SASS Wire Forum

IT SHIPPED, IT SHIPPED, IT SHIPPED!

I need to warm the basement up, and get out the IMR4895. Seems I saw a couple bulk boxes of 150 grain FMJ down there awhile back too. :)

Waiting is the hardest part.

Waiting.jpg

12 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Waiting is the hardest part.

Waiting.jpg

Oh, oh, oh... I need one o' them pointy thingies for it now!

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! I knew they were here somewhere - three 1,000 count boxes and a fourth one half full or more - 150 grain FMJ. But I can only find 6 En Bloc clips... thought I had more...?

100_2432.JPG

Well, at least en blocs are cheap.

12 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

The CMP Garand I ordered February 9th shipped today and should be here Monday! WOOWOOOO! :)

Nice. Enjoy.

Just looked at our monthly newsletter for our range.We are finaly with CMP.The range has been here since the early Sixty's.

Largo

Pretty good turn around time. What did you order?

13 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! I knew they were here somewhere - three 1,000 count boxes and a fourth one half full or more - 150 grain FMJ. But I can only find 6 En Bloc clips... thought I had more...?

100_2432.JPG

You are only gonna shoot one clip at a time, ain't cha?  :lol:

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Don’t worry. You’ll find those clips next Fall. :P

Or, right AFTER he buys more.....

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pretty good turn around time. What did you order?

Service grade, H&R or Springfield, their choice.

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Service grade, H&R or Springfield, their choice.

Yeah, that's what I have. An HRA. Being as how they were the latest ones made they tend to be less worn. Mine is a tack driver. Or it would be in the hands of a younger fella.  ;)

I got my first Garand about a month or so ago. I couldn’t be happier. It’s a 53 Springfield armory and all the metal matches. Not sure about the stock as there are no cartouches but that’s ok

82CD8D8E-B58F-4B75-95E4-97DC0CCF9F5C.jpeg

Christmas is almost here... FedEx Web site says delivery before 10:30 tomorrow morning... thirteen and a half long, long hours...

46.0 grains IMR-4895, Thunder Mountain 150 grain FMJ BT match bullets, CCI-200, milsurp brass.

46.0 - 47.0 IMR-4895 seems to be the most commonly used Garand load with a 150 grain bullet, with the typical range stretching from around 45 on the low end to 50 on the upper end, with some folks going as high as 51 or even 52, and as low as 43, where cycling problems start to occur. I found a reference to "US Army TM 43-0001-27, Small Caliber Ammunition", dated 1994, that specifies M2 ammo as being loaded with 50.0 grains IMR-4895 and an unspecified weight bullet @2740 fps, but the bullet dimensions given (1.12") would indicate something around 150 grains, so likely the 147 grain FMJ - the Thunder Mountain bullet I'm using is 1.124".

100_2438.JPG

Congrats. I got my Garand a few days before Christmas. A service grade SA with a low 5 digit number. It turned out to be made in December 1940. I was excited.

WOOWOOOO! Springfield, May 1945, 1+/1+. :)

FedEx was 4 minutes late (not that I was watching the clock... much...), so I told them they owe me a free pizza. :lol:

100_2441.JPG

100_2444.JPG

What would have caused the two rectangular notches in the fore end wood that have been plugged? I'm going with "fending off an enemy bayonet charge". :D

100_2455.JPG

Just now, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

What would have caused the two rectangular notches in the fore end wood that have been plugged? I'm going with "fending off an enemy bayonet charge". :D

100_2455.JPG

Interesting. Coulda been gouged fron sitting in a mount. Or frag holes. Or bayonet scars. Or dang near anything.

What’s the throat erosion and muzze wear numbers?

18 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I'd guess it's stock repair to keep wood cracking from disabling the stock.

2 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

100_2455.JPG

Armory repair of a crack.

My M1903 has very similar fixes. With the stock off,  Inside I can faintly see the original crack.

Archived