SASS Wire Forum

I’m gettin eddicated

Utah Bob #35998

Been watching Scotch videos on Youtube. :lol:

20 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Are they all infomercial type?  I.e., only show you the good things?

I don’t watch any that are done by the distilleries.  ;)

Yeah, but are ya learning anything? The two Aberlours and the  Balvenie put the others to shame, IMHO, of course.

Hawkshaw Fred gave a whiskey demonstration and tasting at the Menger when the SASS Convention was in San Antonio. He had whiskies, bourbon, and rye. I found it very interesting. I can't imagine having one without the tasting part. ;)

He even taught us how to taste without imbibing-interesting concept.

Naturally one of ths videos doesn't take the place of an actual tasting. But it will give you the general character of different brands so you have an idea what you might like to try in the furure. For instance, "Tastes heavily of peat from that region" is a turn off for me. :D

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Naturally one of ths videos doesn't take the place of an actual tasting. But it will give you the general character of different brands so you have an idea what you might like to try in the future. For instance, "Tastes heavily of peat from that region" is a turn off for me. :D

It ain't scotch without the earthy "peat" aroma & taste.  Just like it isn't tequila without the agave cactus taste or grappa without the taste of grape skins.  I am not a scotch whiskey fan due to smells & tastes like dirt character.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

It ain't scotch without the earthy "peat" aroma & taste.  Just like it isn't tequila without the agave cactus taste or grappa without the taste of grape skins.  I am not a scotch whiskey fan due to smells & tastes like dirt character.

You obviously haven’t tried Aberlour.

2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

That’s what I thought. 

I swore off scotch decades ago because of the peat. Problem was I was drinking cheap Scotch like people who say “Yucch” when you mention Tequila. Their experience is usually memories of shots of cheap Tequila in Tijuana or college dorms. A finely crafted Tequila is a joy to sip while watching the sun set.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze. And you have to be selective with the expensive stuff. :D

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That’s what I thought. 

I swore off scotch decades ago because of the peat. Problem was I was drinking cheap Scotch like people who say “Yucch” when you mention Tequila. Their experience is usually memories of shots of cheap Tequila in Tijuana or college dorms. A finely crafted Tequila is a joy to sip while watching the sun set.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze. And you have to be selective with the expensive stuff. :D

My sentiments also.  If your going to make fruity drinks like Margaritas it is a waste to use top shelf liquor.  The most interesting Margaritas I have ever had was made by the caretaker of a villa that we & 3 other couples rented in Cabo San Lucas in the 90's.  Instead of triplesec he used an indigenous to Baja California state liquor made from a native plant.  It is called liquor de damiana.  It comes in a bottle shaped like a headless Buda.  I only found the stuff at Bevmo when I lived in Brentwood CA (not OJ's).

37 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

liquor de damiana

Damiana Liqueur is a light herbal based liqueur from Mexico. It's made with the Damiana herb, a natural aphrodisiac that grows in Baja California, Mexico. It has great mixability and tastes great as a shooter. The bottle is shaped like a pregnant woman and is modeled after the Incan God of Fertility. Lazaro Gallardo, the founder of Los Camichines Distillery in Jalisco, Mexico, created the recipe for Agavero in 1857. He is also credited with the invention of "Seleccion Suave," the process of selecting only the smoothest, best quality tequilas, blending them together in oak and resting them for an extra-long period of time. The Damiana Margarita is very popular in the Los Cabos area of Mexico and the original margarita was made with Damiana Liqueur.

Archived