SASS Wire Forum

US Air Force retiring the last of their revolvers.

The US Air Force is retiring the last of their revolvers; the S&W Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece."

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26810/the-usaf-is-finally-ditching-the-last-of-its-cold-war-revolvers-for-new-semi-auto-pistols

The Model 15 is a classic revolver and still considered by many as the finest revolver ever produced in .38 Special. 

My wife keeps a Model 15 in her nightstand and it is the gun she carries in the car when traveling.  She loves it.

My wife's S&W Model 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece" in .38 Special

uBR4Iz.jpg

Do you think these revolvers will go to CMP?  I would love to get one.

By the way, the article mentions training with "Simunitions" which are realistic sounding blanks. We did a drill last year at the rail agency I used to work at and we had a hostage drill and the police officers used simunitions. Holy Cow were those things loud...too bad they didn't tell anyone what they were going to do.. My ears rang for 3 days.

48 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

By the way, the article mentions training with "Simunitions" which are realistic sounding blanks. We did a drill last year at the rail agency I used to work at and we had a hostage drill and the police officers used simunitions. Holy Cow were those things loud...too bad they didn't tell anyone what they were going to do.. My ears rang for 3 days.

Simunitions are nowhere near blanks. They hurt.

if you didn’t wear a cup for sims day, at least put a magazine in your trousers.

"Though the M15 has been an available option as a blank-firing training aid, one has to imagine the costs and complexities of continuing to use a small number of these revolvers, and the ammunition to go with them, has grown over the years. No other service still uses these guns or any other weapon chambered in .38 caliber. Having the AFSFC’s K9 program use the same pistols as everyone else can only make things simpler all around."

Hmmmm. The M15s are already paid for, they're only used in K9 training and the ammo is readily available. What could be more cost-effective than that? And I guarantee the dog doesn't know the difference between a revolver and a Sig.

25 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Hmmmm. The M15s are already paid for, they're only used in K9 training and the ammo is readily available. What could be more cost-effective than that? And I guarantee the dog doesn't know the difference between a revolver and a Sig.

This is the government we're talking about. Don't expect anything to make sense. <_<

27 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

"Though the M15 has been an available option as a blank-firing training aid, one has to imagine the costs and complexities of continuing to use a small number of these revolvers, and the ammunition to go with them, has grown over the years. No other service still uses these guns or any other weapon chambered in .38 caliber. Having the AFSFC’s K9 program use the same pistols as everyone else can only make things simpler all around."

Every item in inventory has significant logistics costs unrelated to the cost of the item. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Simunition is actually not a blank. They fire a non lethal projectile made of powdered soap that disintegrates upon impact You have to wear heavy or padded clothes. Still stings. Some departments have discontinued it due to the fact that you use a real firearm to fire them and there have been unfortunate accidents where alive round as fired instead of a simunition round.

7 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The US Air Force is retiring the last of their revolvers; the S&W Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece."

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26810/the-usaf-is-finally-ditching-the-last-of-its-cold-war-revolvers-for-new-semi-auto-pistols

The Model 15 is a classic revolver and still considered by many as the finest revolver ever produced in .38 Special. 

My wife keeps a Model 15 in her nightstand and it is the gun she carries in the car when traveling.  She loves it.

My wife's S&W Model 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece" in .38 Special

uBR4Iz.jpg

That's a beautiful piece!!

I had a model 19. Best gun I ever owned. :(

Got a notice earlier this week that several million rounds of 38 special 130 grain FMJ are available through the Federal DRMO program for government  agencies to acquire.  Also, a lot of 45 ACP, 308, 30-06, and 5.56 mm.  I'm putting in for about 3200 rounds of 38 for training purposes.  

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I had a model 19. Best gun I ever owned. :(

I did too and I sold it and I don't even know why I did! Stupid move!!:blink:

I have a Model 15 with a 6" barrel that is my center fire pistol in the Bulls Eye Pistol league I shoot in. Absolutely wonderful handgun...accurate and dependable. I've shot it in competition for the last 18 years. I did change the grips to a set with a thumb rest.

I have a Model 15-2 which, according to the daughter of the deceased prior owner had been fired only six times and then put away.  It is in brand new condition.  I also have a Model 19-3 with a 6 inch barrel.  Both guns have the "target" triggers and hammers.  I have not fired the Model 15 and the 19 shoots better than I ever did.  These pieces really give credence to "they don't make them like this anymore".

Both are "safe queens"!

My model 15 was imported back into the US. It was originally sold to Israel, and brought back by Century Arms Importers.  Had the ugliest, worst feeling set of rubber grips I've ever felt.  

Put a set of old Safariland/Rogers grips on it.  Gave it a thorough cleaning, dropped a set of Wolff springs in it, polished a few internal points, and have a super slick, accurate little gun.  Been shooting IDPA and other revolver competitions with it.  

Never been a big Model 19 fan, but I sure like this K frame.

model 15.jpg

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I did too and I sold it and I don't even know why I did! Stupid move!!:blink:

My grandfather had a beer stein that had this printed on it, "Ve grow too soon old, und too late schmart"

The Model 19 has come up and I have to admit, if there's a better revolver than the Model 15, it's Model 19.  I shoot my Model 19 better than any other handgun I've ever shot. 

I know Badger Mountain Charlie laments having to look at my ugly guns, but he'll have to endure another.

S&W Model 19-3 "Combat Magnum" in .357 Magnum.

EfsYRx.jpg

That brings back some memories.  Carried one from 1978 to 1982 in the USAF.  Still own a safe queen.  They are a sweet handling and shooting revolver!

On 3/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Forgotten Weapon guy just did a video of the Colt aircrewman

I checked Gunbroker, and there's one up for auction - sort of a "dealer's sample", really, listed as a "Pre-Aircrewman". Buy It Now price, $8500.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The Model 19 has come up and I have to admit, if there's a better revolver than the Model 15, it's Model 19.  I shoot my Model 19 better than any other handgun I've ever shot. 

I know Badger Mountain Charlie laments having to look at my ugly guns, but he'll have to endure another.

S&W Model 19-3 "Combat Magnum" in .357 Magnum.

EfsYRx.jpg

Not at all ugly. Classic is the word to describe those Smiths. 

When I first entered the Air Force, I was selected to be a carrier and had to qualify with that pistol.  It was fun and really enjoyable.  So enjoyable, that I failed to qualify first time around so I could keep shooting(ok, shameful on my part, but what can I say?:D)

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:32 PM, Oregonian said:

That brings back some memories.  Carried one from 1978 to 1982 in the USAF.  Still own a safe queen.  They are a sweet handling and shooting revolver!

I have a question for you.  Were these guns specially marked to show that they were used by the Air Force?  I was an Air Force ROTC cadet and if these guns are specially marked and end up being sold by CMP I would really like to get one.

Hey Pete. I know they were marked in some way but I can't remember how/where they were marked.   They had a numerical unit marking for logistical/accounting at the armory during check in and checkout.  We had a brass chit with the number of our assigned duty weapon and our name and rank.  We  would pass it to the armorer at checkout and he would give it back to us at check in.  What I can't remember is any "US Property" or "USAF" markings.  Maybe someone with less years than I can remember!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, Oregonian said:

Hey Pete. I know they were marked in some way but I can't remember how/where they were marked.   They had a numerical unit marking for logistical/accounting at the armory during check in and checkout.  We had a brass chit with the number of our assigned duty weapon and our name and rank.  We  would pass it to the armorer at checkout and he would give it back to us at check in.  What I can't remember is any "US Property" or "USAF" markings.  Maybe someone with less years than I can remember!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Archived