SASS Wire Forum

Tree Felling

Yul Lose

Can any of you tree fellers do this?

No photo description available.

That's wild...reminds me of a problem in Mechanical Drawing class, where the teacher gave us the top view and the front view, and we had to draw the ride side view...only it was tough to visualize what that would be.  I'm still trying to figure out how the vertical cuts were made, and without leaving a visible kerf.

Neat!

LL

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wonder why they just didn't do the 'V' cut to the side they want it to fall?

Never seen that one before. :huh:

OLG

Because V cuts are so passé. :D

Wonder what that chain saw blade looked like by the time this was done. Someone had too much time on their hands. Tough on a blade to cut that way.;)

Cut the stab cut at the bottom first. Then cut the two horizontal cuts.  Finally do the two vertical cuts and then drive the wedges in to fell the tree.  For what purpose?  Ya' got me there!!

Better be a damned good chainsaw and an even better chain!!

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Better be a damned good chainsaw and an even better chain!!

Not only that but you gotta be really good at judging angles. No way could I ever cut into a tree and make all the cuts perfectly parallel/perpendicular like that.

If the guy that did that worked for me and used my saw I would put my foot up his...

I helped my dad bring down lots of trees and I have done a boatload myself (hundreds, all together). Foolin' around cutting trees can get you killed.

After thinking about the cut it would help with the direction of dropping the tree. I have cut many trees and that would be the only reason to put forth that much additional work. The plunge cuts don't place a lot of pressure on the chain or blade because you're only removing material. There's no additional weight on the saw. 

I'm going to have to try it out. 

It is called a Key notch.  It is used  when the mass of the tree is such that it is hard to tell where it will fall exactly, where there is a structure close by and/or when the top of the tree is hung up in another tree or vice versa.  It is, as Assassin noted a very good way to control the direction of the trees fall and the 1st three cuts aren't particularly hard on the saw.  To perform it, the tree must be a minimum of 3 times the width of the saw blade.

Too many people rely upon ropes, chains and come alongs- and while they can works , big trees are heavy and will easily snap ropes and drag vehicles used as ballast.

Come on guys, chain saws don't have blades, they are bars. Just check in the store where they sell the Bar and Chain Oil.

Correct.  Sorry for misspeaking.

I have $10.00 for everyone that didn't understand my statement.  Post your request here and explain your confusion.  I will be the final judge on whether or not you qualify for payment.

Pro Rata distribution

43 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Correct.  Sorry for misspeaking.

I have $10.00 for everyone that didn't understand my statement.  Post your request here and explain your confusion.  I will be the final judge on whether or not you qualify for payment.

Pro Rata distribution

I am utterly confused about how you can be so knowledgeable about chainsaws and tree felling. I’ll PM you my address for the $10.00.

More instructional video with why you would want to use a Key Notch or Tongue and Groove felling.

Sometimes we need the tree to hold on the stump for horizontal cover due to a complete lack of cover in an excellent location, but the only trees in the area are species that don't respond well to hinge cutting (aspen, conifer, balsam, some maples, etc). If you consider yourself a novice or weekend warrior then this advanced arborist technique may not be for you due to safety reasons. Attempt at your own risk. Wear all safety gear.

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I am utterly confused about how you can be so knowledgeable about chainsaws and tree felling. I’ll PM you my address for the $10.00.

I have reviewed your statement and find it utterly self serving and erroneous.  You are not approved for payment.  PS go back and look at the post VERY carefully.

20 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I have reviewed your statement and find it utterly self serving and erroneous.  You are not approved for payment.  PS go back and look at the post VERY carefully.

Let me revise my statement, counselor. I find it difficult to understand how a lawyer can understand the intricacies of this type of tree felling with a chainsaw. :lol:

Just now, Yul Lose said:

Let me revise my statement, counselor. I find it difficult to understand how a lawyer can understand the intricacies of this type of tree felling with a chainsaw. :lol:

Maybe he was a lawyer for a logging company?

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

I've run a chainsaw many a time, starting ~ 37 years ago.  I dropped dozens of trees over the years and have helped with clean up after natural disasters.  But I'm just a lawyer, so I guess I don't know squat.

So I really don’t get the $10.00?:D

Archived