SASS Wire Forum

What odd categories do your clubs recognize?

Tennessee williams

17 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I wish there was a category where I could shoot these...Alternate.thumb.jpg.d1c26baa5351e2509c515164d87f56e6.jpg

Three out of four are genuine antiques.   :)

But, no such category exists, so I don't use 'em.

They would be welcomed at our Monthly Cody Dixon Match. We have a special category to allow people to shoot firearms just like these.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if I could figure out some use for a Win 95 I would get one.  I think they should be allowed in BAMM matches! 

13 minutes ago, Hoss said:

if I could figure out some use for a Win 95 I would get one.  I think they should be allowed in BAMM matches! 

Well, at least the military version of it should be.  It was issued to US Troops afterall.

I think they should be allowed in long range side matches.   But they aren't.   :(

Oh, this 95 was the first Winchester that I ever purchased with my own money.   The choice was between it and a Colt Lightning in, I forget, either 38-40 or .38-56.   At the time, I had no idea what a Lightning was, but this was an honest to goodness Winchester that I could start my collection with!   I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had bought the Colt.

8 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Well, at least the military version of it should be.  It was issued to US Troops afterall.

I think they should be allowed in long range side matches.   But they aren't.   :(

Oh, this 95 was the first Winchester that I ever purchased with my own money.   The choice was between it and a Colt Lightning in, I forget, either 38-40 or .38-56.   At the time, I had no idea what a Lightning was, but this was an honest to goodness Winchester that I could start my collection with!   I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had bought the Colt.

I was thinking 30-40 krag.  

Of course it was a former Commander in Chief's favorite rifle in  405.....Big Medicine! 

We have our Tom Horn category for our annual match, Roop County Days put on by the Battle Born Rangers. you can find the rules on our application on our website: http://www.northernnevadacas.com/BBR-RCD-2019-App.pdf

We also encourage our stage writers to write monthly stages with Big Bore optional.  That's when you can break out your favorite big boomer. If I'm not shooting one of my 50's I'll shoot my '95 in 405!!

These matches take no longer to run than a regular SASS match because you won't be using your pistol caliber rifle. 

Jasper

20160927_165224.jpeg

On 3/8/2019 at 5:36 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Not familiar with the last 3.

http://www.thss.org/rules/sharpshooter-rules/

http://www.thss.org/rules/cody-dixon-rules/

Indian Fighter is basically Cody-Dixon but also use regular rifle for a total of five guns.

1 hour ago, Houston CAS said:

http://www.thss.org/rules/sharpshooter-rules/

http://www.thss.org/rules/cody-dixon-rules/

Indian Fighter is basically Cody-Dixon but also use regular rifle for a total of five guns.

Heh.   I looked up the Cody Dixon rules...

Rifles must be of a design, and a model, readily available prior to 1899. Lever Action Rifles must be tube fed and have an exposed hammer. Marlin 336’s and 1895’s will be allowed. Single Shot Rifles must have an exposed hammer. Spring-loaded ejectors are not allowed, except for Trapdoors. No Savage 99’s, Ruger #1’s, H&R’s, or “Little Sharps” rifles are allowed.

Although not mentioned, this would seem to not allow the Winchester 95.   What have people got against it?   It's the Rodney Dangerfield of the Winchester lineup.  :D

20 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Heh.   I looked up the Cody Dixon rules...

Rifles must be of a design, and a model, readily available prior to 1899. Lever Action Rifles must be tube fed and have an exposed hammer. Marlin 336’s and 1895’s will be allowed. Single Shot Rifles must have an exposed hammer. Spring-loaded ejectors are not allowed, except for Trapdoors. No Savage 99’s, Ruger #1’s, H&R’s, or “Little Sharps” rifles are allowed.

Although not mentioned, this would seem to not allow the Winchester 95.   What have people got against it?   It's the Rodney Dangerfield of the Winchester lineup.  :D

Cody Dixon is my favorite category.  Would be at a little disadvantage with a 95Win due to capacity (most CD stages are 6 rounds) but could load the extra 2 on the clock.

I'll be in Houston in 2 weeks, I know i'll be going by Collectors Firearms.  Starting to get sweaty palms already!

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester-model-1895/

if you are ever in Houston, Collectors Firearms is a great store.  More old guns under one roof than anywhere other than the Cody museum! They can be a little pricey, but hey, can't take it with you. 

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Like to see how many of the folks that want all these other categories also b@tch about the size of the rule book.

:mellow:

in Cody Dixon, other than caliber allowed, the rest of the SASS rules apply. doesn't really add any rules. 

I enjoy shooting Cody Dixon, its my favorite category.  it appears to be growing in popularity. The Texas state match has 10 in lever and 11 in Single shot. Both of those have more entrants that B Western, duelist, frontier cartridge and several others, so its not just "category shopping"! 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

in Cody Dixon, other than caliber allowed, the rest of the SASS rules apply. doesn't really add any rules. 

I enjoy shooting Cody Dixon, its my favorite category.  it appears to be growing in popularity. The Texas state match has 10 in lever and 11 in Single shot. Both of those have more entrants that B Western, duelist, frontier cartridge and several others, so its not just "category shopping"! 

Right.

No defining of acceptable rifles... Caliber... Modifications... Nothing??

Then there's stage writing. Difference in sequences and gun staging. Wonder why folks cheer when they learn they don't have any Cody shooters on the posse.

And Cody Dixon started here so I would think it would have following. To bad it takes away from the SASS approved categories. 

Phantom

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Right.

No defining of acceptable rifles... Caliber... Modifications... Nothing??

Then there's stage writing. Difference in sequences and gun staging. Wonder why folks cheer when they learn they don't have any Cody shooters on the posse.

And Cody Dixon started here so I would think it would have following. To bad it takes away from the SASS approved categories. 

Phantom

YUP,  too bad. 

On 3/8/2019 at 11:23 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

HERESY!!!

Outlaw

Josey Wales

Shootist

Only thing odd about Outlaw is Waimea!! :D

2 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Jack said:

Only thing odd about Outlaw is Waimea!! :D

Waimea is NOT odd; he's a fine upstanding young(ish) cowboy, that gives the Outlaw shooters a positive role model.

@Waimea, I am getting a good discount on bullets; right?

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Waimea is NOT odd; he's a fine upstanding young(ish) cowboy, that gives the Outlaw shooters a positive role model.

@Waimea, I am getting a good discount on bullets; right?

an he makes good bullets!!!!!

we came up with Sharpshooter which is C-D with pistol-caliber rifles which shoot targets out around 60 yards

they also shoot their pistols at the SASS cowboy rifle targets.  

We went to this because of concerns about how far rifle caliber bullets would travel down range.

Also have Rifleman for one of our pards that has hand shakes.  Does great with two rifles--two pistols . . . not so much.   shoots one at the pistol targets, other at rifle targets.

We have WB, SASS Cowboys and Sharpshooters all in our posses--just let everyone blast away and have fun (of course in a safe and somewhat sane manner)

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

My 95 is a 30-40, and it started my fondness for the caliber.   But yeah, a 95 in .405 would wicked awesome.

Both 30-40 and 405 are excellent cartridges.  I have a 95 in both, a 85 in 405, a roller in 30-40, then 3 Krag Civilizers...

All the 30-40's love 210g LRNGC rounds. 

Hornady is producing new 405 ammo, hopefully brass is on the way too.

There were almost 100 shooters at our last monthly, maybe only 10-12 of those shooters were shooting Cody-Dixon or Sharpshooter.  I doubt those few shooters really slowed down the match in any significant way.  I personally don't mind having CD or SHS on my posse.  As a spotter though I sure do appreciate it when they let me know they will be shooting the longer range targets.  

4 minutes ago, July Smith said:

There were almost 100 shooters at our last monthly, maybe only 10-12 of those shooters were shooting Cody-Dixon or Sharpshooter.  I doubt those few shooters really slowed down the match in any significant way.  I personally don't mind having CD or SHS on my posse.  As a spotter though I sure do appreciate it when they let me know they will be shooting the longer range targets.  

I usually remind spotters that I’m shooting CD. When they ask what my rifle order is I always tell them “however I shoot it!”  :P

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Cody Dixon is my favorite category.  Would be at a little disadvantage with a 95Win due to capacity (most CD stages are 6 rounds) but could load the extra 2 on the clock.

I'll be in Houston in 2 weeks, I know i'll be going by Collectors Firearms.  Starting to get sweaty palms already!

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester-model-1895/

if you are ever in Houston, Collectors Firearms is a great store.  More old guns under one roof than anywhere other than the Cody museum! They can be a little pricey, but hey, can't take it with you. 

My 95 is a .30-40 and it holds 5 in the magazine.  You could even stuff one into the chamber when it's fully loaded.  But, yeah, I know someone who has one in .30-'06, and that one only holds 4.

Oh, I know Collectors well.   I've bought a few things there over the years on my C&R.  But I do hope to visit the place for real someday.    Maybe this summer if I take road trip out to Nevada.

1 hour ago, Olin W. Moderator said:

Really guys... stay on topic. Leave personal conflicts out of the forum.

Sorry. I let my oneryness get in the way of my better judgement! 

5 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

My 95 is a .30-40 and it holds 5 in the magazine.  You could even stuff one into the chamber when it's fully loaded.  But, yeah, I know someone who has one in .30-'06, and that one only holds 4.

Oh, I know Collectors well.   I've bought a few things there over the years on my C&R.  But I do hope to visit the place for real someday.    Maybe this summer if I take road trip out to Nevada.

It’s a great store for sure!!!! They have a little something for everyone. 

We'll shoot"Busted Up Cowboy" if we have a legitimate candidate.

Grand Army of the Frontier.  Bolt Action rifles with lead bullets and one double action revolver. All period correct of course. Targets for GAF are set further back than CAS rifle targets.   

14 hours ago, Fingers McGee said:

Grand Army of the Frontier.  Bolt Action rifles with lead bullets and one double action revolver. All period correct of course. Targets for GAF are set further back than CAS rifle targets.   

Sounds like fun and an excuse to bring out the Model 1898 Springfield, aka the US Krag rifle, and my Colt 1894 revolver.   I even have the original holster for it.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Sharpshooter

Working Cowboy/Cowgirl 

Grand Army of the Frontier

What is working cowboy/cowgirl?

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:06 AM, Tennessee williams said:

So aside from the categories you can sign up for at EOT, what are some of the categories recognized by your clubs? Some that I have heard of:

Double duelist

Hillbilly

Josey Wales

Steampunk

Outlaw

What is hillbilly?

1 hour ago, lone_ranger674 said:

What is working cowboy/cowgirl?

It is offered at Plum Creek,   Same as age-based categories, except shoots only one pistol and one rifle.   Second pistol and shotgun sequence are not shot.

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Sounds like fun and an excuse to bring out the Model 1898 Springfield, aka the US Krag rifle, and my Colt 1894 revolver.   I even have the original holster for it.

We've got 3 or 4 members that shoot GAF category.  They seems to drag all sorts of obscure bolt actions out.  Berthiers, Kropacheks, Manlichers, Carcanos and period revolvers.  They even dress the part.  When was the last time you saw an Italian sailor in combat garb, or a French Legionnaire?

Archived