SASS Wire Forum

Styles of lasagna

Ok this is really OT.

i was in Europe and I ordered Lasagna, maybe it was lasagne, but I got a serving of something about 3 inches square and an inch and a half high with six layers of pasta and very little other stuff.?

i am used to three layers of pasta and tons of stuff between.

researching this, I found that there are many different styles in Italy.

What do you think?

Buy a box of noodles for lasagna; it's labelled on the outside "Lasagna".

But it's definitely not "lasagna" as we know it - with sausage, ground beef, tomato sauce, mushrooms, cheese, etc.

I'm with you; give me a full "stuff" version - a MEAT version, not veggie - and I'll call it lasagna.  Otherwise, it's something with noodles.

LL

Like Mexican food Italian food is regional and the same dish varies with region.  I 1st learned this from a 1st generation Italian American couple when we traveled to San Luis Obispo to attend a musical their theater arts major daughter was in.  Nona came along and we had a family lunch at a restaurant in Cambria.  We had noticed an Italian bakery near the restaurant and we decided to patronize it.  Nona made some cringe worthy comments when she stuck up her nose at the baked treats.  She announced that it was a Sicilian bakery.  She is is from Tuscany & they look down on the "Brown Skinned" Sicilians.  The same bigotry that some Americans have for those who aren't melanin challenged.

P.S. In 2014 while visiting a relative stationed in Stuttgart we made a weekend side trip to Torino.  I wasn't impressed with the cuisine,  antipastos, spaghetti & ravioli.

2 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

I make a version using ground bison.  Very nice.

That sounds pretty good !

Marshal, were you in Germany? I saw something similar there.

I went to a Mexican Restaurant in Germany. It was if someone read a book about Mexican restaurants and then decided to open one without ever having set foot inside a real one. The food was bland and didn’t resemble Mexican food in regards to taste. It kind of looked like it though.

The pretty blond waitress greeted me with a “Hola Senor”  in her German accent. Cute.

My favorite Italian food!!! My Italian mother would make it with 3 layers and ricotta cheese, also with small meatballs in between and another sometimes with pieces of sausage!! I miss her cooking !! 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Mexican lasagna??  Say more,please.

Mexican Lasagna

Crema

1 pint heavy cream                             2T Buttermilk

Combine. Let sit on the counter 24 hours and in the refrigerator 24 hours.

Can keep refrigerated up to 2 weeks.

Lasagna 

1 box uncooked Lasagna

3-12 oz. cans of chicken, drained

16 oz. medium salsa Verde

2 c. grated mozzarella

2 c. grated cheddar/jack

¾ c. sour cream

Crema, see recipe

1-7oz. or 2-4 oz. can of mild  diced green chilis

Preheat oven to 375. Combine all except cheese and lasagna. Mix together cheeses. Spread chili/chicken mixture on bottom of large flat baking dish. Layer with lasagna, more mixture, and then cheese. Repeat.

Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes.

It freezes and reheats well. I use Costco's canned chicken. I'm sure it would be great with cooked chicken too.

Archived