SASS Wire Forum

What odd categories do your clubs recognize?

Tennessee williams

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Riverboat Red, SASS #71733 said:

"Dime Novelist" Does not shoot, doesn't even come to the range. Stays home and writes wildly fictional account of CAS

^^^^..I often see this category is well represented on the wire....:lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I agree and I didn’t mean it that way. It just seems like there are not many reasons left to add anymore. 

I know you didn't...I don't assume the worst in folks that I know...ya know?

The last match of the year is our "Open Range" shoot. We have a Cat called "Free Grazer." If you shot one duelist, one double duelist, one gun fighter, one outlaw, one two handed, and one Josey Wales ( optional), you are a Free Grazer. About 1/3 of the shooters do it each year. This is only a once a year thing.

5 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

The last match of the year is our "Open Range" shoot. We have a Cat called "Free Grazer." If you shot one duelist, one double duelist, one gun fighter, one outlaw, one two handed, and one Josey Wales ( optional), you are a Free Grazer. About 1/3 of the shooters do it each year. This is only a once a year thing.

That's close to "All Around Cowboy" which we've had around here a time or two.  I would like to see it again with 1 stage duelist, 1 stage gunfighter, 1 stage outlaw, and 1 stage traditional, the balance however you choose.  Also 1 stage hammered double, 1 stage double, 1 stage 97, 1 stage 87, the balance however you choose.   Let the shooter choose which stage gets engaged with which shooting style and with which guns as long as the minimums are met.  Tough to score and you would need four shotguns, but perhaps fun to compete in. 

Since our club has so many NCOWS shooters we have a "Working Cowboy" class that uses one pistol and one rifle. Our NCOWS club has an "Indian Fighter" category that uses five shots from a single shot rifle (Sharps, Trapdoor, etc..), two percussion revolvers, and a shotgun, all using BP or subs. 

Funny story.............a pard of mine Johnny Shiloh wrote down "Old Fart Duelist" at Tusco when he turned 60. Johnny almost always wins his category or at least comes in second. When the awards were given, Senior Duelist came up and there was no Johnny Shiloh mentioned. He had a very puzzled look on his face, after all he shot good and also cleaned the match. The very last category mentioned was "Old Fart Duelist"!!! Johnny was #1

Split Rail (The match director) said he would recognize any category you write down! Too much fun!!!:lol:

The Sloughhouse Irregulars have an "Open" category.  This means you can shoot any shooting style on any stage.  So gunfighter one stage, traditional one stage, duelist one stage, etc.  Just have to follow the category rules for whichever one you're shooting.

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Sorry but I find this confusing.  I don’t understand how/why the number of categories influences how long a match takes.  A large number of categories can certainly make for a long awards ceremony, but isn’t the amount of time on the shooting line determined by the number of shooters and posse size?  What am I missing?

You’re not missing anything. Some folks will find things to complain about even if there is no real problems, only imagined potential ones. 

23 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

You’re not missing anything. Some folks will find things to complain about even if there is no real problems, only imagined potential ones. 

Well I'm actually telling you exactly how it is.

This club used to shoot 6 stages. Then they went down to 5. I asked why and was told because they need time to run BAM.

Do you really think that I'd be telling a bunch of BS to get folks to...what...think like me???

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This club used to shoot 6 stages. Then they went down to 5. I asked why and was told because they need time to run BAM.

Do you really think that I'd be telling a bunch of BS to get folks to...what...think like me???

Phantom

The thought had crossed my mind. 

I shoot at five diffetent clubs, and each of them allows these non sass categories if folks want. In each of these clubs, there’s zero difference in finish time if someone shoots one of these categories or not. The only thing I have noticed in matches that do occasionally run long is the hot weather and how it affects the pace of work being done. 

1 minute ago, Redwood Kid said:

The thought had crossed my mind. 

I shoot at five diffetent clubs, and each of them allows these non sass categories if folks want. In each of these clubs, there’s zero difference in finish time if someone shoots one of these categories or not. The only thing I have noticed in matches that do occasionally run long is the hot weather and how it affects the pace of work being done. 

Well then there is no longer any reason to respond to you.

I'm not going to try and convince someone of my lack of desire to deceive anyone.

Phantom

35 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

What is BAM?

I believe there ARE some odd Outlaws.

Some may even say "WAIMEA is an odd Outlaw".

(They'd be wrong, of course).:lol:

But I don't think the whole category is odd.

Waimea

2 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Thanks. That would add a lot of time. 

They run it after the Cowboy match. But only have so much time to use the land. So in order to accomplish both, the reduced the Cowboy stages down to 5.

If I'm mistaken...which would be weird since this is what an officer of the club told me when I asked why we didn't shoot 6 stages anymore...then I'm sure someone will correct me.

Thanks Doc for not questioning my motives. Hope all is good my friend!

Phantom

22 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

They run it after the Cowboy match. But only have so much time to use the land. So in order to accomplish both, the reduced the Cowboy stages down to 5.

If I'm mistaken...which would be weird since this is what an officer of the club told me when I asked why we didn't shoot 6 stages anymore...then I'm sure someone will correct me.

Phantom

Gotcha.  That makes for a very long day. 

We're all doing well thank you.  Hope you and yours are well too!

36 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

Ok that’s apples and oranges my friend. Shortening a match from six to five stages because they’re running basically another match after your match is not the same as a few folks running a non sass category during a match.

It sounds to me a lot more like a scheduling conflict than non sass categories slowing down a sass sanctioned match. 

Cody Dixon

Sharpshooter

once a year on a 5th Saturday we have “Iron Cowboy” I stage each 

gunfighter

dualist

2 handed

outlaw

buckaroo

Wild bunch 

i think  a lot of folks like shooting buckaroo the best.  Just fun to shoot the 22s and 410s. I even bought a 410 SXS just for this match! 

How about a "Dis-Grunted Cowboy" with no Class ,,, Must shoot .32 or .38 caliber Revolvers with Barrels less than 4.25 inches long , And rifles must be .32 or .38 caliber with barrels less than 17 inches long ... Powder Charges can not exceed 1.9 Grains of smokeless powder and Holy Black Can't be used .... Shotguns must have barrels no longer than 18.25 inches and Shot Charges may Not exceed 5/8 of an Oz...... All Shooters must carry a Whistle and must blow it twice before joining the Whining ....

Jabez Cowboy

19 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The Sloughhouse Irregulars have an "Open" category.  This means you can shoot any shooting style on any stage.  So gunfighter one stage, traditional one stage, duelist one stage, etc.  Just have to follow the category rules for whichever one you're shooting.

That's how we offer Shootist.

20 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

We offer this at the Cavalier Cowboys matches but we call it the Wild West category.

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I wish there was a category where I could shoot these...Alternate.thumb.jpg.d1c26baa5351e2509c515164d87f56e6.jpg

Three out of four are genuine antiques.   :)

But, no such category exists, so I don't use 'em.

There’s a non-sass match I shoot every other month that those guns would not only be allowed, but encouraged. 

Archived