SASS Wire Forum

Marlin or Henry or ...? Shot the Marlin at a match today

Pat Riot

Hey, PR, it was great fun shooting with you today and even better meeting you. You’re welcome on our posse anytime and for not having shot CAS in awhile you could have fooled me and that rifle of yours is a keeper. I didn’t see one single problem with it when you were shooting today. I’m looking forward to more matches in the future and tell your wife thank you for letting you come out today on her special day.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I shot the Marlin at The Cowboys match today.

It ran great...better than I did. :lol:

I shot 6 stages with .357 and 2 with .38 Special. The ammo was Black Hills “Cowboy” ammunition. 

I managed 4 clean stages, 2 with 1 miss, 1 with 2 misses and one stage went to hell in a hand basket. :blink::D 

Still, it was fun! 

The only thing I find odd about s when loading the Marlin the rounds need to be lined up just right or you go about 2/3 of the way in and the round stops against the inside of the receiver. It happens more with .357 length ammo than .38. Not a big deal, just odd. 

Highlight of the day was I got to meet and shoot with Yul Lose. Great Pard. :D

It was a beautiful day and everyone had a good safe time. That’s what it’s all about.:)

We are wait'n for a fully detailed report. ;)

OLG

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Hey, PR, it was great fun shooting with you today and even better meeting you. You’re welcome on our posse anytime and for not having shot CAS in awhile you could have fooled me and that rifle of yours is a keeper. I didn’t see one single problem with it when you were shooting today. I’m looking forward to more matches in the future and tell your wife thank you for letting you come out today on her special day.

Thank you. I felt very welcome today. :D

I will definitely be at the next Cowboys match. I will try for Cajon as well. I still have lots to do at our new home...gotta get my garage and loading bench set up. 

My wife said “You’re welcome.” Having dinner at Outback shortly. 

35 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We are wait'n for a fully detailed report. ;)

OLG

“Fully detailed”? 

Well, I got up at 04:00. Made some coffee and then went over my final list to make sure I had everything ready to go for the match.

Then I took a shower...

How detailed?...:P

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The only thing I find odd about s when loading the Marlin the rounds need to be lined up just right or you go about 2/3 of the way in and the round stops against the inside of the receiver. It happens more with .357 length ammo than .38. Not a big deal, just odd. 

PATRIOT,

your symptoms are from the RIM of your previous round catching on the sharp edge of the portal entrance

at the 9 o'clock position (opposite the loading gate).  

It will never go away on its own.   You can take the rifle completely apart, including mag tube, and

bevel that 9 o'clock spot.    Heck, I normally bevel it right down flush with the receiver wall.

There are other little mods that you can do to give you a very nice rifle thats easy to load and operate..... and fun

to shoot.

I think Lumpy made you a nice offer.   And if you have any questions that I might help, feel free to call me

at 865 / 696-1996.

..........Widder

Widder, your assessment on the loading issue sounds logical. Thank you for the number. I had actually lost your number somehow when I upgraded my phone. I appreciate it.

I have ordered the parts that OLG recommended. When they come in I plan to pester, I mean, call upon him for his expertise. ;) 

It appears the parts won’t come in for a couple of weeks.

Archived