SASS Wire Forum

Open carry...

Sixgun Sheridan

yep.  Sunday at lunch at a restaurant a guy wearing an AR 15 on his shirt and a vietnam veteran hat had a government model 1911 on his hip in open carry.  It caught my eye more than the veteran hat he was wearing.  Being he was older and the way the pistol rode on his belt it seemed too easy to grab to me.  It also drew attention.  While I know folks need to get used to guns and not be afraid, I was carrying mine hidden in my pocket.  I didn't see the need to make a show.  I also did not want to be a target of unwanted attention.

I prefer to carry concealed. Gives me a lot more options in that I get to choose what course of action is the best for me.

In a given situation the best course of action may be to leave your firearm holstered. In addition to the obvious, you lose almost all your advantage if some other individual starts pointing at you and yelling for you to shoot the bad guy.

and awaaay we go. :)

I mostly carry open. I seldom wear more than a Tshirt and jeans. Going unarmed is NOT an option, so I keep close tabs on my surroundings, travel with folks who are of a like mind, and I usually quarter whatever room I walk into to identify and assess possible threats.

To each his/her own.  I’m also often thanked or complemented for carrying openly and have, on two occasions, had someone actually remove a coat or jacket and reveal that they too were carrying and then proceed to walk away, carrying open.

16 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Just Carry,!  One way or the other, it is better than not being armed

No disagreement here. But in the case of the victim in this video he'd have been a lot better off if he at least made sure to use a retention holster and try to be a little more aware of what was going on around him. Not trying to blame the victim, but we all know predators exist out there and it's best not to look like food.

Alternate option: conceal carry, but also open carry a realistic squirt gun. The look on their face will be priceless. ;) :P

That video is priceless evidence that one should be aware of their surroundings at all times. It might not always be easy, but it is mandatory.

Complacency leads to trouble.

I always carry, 99% of the time it is 1911 in a outside the waistband speed scabbard covered by a tee shirt that is loose fitting. For the most part you cannot tell that im carrying. I always attempt to be aware of my surroundings.

Keep your powder dry,

The Bearded Wonder 

Generally not a great idea to chase after the criminal who now has your gun. This guy is lucky, but stupid.

Both have their merits - concealed mostly more so. Either way if a person wants to exercise their right so be it. However and wherever one does so they should be considerate of the people and surroundings. Respect goes a long way in our fight to defend our rights.

GG

I prefer concealed. I open carried once in public. I didn’t like it. In the woods and in the desert open carry is fine for me, but in town. No.

Guess I won’t have that dilemma now. 

The trouble with open carry is all the LEO's don't always know the carry laws. It's legal in Ohio but if someone calls the cops you're gonna get hassled for disturbing the peace or causing havoc on the public or some other crazy reason! Not worth it!

16 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I mostly carry open. I seldom wear more than a Tshirt and jeans. Going unarmed is NOT an option, so I keep close tabs on my surroundings, travel with folks who are of a like mind, and I usually quarter whatever room I walk into to identify and assess possible threats.

To each his/her own.  I’m also often thanked or complemented for carrying openly and have, on two occasions, had someone actually remove a coat or jacket and reveal that they too were carrying and then proceed to walk away, carrying open.

In summer, when there are normally fewer opportunities to conceal, I often use a linen body harness from an outfit called Deep Conceal.  The harness fits next to the skin; the "holster" is a linen envelope that can velcro to various places to the harness, and extra clips can ride in their own velcro envelope.  The holsters have a velcro quick-release tab to retain the weapon.  

Another option is a belt pouch, and there are several options.  I prefer the harness to any of the belt pouches I've tried.  Access isn't as fast, but it's there, it's concealed and it's comfortable.

39 minutes ago, Badlands Beady said:

In summer, when there are normally fewer opportunities to conceal, I often use a linen body harness from an outfit called Deep Conceal.  The harness fits next to the skin; the "holster" is a linen envelope that can velcro to various places to the harness, and extra clips can ride in their own velcro envelope.  The holsters have a velcro quick-release tab to retain the weapon.  

Another option is a belt pouch, and there are several options.  I prefer the harness to any of the belt pouches I've tried.  Access isn't as fast, but it's there, it's concealed and it's comfortable.

Those who know me, know that when I say T-shirt I mean one that has no sag or bagginess about it.  I don't like loose clothing, especially on my arms and torso and even in the dead of winter I'm subject to wearing nothing but a T-shirt and jeans. Having worked around heavy, moving machinery all my life, I avoid loose clothing like the plague, (another story entirely)!  If it's pouring rain or if I know that I will be out a long time in freezing cold, I will bring and maybe wear a jacket.  I mostly carry a double stack 1911.  I've tried to wear those harnesses and concealed carry shirts.  None of them are comfortable and most end up sagging to the side that my weapon is on.

Thanks for the input, but I'm happy, comfortable, and reasonably well adapted and aware of my surroundings.  This works for me and I still work on improving my tactics and techniques, so when something comes around the fits my life style, I'll be sure to at least give it a try.

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The only thing open carry says is Hey look at me 

If I'm in the "Hey!! Look at me!" mode, I'm performing and that has NOTHING to do with my sidearm!!!  You are, of course, welcome to your opinion, but you shouldn't project your propensities onto others.  

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The trouble with open carry is all the LEO's don't always know the carry laws.

It always amazes me that LEOs, your state DOJ officials, your DA, and all other officials are not expected to know all the nuances of firearm law, but the ordinary gun owner is.  But then, when faced with officials, even if you have a copy of the laws in your hand and can point out article, section, paragraph, and clause, you're wrong and the law doesn't say what is clearly written.

I tried carrying one of these, but I walked in circles and the holster got caught on everything. A small fortune to feed too.

FatCop.jpg

Works in some places, but quite frankly, "Open Carry" in these parts would be terrifying.

With gangs, demographics that include a high number of "people from someplace else" who don't know (or abide) laws, it could get real interesting real quick.  

That said, I've been known to have a sidearm strapped on when gardening or working outdoors - on my own property.  A number of reasons, including a neighbor who told me "If our Pit Bull ever gets out and comes into your yard SHOOT THAT SUMBIDGE!"  

As some of you know I have been a CPL instructor for many years .

I dont condone open carry myself but I also dont criticize them who do it .

I think it takes away the element of surprise that a concealed carry does have .

I also think if I was a bad guy doing something bad .

The guy with the open carry gun is the first person I would take out of the picture .

Just sayin .

Rooster    

I have seen open carry diffuse a situation twice. Each time the aggressive party did not initially notice the revolver being carried by the armed individual. When the armed individual turned and the aggressive party then saw the open carried revolver the offending party's attitude immediately changed. Neither time did the armed individual make any aggressive movements or hand gestures toward the firearm, nor did he even raise his voice or engage in the argument the perp was seeking. The mere presence of the revolver on the armed individual's hip was more than enough to take the arrogance out of the mouth of each idiot, and the threatening demeanor stopped immediately. Problem over before anything escalated. 

Just my observation.

I personally don't believe in open carry in public, but that's just my opinion. I don't want anyone to know I'm armed. I generally carry either a full sized 1911 or Ruger SR45, both of which can be adequately hidden under a baggy shirt if the tail is long enough. That having been said, I support your right to carry any way that you are inclined to carry. As Mister Flint said above, " Just Carry,!  One way or the other, it is better than not being armed".

Archived