coming in from the theaters. As I understand it the big armories were cranking out MIs at breakneck speed and didn’t have a ton of spare stocks. So if it was repairable the depot ordnance folks did it. The Ogden Army Depot in Utah did a lot or repairs. Some of the ones Ikve seen were really done well.

20 minutes ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Did anyone else notice that his Garand looks smaller than normal? Scaled down model...

That's been mentioned before... :lol:

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Repaired stocks were done at depot level. They would be placed in inventory and used to repair damaged rifles coming in from the theaters. As I understand it the big armories were cranking out MIs at breakneck speed and didn’t have a ton of spare stocks. So if it was repairable the depot ordnance folks did it. The Ogden Army Depot in Utah did a lot or repairs. Some of the ones Ikve seen were really done well.

It has the RRAD stamp on the stock. Cameras are very critical - the repair isn't nearly as crude as the pictures make it appear.

24 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

That's been mentioned before... :lol:

I was looking at the hands wrapping easily around the rifle. You look like you could fire it one handed. I sure hope you enjoy your rifle. They are fun. 

A word of caution, J Bar. Those Garands have a way of growing on you. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine, and I am certain you will/do.  What would this world be like if we never had had, John Browning or John Garand? 

I believe it was Ernie Pyle who mentioned the weapons repair depots in Normandy. These guys were not to far behind the lines salvaging what they could to get it back into service ASPAP. 

So what did they finally send to you anyway?

Bugler

14 hours ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

Pick up a copy of the M-1 Does my Talking.

;)

1F001D08-F9E7-4B9B-856A-DFBAB5F0802E.jpeg

Great numbers. Re-barreled? My HRA was rebarreled in 65.

2 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Barrel is also Springfield, but is dated July of '63.

That explains it’s excellent numbers. Congrats.

Congratulations, JBB!  I'm betting that you won't be solo for very long :)

When you are ready to shoot cast bullets, Dusty Boddams has a recipe that you may already know about:  170 gr Sil GC bullet (from Norm Purcella 575-703-0391);  IMR 4895  35.8gr; Winchester or CCI 34 primer. Velocity is about 1850 fps.  Adjust the powder weight up or down slightly to tune to your individual M1.  

• 3 weeks later...

Enough snow has melted that I was finally able to walk out to the hundred yard line and hang up a target. Using the aforementioned load of 46.0 grains IMR-4895, Thunder Mountain 150 grain FMJ BT match bullets, CCI-200, and mixed milsurp brass, the first three were about 15" high and 2 1/2" right... and 3 1/2" + across. I kept going down and left til the elevation bottomed out, but the group was still about 1" high. Groups were disappointing, with the best 3 shot group just under 2" and the worst around :blink:, still with round holes though, but there's a very plausible explanation for the groups. I set up the Chrony at 16' from the muzzle, and it showed quite erratic velocities, with a low of 2436 fps and a high of 2613 fps, for an average of 2502 fps, and a whopping 177 fps spread. IIRC from my reading over the past month, the military spec'd the load at 50 grains IMR4895/147 grain FMJ, with a target velocity of 2747 fps, so I'm 250 fps low. That could easily account for the poor accuracy and the high point of impact. I probably just need a lot more steam behind the bullet.

2 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Enough snow has melted that I was finally able to walk out to the hundred yard line and hang up a target. Using the aforementioned load of 46.0 grains IMR-4895, Thunder Mountain 150 grain FMJ BT match bullets, CCI-200, and mixed milsurp brass, the first three were about 15" high and 2 1/2" right... and 3 1/2" + across. I kept going down and left til the elevation bottomed out, but the group was still about 1" high. Groups were disappointing, with the best 3 shot group just under 2" and the worst around :blink:, still with round holes though, but there's a very plausible explanation for the groups. I set up the Chrony at 16' from the muzzle, and it showed quite erratic velocities, with a low of 2436 fps and a high of 2613 fps, for an average of 2502 fps, and a whopping 177 fps spread. IIRC from my reading over the past month, the military spec'd the load at 50 grains IMR4895/147 grain FMJ, with a target velocity of 2747 fps, so I'm 250 fps low. That could easily account for the poor accuracy and the high point of impact. I probably just need a lot more steam behind the bullet.

That’s the same powder charge and bullet weight I use. Not sure why you’re getting that much variation in mv.  My velocities were pretty consistent at 25 something. Chrono is broke so I can’t recheck now.

Well, I'm somewhat disappointed. I worked up to 48.0 grains IMR4895 today with the same piss-poor groups, and ridiculous spreads. At 48 grains, I'm still getting an average of only 2654 fps, with a spread of 150.3 fps - hi/2758, lo/2608. :(

IMR4064 and/or 168's next. If that doesn't work, Varget. If that doesn't work, sell it and order another one.

51 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Well, I'm somewhat disappointed. I worked up to 48.0 grains IMR4895 today with the same piss-poor groups, and ridiculous spreads. At 48 grains, I'm still getting an average of only 2654 fps, with a spread of 150.3 fps - hi/2758, lo/2608. :(

IMR4064 and/or 168's next. If that doesn't work, Varget. If that doesn't work, sell it and order another one.

sound like you may have got a bad barrel on that one. I expect you will need to order again

The situation did not improve with IMR4064, but I did get the avg velocity up to where it should be.

2738 avg, hi/2774, lo 2684 for a spread of 90 fps. Ridiculous groups of around 6" still.

:(

12 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

The situation did not improve with IMR4064, but I did get the avg velocity up to where it should be.

2738 avg, hi/2774, lo 2684 for a spread of 90 fps. Ridiculous groups of around 6" still.

:(

Slug the bore abd see what the diameter actually is.  I know you are shooting jacketed bullets but the theories still apply.

Measure the bullet diameters. They may not all be the same. I once had a batch of bullets that measured .307 they shot just like what you are talking about. When shooting for groups use all the same manufacture and date of brass. Does the rifle lock up tight in the stock?

The barrel slug measures exactly 0.3080", as do the Thunder Mountain 150 grain match BT bullets and the Nosler 168 grain HPBT match bullets, the crown looks good under magnification, and everything is tight, except the short fore end piece between the sling swivel and stacking swivel has a little play. The wind is blowing like hell today, so I haven't been able to step out the door and try the 168's yet.

I emailed CMP to ask what my options are - I would expect the answer to be something along the lines of "within acceptable parameters for a WWII battle rifle".

Some browsing on the CMP Garand forum this morning seems to indicate the average CMP M1 will be in the neighborhood of 4-5", and military acceptance being "far worse", but with no parameters given, so maybe I'm making too much ado over nothing.

I want to follow this.

I'm in Canada and was looking at a Fulton Armories product, but recent political developments, (talk of banning semis and handguns) made me forget about buying the Garand and instead, donating the money to an opposition party, who doesn't think that way.

OK, this is much more acceptable. NRA recommended M1 load (excuse me, MODEL 1) of 47.0 grains IMR4895/168 grain Nosler HPBT match bullet, CCI200 primers, 100 yards. First group from a clean barrel, 2 7/8" - sight adjustment - second group, 1 13/16" - sight adjustment - third group, 1 15/16". Tough to beat that with battle sights and not practicing regularly. Apparently, it's the Thunder Mountain 150 grain BT match bullets that aren't cooperating. Maybe I'll try some flat base 150's.

No chrono data yet.

20190408_161309.jpg

On 4/7/2019 at 1:54 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

The barrel slug measures exactly 0.3080", as do the Thunder Mountain 150 grain match BT bullets and the Nosler 168 grain HPBT match bullets, the crown looks good under magnification, and everything is tight, except the short fore end piece between the sling swivel and stacking swivel has a little play. The wind is blowing like hell today, so I haven't been able to step out the door and try the 168's yet.

I emailed CMP to ask what my options are - I would expect the answer to be something along the lines of "within acceptable parameters for a WWII battle rifle".

Some browsing on the CMP Garand forum this morning seems to indicate the average CMP M1 will be in the neighborhood of 4-5", and military acceptance being "far worse", but with no parameters given, so maybe I'm making too much ado over nothing.

It’s supposed to.

Archived