SASS Wire Forum

Late post, but let us remember the Alamo

If you ever get the chance to visit the Alamo, take it. Every American should be able to.

I've been there many times. Lived in San Antonio doing clinicals in college. I remember my dad taking me there as a kid. I actually became ill thinking of those men. I really can't imagine their courage.

JHC

23 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I actually preferred the more recent Alamo movie with Billy Bob Thornton.

It was more historically correct for sure.

But dang, the original was a whopper of a vintage Hollywood entertaining movie!

Several adoptions ago, the fourth grade social studies adoption which covers Texas history was obviously not written or read by native Texans as it said the battle of the Alamo lasted 12 days, not thirteen.  They forgot that year was a leap year. I had every student in my classes use a ballpoint pen to correct it to 13 days.

5 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

same feeling at San Jancito 

Speaking of San Jancito, visiting the battleship USS Texas is on my bucket list. I need to go see her before she collapses in on herself from all the rust or gets scrapped.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Speaking of San Jancito, visiting the battleship USS Texas is on my bucket list. I need to go see her before she collapses in on herself from all the rust or gets scrapped.

Yup. Went there as a kid.

Somewhere I have pictures of a thinner myself sitting behind a big gun on the USS Texas.  I do hope that ship gets repaired.

I love the Alamo, and visited it often back when I was making trips to San Antonio.  That picture above is a mental favorite of mine - after sundown, nobody around, very quiet..........you close your eyes...........well, you know.........

TexasFlagWavingLonestarflag.jpg

48 minutes ago, Nubbins Colt #7802 said:

Somewhere I have pictures of a thinner myself sitting behind a big gun on the USS Texas.  I do hope that ship gets repaired.

I love the Alamo, and visited it often back when I was making trips to San Antonio.  That picture above is a mental favorite of mine - after sundown, nobody around, very quiet..........you close your eyes...........well, you know.........

TexasFlagWavingLonestarflag.jpg

I think I have a pic like that somewhere. I believe I was 16 or so.

Archived