SASS Wire Forum

Gun inventory software? Suggestions?

I am getting to the point now where I really need to keep track of all my weapons. I would like a program that allows me to have a “ledger” page for each firearm pictures, serial numbers, description and so on. Not looking for a freebie, willing to pay $50-$100 so I can keep track and God forbid provide information in case of theft or loss due to natural causes (hurricanes in SE FL). Anyone have any suggestions?  

Whatever method you use...Back to many places other Hard Drive...I myself am going use Excel...Yes it is for numbers but I think it can work for needs...Going to try...Pictures can go into another area or maybe added...still looking to that one...I am also on Apple Confuser....I might be limited in what is out there on the market...

Texas Lizard

I guess but I thought there was something out there like the software you can get for business cards.  Looking for something FFLS use to maintain their inventory. Let’s see if someone else has some suggestions. 

3 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

I guess but I thought there was something out there like the software you can get for business cards.  Looking for something FFLS use to maintain their inventory. Let’s see if someone else has some suggestions. 

Not for 50-100 bucks.

ATF has Bound Book requirements and might have the forms available, but not for a non-licensee. 

I use the online program from Blue Book of Gun Values.  It saves to the BB cloud; you can also save it as a pdf or print it out.  You get access to it by subscribing to one of the BB products, which gives you access to a great research tool.  It does everything you say you want, plus it automatically updates the current value of each piece.

I expect I'll get pushback from those who don't like putting information online.  It's my choice; to my mind, the convenience, flexibility and utility far, far outweigh any risk.  Make up your own mind.

1 minute ago, Badlands Beady said:

I use the online program from Blue Book of Gun Values.  It saves to the BB cloud; you can also save it as a pdf or print it out.  You get access to it by subscribing to one of the BB products, which gives you access to a great research tool.  It does everything you say you want, plus it automatically updates the current value of each piece.

I expect I'll get pushback from those who don't like putting information online.  It's my choice; to my mind, the convenience, flexibility and utility far, far outweigh any risk.  Make up your own mind.

The Cloud is not "Online"

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The Cloud is not "Online"

Phantom

Even better.

I like pen, paper and photos, saved to my own thumb drive. The cloud has been shown to not be entirely safe.

10 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I like pen, paper and photos, saved to my own thumb drive. The cloud has been shown to not be entirely safe.

Right - clouds sometimes bring rain & this one is no different ............ :o

I've been using an Excel spreadsheet for that since '98.  One page per firearm, and being a bit OCD, that page also keeps track of what kind of ammo fired and when for that gun.  Another page is all my reloaded ammo recipes and quantities.  Another is listing of CAS matches.   Etc.  Backed up a couple places.  Password protected.  A couple of brothers know the passwords if something happens to me.

A fellow I worked with produced this gun inventory management system several years ago, and it does a good job.  

"Gun Collector Software"

You can buy it from Brownell's, about $51

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/books-amp-videos/software/firearms-values/gun-collector-software-prod32292.aspx

Runs on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.  Keeps all data locally (not in the cloud / on the Internet).   Not available on phones, though.

Good luck, GJ

I use Excel for almost every thing.

The spread sheet has the ability to link photos to items in cells.

You take a photo give it a name  and then link to the name in a cell.

I use it for my check book spread sheet.

I scan the invoices I have paid and name them using the year and check number. (19-1987.jpg)

Click on the check description item brings up the photo of the receipt.

Now the good news.

WPS has an Excel compatible software for free if you download the 2016 version.

Newer versions are available but there is a cost. 

Link to download WPS

When installing it will ask questions. Do not update program.

After installing look for the view feature and choose Classic to get the Excel look and tools.

I do not use a a different spread sheet for each gun.

I use one spread sheet and make a tab for each gun.

All guns and other gun items are all in one workbook spread sheet.

use Open Office (a free office suite, with a spreadsheet piece)

^ That is capable enough for me, for inventories, mold inventory, loading data, etc.

Microsoft Access, a database you have to build. I looked at ready made databases, various APPS and inventory programs, none gave me enough control to download and readily access all the info I wanted...buy/shoot/clean dates, values, improvements, needs, problems, pics, description, etc. Access is like a spreadsheet with simple program that includes drop down menus to quickly add new items and data, and then quick query files to see instantly specific data. I started out just listing in a Microsoft Word Document. Outgrew that when I wanted specific history/data and realized I wasn't detailed enough. I shoot CAS, USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge...I just cannot remember everything about each gun and match. Microsoft Access will require a bit of a learning curve...some trial and error.

I'd recommend building a word/text document first, add details/info as you go, and see if that wouldn't work for a good while.

Microsoft Office (Word, Access, etc.) can be had for around $60/year thru Amazon, cheaper if you have a relative in school and get the 'school rate' or thru your office at the 'business rate', or try LibreOffice a free office suite (but research it). Microsoft Word documents transitions over nicely into LibreOffice.

Most importantly....backup, backup, and backup again. Maybe on a thumb drive, a disc, a memory card, not 'The Cloud', thumb drive in a safety deposit box, maybe a copy in fire safe lock box too. Then remember to occasionally replace with new backups. This helps with theft, fire, PC croaking, power surge, etc.

Pen and paper is best, no digital record, but how to backup and keep copies?

RRR

I have used a couple of apps to record my firearms. First one I paid for but it was a joke as far as support. No back up and the worst part was you can't turn your phone or tablet sideways. I put it all on a tablet and then cracked the very top of the screen were the navigation buttons were. If i could have turned the screen  I could have accessed the buttons on the top, hence no back up.  The one I use now I really like, easy to use, can enter lots of info and multiple pics of each firearm, convert to a pdf file, sell a gun. Very useful and its free. Guns Safe is the good one but stay away from Gun Vault Pro.

15 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

^ That is capable enough for me, for inventories, mold inventory, loading data, etc.

Only limitation I have have ever found with Open office Calc (Spreadsheet) is that it does not support Visual Basic scripts.

Biggest advantage is that I can open multiple spreadsheets that are in excess of 5 MB in size (about 30 Colums wide and 40,000 plus rows) and it doesn't bog the system down. Excel has a real problem doing this.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Only limitation I have have ever found with Open office Calc (Spreadsheet) is that it does not support Visual Basic scripts.

Biggest advantage is that I can open multiple spreadsheets that are in excess of 5 MB in size (about 30 Colums wide and 40,000 plus rows) and it doesn't bog the system down. Excel has a real problem doing this.

To me the biggest advantage is that it doesn't support VB scripts... 

I use an iOS app called Gun Log SPC. Completely offline. You can even track your ammo usage, but I just use it for firearms.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Instead of paying microsoft for excell use Libre/Open Office. Will do everything you want at zero cost.

I had Office for many years but then when the year-long trial period expired for the Office that came with a new laptop, I started using Libre/Open Office and have for a long time.  But then my last laptop came with full Office, so I'm back to using Excel.

The phrase "Visual Basic" gives me nightmares. It was such an intense and involved course, that the four of us "old timers" decided to take it as a sole summer course back in... 2002, I think it was, instead of during the normal school year with an already full class schedule. After graduation, we brought our textbooks, along with the accounting class books, out here and unloaded on them with everything from .22 to 10g to .50 BMG. We even blindfolded them! :lol:

Microsoft Access is made to order for such things, but it's a LOT easier to use the basic features of Excel as a database, rather than a spreadsheet, if you don't already have a good working knowledge of Access.

Put backup copies on off-site thumb drives or your phone, upload to the cloud, email yourself a copy and leave it stored on the email server, etc. Whatever works for ya.

accounting.JPG

For those using MS Office, there's a clone by Mobisoft called Office Suite Pro, that costs 1/3 what Office costs.  It's so close a clone that I have no idea why the haven't been sued for copyright infringement.  It is completely compatible with Office.

I use RSI for my reloading and ballistics and it has a firearms log section that I could use but for my use I prefer to use Excel so I can tailor the columns to my needs. I indicate which son gets which gun and give a brief note if there is some family history. I also make a hardcopy of each gun with a picture and a more detailed information section which is stored in the safe.

I received a CD from LEE Precision in 2005 when I bought my 1st press - I also had a program called shooter which has firearms and reloading logging.  Works very well and you can print reports.  I keep copies on an SD and several USB drives.  There is an APP for your phone called Gun Tracker (on phone storage) that I have used that works as well and can add pictures with this.

Charlie

Someone mentioned Open Office 

I use Google Docs. Some people may not like the cloud, I don't want to get into that argument. But with Google Docs, it's automatically backed up, and I can access the information from my computer, phone, etc.  

20 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

A fellow I worked with produced this gun inventory management system several years ago, and it does a good job.  

"Gun Collector Software"

You can buy it from Brownell's, about $51

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/books-amp-videos/software/firearms-values/gun-collector-software-prod32292.aspx

Runs on Windows, Mac OS and Linux.  Keeps all data locally (not in the cloud / on the Internet).   Not available on phones, though.

Good luck, GJ

That’s what I am looking for!  Nothing against Excel but I have been using that for work for 25 years and would rather have a program that has a place for pictures all the information fields and can be saved and printed. Nothing against Excel, if I wanted to program I would use Access and create a “library” like I did for Rexall Sundown. Thanks Garrison Joe you are a “Cowboy and a scholar”!

Archived