SASS Wire Forum

Who made this car?

Watching an old movie (After The Thin Man) and a car kept showing up called a TUXEDO....big chrome letters on the sides of the hood.  Can't see any other markings but it appears to be a mid-range American four door sedan.  Any clues?

If you're talking about the taxi, it is a DeSoto Airstream!

I think "Tuxedo" is the name of the cab company.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

1935 DeSoto Airstream owned by the Tuxedo Taxi Co.

Your Google Fu is top notch!!  :lol:

1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Your Google Fu is top notch!!  :lol:

As is yours!  I was using my phone to reply and pulled out our little laptop to Google "cars in after the thin man" then clicked on the image tab.

Similar in many respects to the famous Chrysler Airflow!!

Did y'all know ('cause I don't know nothing about the car) that the femme fatale was Blondie?

That's right. Baby Dumpling's mama hangin' out with gangsters and runnin' 'round wid a married man.

28 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If you're talking about the taxi, it is a DeSoto Airstream!

I think "Tuxedo" is the name of the cab company.

Okay, but that sure doesn't look like the Chrysler and DeSoto Airflows I remember.  They were a lot more streamlined that that windshield shows.

Right!!  Tuxedo Cab Company or something like that.  The picture above is one example. There were a few of 'em!! 

Okay, now I'll buy it as an Airstream but not an Airflow, which had more streamlining such as headlights in fender fairings, slightly more slope to everything, and small design features such as window shape, that set it off.

Design was way ahead of its time and Chrysler / DeSoto almost couldn't give them away.  Chrysler also build a Custom Imperial Airflow Series CW from 1934 to 1936 for a total of only 62 units.  The DeSotos were smaller than the Chryslers and had only one version with a 100 hp six cylinder engine compared to big brother's eight cylinder with up to 150 hp.

Reference New Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930 -1980.  Authors are Langworth and Robson, Publisher is Consumer Guide 1987.

They don't even show the Airstream.

They were tough old Cars......

I had never heard of an Airstream before this thread. Interesting that Chrysler built two very different cars at the same time with such similar names. A bit more info here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Airstream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Airflow

It says "Tuxedo 1234" on the side of the hood.

I think that's the phone number.

Dear old Dad had a DeSoto.

He said it had something like a Semi Automatic Transmission ... he called it Chewing Gum Drive, and he hated it!

Fluid drive!!  Wet clutch setup like some fork lifts used to run!!

Archived