Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Utah Bob #35998

I’m gettin eddicated

Recommended Posts

Been watching Scotch videos on Youtube. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Are they all infomercial type?  I.e., only show you the good things?

I don’t watch any that are done by the distilleries.  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but are ya learning anything? The two Aberlours and the  Balvenie put the others to shame, IMHO, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hawkshaw Fred gave a whiskey demonstration and tasting at the Menger when the SASS Convention was in San Antonio. He had whiskies, bourbon, and rye. I found it very interesting. I can't imagine having one without the tasting part. ;)

 

He even taught us how to taste without imbibing-interesting concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can taste without imbibing?

 

I know I’ve imbibed without tasting, and just assumed the reverse was true too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

You can taste without imbibing?

 

I know I’ve imbibed without tasting, and just assumed the reverse was true too. 

It involves breathing through your mouth. The aroma hits your taste buds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hawkshaw Fred 

He even taught us how to taste without imbibing-interesting concept.

 

Hey Crash-Were's the fun in that? :lol:

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Naturally one of ths videos doesn't take the place of an actual tasting. But it will give you the general character of different brands so you have an idea what you might like to try in the furure. For instance, "Tastes heavily of peat from that region" is a turn off for me. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Naturally one of ths videos doesn't take the place of an actual tasting. But it will give you the general character of different brands so you have an idea what you might like to try in the future. For instance, "Tastes heavily of peat from that region" is a turn off for me. :D

It ain't scotch without the earthy "peat" aroma & taste.  Just like it isn't tequila without the agave cactus taste or grappa without the taste of grape skins.  I am not a scotch whiskey fan due to smells & tastes like dirt character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

It ain't scotch without the earthy "peat" aroma & taste.  Just like it isn't tequila without the agave cactus taste or grappa without the taste of grape skins.  I am not a scotch whiskey fan due to smells & tastes like dirt character.

You obviously haven’t tried Aberlour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

 

Hey Crash-Were's the fun in that? :lol:

OLG

It's as much fun as watching a video. :D;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

It ain't scotch without the earthy "peat" aroma & taste.  Just like it isn't tequila without the agave cactus taste or grappa without the taste of grape skins.  I am not a scotch whiskey fan due to smells & tastes like dirt character.

That’s what I thought. 

I swore off scotch decades ago because of the peat. Problem was I was drinking cheap Scotch like people who say “Yucch” when you mention Tequila. Their experience is usually memories of shots of cheap Tequila in Tijuana or college dorms. A finely crafted Tequila is a joy to sip while watching the sun set.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze. And you have to be selective with the expensive stuff. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Yeah, but are ya learning anything? The two Aberlours and the  Balvenie put the others to shame, IMHO, of course.

 

I'll second that. Good values IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That’s what I thought. 

I swore off scotch decades ago because of the peat. Problem was I was drinking cheap Scotch like people who say “Yucch” when you mention Tequila. Their experience is usually memories of shots of cheap Tequila in Tijuana or college dorms. A finely crafted Tequila is a joy to sip while watching the sun set.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze. And you have to be selective with the expensive stuff. :D

My sentiments also.  If your going to make fruity drinks like Margaritas it is a waste to use top shelf liquor.  The most interesting Margaritas I have ever had was made by the caretaker of a villa that we & 3 other couples rented in Cabo San Lucas in the 90's.  Instead of triplesec he used an indigenous to Baja California state liquor made from a native plant.  It is called liquor de damiana.  It comes in a bottle shaped like a headless Buda.  I only found the stuff at Bevmo when I lived in Brentwood CA (not OJ's).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

liquor de damiana

 

 

Quote

Damiana Liqueur is a light herbal based liqueur from Mexico. It's made with the Damiana herb, a natural aphrodisiac that grows in Baja California, Mexico. It has great mixability and tastes great as a shooter. The bottle is shaped like a pregnant woman and is modeled after the Incan God of Fertility. Lazaro Gallardo, the founder of Los Camichines Distillery in Jalisco, Mexico, created the recipe for Agavero in 1857. He is also credited with the invention of "Seleccion Suave," the process of selecting only the smoothest, best quality tequilas, blending them together in oak and resting them for an extra-long period of time. The Damiana Margarita is very popular in the Los Cabos area of Mexico and the original margarita was made with Damiana Liqueur.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.