SASS Wire Forum

Heeled teachers

Utah Bob #35998

I didn't read the above item, but as for teachers being armed..... I'm for it.

I wish schools would bring back firearms training classes and maybe a marksmanship team.

..........Widder

If Schoolmarm were still teaching, I would insist that she take the training and carry while on school grounds.  It is legal here and approved in our county.

If a teacher takes on the responsibility of being armed to protect their students they should get a pay increase. An increase in responsibility is at very least commensurate to a pay raise. Good on them.

Mrs. Doc mentioned it earlier today. So, basically you have a sworn law enforcement officer who is a teacher, yet people are still against it, calling it "A disaster waiting to happen." While I like the concept of armed teachers in theory, I have been hesitant to sign onto the concept entirely unless it is voluntary,  and they are screened and trained. This proposal makes perfect sense, and would be an added benefit in multiple facets. Mrs. Doc was in favor of it as well.

Howdy,

Seems to me the removal of those no gun signs would be a good first step.

Keep the bad guys guessing.

Tell students and parents some teachers will be armed.

Let them guess which are and which aren't.

At one time it was popular for gangsters to attack as their competition

walked out of a courthouse. They knew those leaving would be unarmed.

Best

CR

But, But, But, if armed teachers might stop a maniac from shooting up a school and killing people, how could the anti's perform their ritual Grave Dance?

I have heard it put forth that many Veterans would volunteer to do armed security for schools. I would.

Imis  Why not, we're awake, armed and grumpy. What could go wrong?

The article states that they would have to get law enforcement training and become fully sworn officers. The state would pay 4.8 million to train 3000 teachers, $1,600 per teacher. Is that all it costs to train LEO's in North Carolina. I don't think you have to go as far as having them become fully sworn to have sufficient training to have armed teachers. Training yes. I wonder what police earn there compared to teachers. Some might just switch jobs.

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

The article states that they would have to get law enforcement training and become fully sworn officers. The state would pay 4.8 million to train 3000 teachers, $1,600 per teacher. Is that all it costs to train LEO's in North Carolina. I don't think you have to go as far as having them become fully sworn to have sufficient training to have armed teachers. Training yes. I wonder what police earn there compared to teachers. Some might just switch jobs.

There’s no way they will put teachers through a full police academy. The hours vary from state to state but would take months. They’ll give them the use of deadly force classes and firearms training.

Most teachers simply don’t have the mindset to be police officers and wouldn’t want to be. Regardless of the pay.

Law enforcement is like teaching in one regard. It’s a calling, not a job

45 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There’s no way they will put teachers through a full police academy. The hours vary from state to state but would take months. They’ll give them the use of deadly force classes and firearms training.

Most teachers simply don’t have the mindset to be police officers and wouldn’t want to be. Regardless of the pay.

Law enforcement is like teaching in one regard. It’s a calling, not a job

I agree. But they did say they would be fully sworn officers. For most it is a calling, but for some it's a job. Also we are talking about only those teachers who would consider being armed, not all of them.

I shoot with a school principal, a school district carpenter, and a facilities supervisor. They all can qualify for any handgun training. 

They have offered to create a security team for the local school district, they've yet to get a response. It's not the fact that teachers are armed, it's the possibility that someone could be armed in the school that could deter a potential shooter from entering a building. The lowly janitor pushing a broom or mopping the floor packing a Glock, or a special ed teacher with a 1911. Doesn't matter who is packing, just the rumor that there is a security team within the building is a deterrent. There isn't an air marshal on every flight, but there could be. The idea of every veteran or cop being a school security officer is not feasible. One of my co-workers spent 33 years active and guard, he can't even kill a squirrel. I know cops that dislike firearms and dread qualifying annually. 

17 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I agree. But they did say they would be fully sworn officers. For most it is a calling, but for some it's a job. Also we are talking about only those teachers who would consider being armed, not all of them.

Fully sworn officers is a broad brush depending upon the state statute. For instance some reserve officers are fulkly sworn but their authority to make arrests is limited to the tiome they are acting as uniformed officers on patrol. Usualy with a full time officer. As I said, expecting teachers to go through all the training to be "fully sworn" is not feasable. I doubt they would need classes in case preparation, crime scene investigation techniques, domestic violence, Constitutional Law, arson, burglary, robbery, assault, traffic laws and the dozens of other subjects required to be a fuly sworn officer. The requirements to be a sworn officer are spelled out in each individual state's police standards and training procedures.

There was an armed officer on campus when the Parkland shooting began. That knowledge didn't deter the creep who shot up the place. The mistake many folks make is thinking the deranged have a logic component in their brains and are capable of thinking like us. They don't. I don't believe those kind can really be deterred. The best you can do is hope that someone on the scene can take them down.

On a side note, that armed officer chose to hunker down behind cover for the entire rampage instead of perform his duty.  Let's hope the armed teachers are willing to use their weapon. They're not only going to need a lot of training initially, but recurrent training for as long as they're authorized to be armed in a classroom. 

On 3/9/2019 at 6:11 PM, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Sounds reasonable on the surface. I would add a psychological screening similar to law enforcement to the mix.

Agree. Some teachers are good to go. Some, not so much.

Had some dental work done back in grade school and missed a day. Mom even sent a note in.

Next day, Mrs. Teacher handed out bubble gum. Fine. Except when I told her ( politely ) the dentist said I couldn't have it she went into witch mode. WELL THEN YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY! Entire class seemed embarrassed. Told Mom. Teacher was nice to me after that.

Archived