SASS Wire Forum

What is a good scoring system?

Thunder Creek Kid

ACES, Practiscore or the SASS programme.

Practiscore -- it is by the same people that originally created ACES.  They have abandoned ACES but they have now included CAS as a match type.  It works great.  You can do all the scoring on screen and then output various PDF reports for posting.   All for free. 

I suggest using the one that keeps my name above yours in the results.:P

I’ve been pushing the guess your time before you shoot method but folks think I’m cheating when I guess my time.

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I like the tried and true method taking pen to paper! :P

Do you assist in tallying up the scores post match and getting them out to the rest of the shooters?

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Do you assist in tallying up the scores post match and getting them out to the rest of the shooters?

Yes, if needed! There’s usually plenty of people volunteering to do that. For the record I’m talking about smaller monthly shoots not necessarily bigger 3 day shoots. One shoot I go to does both with pen and paper as a backup !

4 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I suggest using the one that keeps my name above yours in the results.:P

My friends shall not be penalized, but mine own score shall be swiftest with all of my sworn enemies smighted with stage DQs.

2 hours ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

My friends shall not be penalized, but mine own score shall be swiftest with all of my sworn enemies smighted with stage DQs.

You must come to the Range to smite thy enemy.;)

On 3/7/2019 at 9:10 PM, Thunder Creek Kid said:

What are clubs using for your scoring of monthly matches? Are they user friendly? Are they easy to learn? Were they expensive?

We are looking for some new ideas.

Talk to Woody Shootem at Stoney Bottom, they also use back up pen and paper along with their I-Pads.

thunder creek,  the system at stoney bottom is easy,, I can even do it!!!  and you have results quickly,,,  and the great thing going for OVV is that there is cover on almost all the stages to protect it if it should happen to rain,,,

Tusco even uses pen and paper, then it’s entered into their computer. Talk to Bubba about their program.

it is much easier on everyone to use one of the programs,,   no one is stuck trying to enter times while everyone else socializes,,,  once the last shooter is done and it is entered, you're ready for the report...

12 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

it is much easier on everyone to use one of the programs,,   no one is stuck trying to enter times while everyone else socializes,,,  once the last shooter is done and it is entered, you're ready for the report...

The draw backs of that are there are no records though. I was at a match last weekend and the guy that should have got 2nd was 3rd because somehow he end up with a 26.xx second stage instead of the 16.xx he really shot.

With the tablets you never see your scores or anyone else's so even when they read the results off at the end of the match you can't really tell if they are correct until the scores are posted days later on the website. Then if they are wrong how do you really know then? 

We use the SASS program and keep the hard copies until the next match just in case there is a question or error. A little more work but not much and well worth the time (IMO) so we always get it right. 

We started getting someone to text pictures of the scores to the folks putting them in so we don't have to run back & forth or wait until the end. That works great if you have a non-shooter scorekeeper for the monthlies and we always do for bigger matches. If not (for monthlies) they bring laptops and update the scores in between shooting and it's their job just like brass pickin' or spotting etc.  Sometimes they don't worry about the scores until the end but by the time we put away the steel and guns the scores are done. They have it down pat so I just stay OUT of it...……..lol

The CASS program has provisions that make it necessary for the shooter to review and sign off on their score at every stage, just like a paper copy. It can either be a simple X or their secret issued pin #.  Another advantage is that the scores are automatically entered when you sign off at the stage. This eliminates the problem of transferring the data from the paper and entering it into the computer.... Believe me, there ARE mistakes make in the transferring of data.....it sure cost me at xx.  A good electronic score system, that requires the shooter to review and sign his score would eliminate that problem and other problems, like Dyslexic transfers etc. It is the very best way to get accurate scores entered, instantly. If you must, then you can also keep a paper backup as long as the two are reconciled ON THE STAGE as they are entered. The shooter should keep their own score sheet too. If you choose to, you can display all scores of every posse and shooter on a large screen TV, live, on a rotational basis.  It can display the top score on every stage and update as soon as someone beats that time. If you want, the match scores can be watched live from anywhere in the world, LIVE, as long as an internet connection signal is present. It works with Ipad or Android.  It has a proven track record at both small and large matches. (It has been used at the Western Regional for a number of years). It was developed by a master professional with a number of successful software developing businesses under his belt. When he started playing this game, he was amazed at the cumbersome scoring software that was in use, so he, with the aid of his team, just wrote their own. We tried every one that was available at the time, and this one just blew them away..... and, IT'S FREE!

Snakebite

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

.. it surely cost me at WR! Half of the scores were water soaked and had run down the page because they used a marker to score with. About all that could be done was to take a good guess. ...

Snakebite

Snakebite.  We didn't guess.  And we post the proofs so if you had a scoring problem - all you needed to do was to come to the stat house and bring your score card and posse marshal before 9:00 am on Sunday and we would have reviewed the sheet(s) in question.  Yes we have made mistakes in the past but very rarely as our proofing system works well and we retain the sheets until the awards are handed out.   

When you have only a couple of hours to get the scores ready AND CORRECT before the evening meal for a couple of hundred shooters, electronics is a godsend.

Cowboy Action Simplified scoring requires a server (Desktop recommended) (Correct me if I wrong Tex) If you have power at the range and are somewhat familiar with setting up a server then this program works well.

For many of us we do not have access to power. Practiscore is a more viable option as it runs on Tablets and or a laptop with a emulator program. The downside is that you have to email the scores to yourself to print out the scores.

4 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Snakebite.  We didn't guess.  And we post the proofs so if you had a scoring problem - all you needed to do was to come to the stat house and bring your score card and posse marshal before 9:00 am on Sunday and we would have reviewed the sheet(s) in question.  Yes we have made mistakes in the past but very rarely as our proofing system works well and we retain the sheets until the awards are handed out.   

That is true... it is my fault and I apologize for using it as an example. I might add that not everyone knows where to find their posse marshal after the match is done, or makes it to the review board. That is of course the shooter's responsibility and if they don't do it, then it is their fault.  My intention was to highlight one of the biggest benefits of using a scoring program, not too cast dispersion on a great match. Sorry, I will remove the reference.  

Archived