SASS Wire Forum

What odd categories do your clubs recognize?

Tennessee williams

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/11/2019 at 8:26 AM, Jasper Agate said:

We have our Tom Horn category for our annual match, Roop County Days put on by the Battle Born Rangers. you can find the rules on our application on our website: http://www.northernnevadacas.com/BBR-RCD-2019-App.pdf

We also encourage our stage writers to write monthly stages with Big Bore optional.  That's when you can break out your favorite big boomer. If I'm not shooting one of my 50's I'll shoot my '95 in 405!!

These matches take no longer to run than a regular SASS match because you won't be using your pistol caliber rifle. 

Jasper

20160927_165224.jpeg

Except the 1895 isn't allowed for the annual :(

Some of these categories, and the different guns proposed to be used in them, are indeed guns of the era that our game is based upon.   The normal way we do things means that many of these guns do not have a place in our game.  A side match that allows for some of them to be used is very much keeping in the framework of our game.   A "special category" that, for example, subs out a Winchester 86 for the normally used 73 is a variant on the main theme of CAS.   It may not be SASS, but it's still CAS.  If a local club sees that there is a desire on some of the regular shooters to have such a substitution, them more power to them.  Even if you stay pre-1900, there are a LOT of oddball guns that we don't use in our game that could be, either in different side matches, or "variations on the theme" categories that the locals want and enjoy.   And it would still be "Cowboy."  Or at least "Western" in its make up.    I'd draw the hard line at 1900.  Stuff 1899 or earlier is good for CAS.   Stuff 1900 to 1918 is what used to be called Wild Bunch, and should stay in that area.  Stuff that is Cowboy era thru 1949, well, that's Zoot, and should stay in Zoot.  Believe it or not, I have done Zoot Shoots where shooting right along participants with a Tommy Guns, 1911 and Browing Auto 5's there were folks shooting regular CAS guns on the same course.   They may have had to use 4 or 5 revolvers, and either a modified string for the rifle or have a second one staged and ready to go, but they were able to complete the course the same as everyone else.  And everyone had fun.  :)

7 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Except the 1895 isn't allowed for the annual :(

No, but my '86 in 50-100-450 is!!!

On 3/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, lone_ranger674 said:

What is hillbilly?

Since I didn't see an answer, I'm going to guess you must use full power loads, have a beard, and wear overalls. 

Also, you might shoot the entire course with your shotgun, but that's less likely. 

On 3/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, lone_ranger674 said:

What is working cowboy/cowgirl?

What is hillbilly?

I've never shot it or seen it. Only heard of it from up in Kentucky. Someone please correct me but from what I understand is yes, overalls. Double action revolvers, single shot shotgun, think rifle is regular sass but not sure. Anybody know fer sure?

4 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I've never shot it or seen it. Only heard of it from up in Kentucky. Someone please correct me but from what I understand is yes, overalls. Double action revolvers, single shot shotgun, think rifle is regular sass but not sure. Anybody know fer sure?

Yep, pretty sure this is correct. There was a fella that used to shoot that way at Rockcastle. I think he used either a 92 or a 94. His alias may have been Hillbilly.

Grand Army of the Frontier, allows ANY rifle and handgun 1865-1900, with an emphasis on military issue rifles of the era. (Civilian spec rifles may still be used)  Lever action, bolt action, straight pull, single shot, rifle and pistol calibers.  Handgun must be reasonable to the rifle and/or the portrayal.  1 rifle, 1 handgun, no shotgun.  When shooting with a CAS club, shotgun targets are simply ignored, with the weapons reloaded as needed to engage.  If time is a factor, the single shots may shoot half the shots of the repeaters.  Weapon types compete only against each other.  Local GAF may have an annual match of its own if allowed.  There is a GAF only National in Nebraska.  More info at the Barracks in CASCity.

Like 1895s?  

That is a .30 US (.30-40)  That was a 28" sporting rifle a local guy sold me.  The 10000 muskets ordered by the War Dept in 1898 were also 28",(Winchesters standard catalog musket at the time) so I found a repro musket forearm and some Krag hardware (all on ebay) and put me together a musket.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, Ramblin Gambler said:

Since I didn't see an answer, I'm going to guess you must use full power loads, have a beard, and wear overalls. 

Also, you might shoot the entire course with your shotgun, but that's less likely. 

And barefoot--don't forget barefoot!

22 hours ago, Red Eye Jim said:

I suspect that the Table Rock Rangers likely have a Nerf category on the odd weekend...

:D

Our landowner apparently has one too at TRR.  We showed up one time and the ground was littered with nerf darts.  I'm just upset I didn't get invited. 

Elder Statesman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter Outlaw Josey Wales!  And Yes there are TWO of us and The World Champion Trophy will be awarded at Rock Castle in April.  Hey Phantom if you were older and faster you could play with us and be at least 3rd.

1 hour ago, Sawyer said:

Elder Statesman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter Outlaw Josey Wales!  And Yes there are TWO of us and The World Champion Trophy will be awarded at Rock Castle in April.  Hey Phantom if you were older and faster you could play with us and be at least 3rd.

Yeah...I know I'm a used to be has-been...

Archived