SASS Wire Forum

What odd categories do your clubs recognize?

Tennessee williams

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I KNEW the explanation of that category would get some of your britches in a bunch!

Those who participate are recovering from shoulder surgery, or have gotten "shaky" shooting with one hand, but still want to enjoy shooting cap & ball.

The sucky part of these categories is when clubs cut down on the quantity of cowboy stages shot because the added categories eat up too much time.

Yes, this does happen.

Phantom (who's real happy shooting one of the SASS recognised categories)

Tusco accepts any category you can come up with except for their 3day shoot!

4 minutes ago, Clay Thornton said:

Do tell more? Do you allow jacketed rounds? What kind of rifles?

You have to wear spurs with big ol' round rowels so you can really gig that old nag.;)

7 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Plus Steampunk.

Yes, Steampunk too. Forgot them funny dressers.

And I was just funning, Dutch. If ya wanna two hand em, by all means.

But two handers always look funny to me. :D

8 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

You have to wear spurs with big ol' round rowels so you can really gig that old nag.;)

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Modern was a category before the categories got all screwed up.

Ah ok, I thought that meant you had folks with like Glocks, pistol caliber ARs, and 870s banging away on your steel like some sort of modern wild bunch, 3 gun sort of experience.  Fair enough thanks

15 minutes ago, Clay Thornton said:

Do tell more? Do you allow jacketed rounds? What kind of rifles?

Back in the day there were a lot fewer categories.

Modern covered revolvers with Adjustable Sights

Traditional covered revolvers with Fixed Sights

5 minutes ago, Clay Thornton said:

Ah ok, I thought that meant you had folks with like Glocks, pistol caliber ARs, and 870s banging away on your steel like some sort of modern wild bunch, 3 gun sort of experience.  Fair enough thanks

we tried that about 2000 or so. Called it Urban Cowboy. Never did catch on too well. Remington 1100's, Beretta's and the like, pistol caliber carbines, semi auto pistols.

22 minutes ago, Clay Thornton said:

That would be Miami Vice, just once a year at Green Mountain Regulators.  Any guns, but only lead bullets.

57 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Tusco accepts any category you can come up with except for their 3day shoot!

We accept any category including the 3 day.

Stage Coach Reinsman (must shoot from a seated position, we put this in place for Short Wagon, who is in a wheel chair)

Wild West Category (you can shoot .22 caliber cowboy firearms, the idea was so if newbies only had .22's, they could at least get out and shoot, they get scored in that category but not eligible to win overall).

Our shoots are held on the 4th Sunday but this year we have added the 5th Sunday when they occur.  On the 5th Sunday we will offer a 1911 Category those that want to use their 1911 pistol, the Josey Wales category, and we will allow new shooters that do not have all their cowboy guns to use 22s in their place.  At all other monthly matches, we always honor Outlaw.

"Civil War" Muzzleloading rifle with bayonet. 2 rifle shots, fix bayonet and charge. At least one stage must "accidently" fire ramrod down range.

"Original Outlaw" Intentionally shoots first stage wrong, gets "arrested" and spends the rest of the day in the jail. 

"Dime Novelist" Does not shoot, doesn't even come to the range. Stays home and writes wildly fictional account of CAS.

KIDDING! Only SASS categories but if someone wants to do something different at a monthly, I don't think anyone really cares.

55 minutes ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

We accept any category including the 3 day.

Stage Coach Reinsman (must shoot from a seated position, we put this in place for Short Wagon, who is in a wheel chair)

Now thats a damn fine idea!

Arizona Cowboy Shooters Association

Shootist, must shoot 2 stages out of 6 as gunfighter, 2 as duelist, and 2 two handed.

TB

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Modern was a category before the categories got all screwed up.

The demise of the Modern category is still a sore spot with many. The "boutique" categories that have been added for participation awards are all odd. 

Some unofficial categories I have seen:

Josey Wales of course

Rifleman: Like Josey Wales, but all rifle(s) instead of pistol

Pale Rider and Pale Rider gunfighter: Basically Frontier Cartridge but with a minimum caliber and black powder amount.

Mix category: This one is where you can shoot 1911's as pistols or even rifle. As the rifle, you get a 10 second bonus. Stoked shotguns are allowed as well but for a 10 penalty. For those doing the math, the two off set each other

True Grit: Which is my own personal category, a combination of FCGF and Classic Cowboy.

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The sucky part of these categories is when clubs cut down on the quantity of cowboy stages shot because the added categories eat up too much time.

Yes, this does happen.

Phantom (who's real happy shooting one of the SASS recognised categories)

Sorry but I find this confusing.  I don’t understand how/why the number of categories influences how long a match takes.  A large number of categories can certainly make for a long awards ceremony, but isn’t the amount of time on the shooting line determined by the number of shooters and posse size?  What am I missing?

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Sorry but I find this confusing.  I don’t understand how/why the number of categories influences how long a match takes.  A large number of categories can certainly make for a long awards ceremony, but isn’t the amount of time on the shooting line determined by the number of shooters and posse size?  What am I missing?

The club runs a category that requires it to run differently in such a way that they can't run with the Cowboy shooters. So, the went from 6 stages to 5 stages (Cowboy stages) so that they can then take the other folks through their match.

Cowboy Club...lessening the Cowboy match.

The other negative at the match is all the other categories that they run concurrent with the Cowboys. So many different stage engagement instructions that it really does make it a pain to spot/time/etc that it really does add time to the match.

Call me old fashion, but I like Cowboy Shooting as is...or shall I say with the SASS approved cats. That said, I don't have any problem with cats that make it possible for people with physical problems to play the game.

Phantom

38 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If they are shooting 1911's the brass picking takes considerably longer.

Archived