SASS Wire Forum

Marlin or Henry or ...? Shot the Marlin at a match today

Pat Riot

I decided I want a new cowboy rifle. I would like it in .357. I want one made in USA. :FlagAm:

I went to the local toy store the other day for the purpose of looking at CAS rifles. I looked at the Marlin 1894 CB, the Henry Big Boy (steel) and the Winchester 1873. All brand new. I looked at the 73 just as a comparison to the other two. 

Prices:

Winchester 1873 - $1,299

Marlin 1894 CB - $1,075

Henry Big Boy - $865

The Marlin seemed “Okay”. Levering was a little stiff but okay. The trigger had just a little hitch just before release. It looked pretty nice overall.

The Henry, when laid next to the Marlin was quite impressive in fit and finish compared to the Marlin. Levering the rifle was very smooth. The trigger was crisp.

The weight of the 2 guns surprised me. The Marlin because it was so light compared to the Henry. Probably by a half pound.

I compared the lever throws of the 2 guns against one another. At my shoulder I felt no real difference. When me and the salesman stood them on their butts and compared the lever throw the Henry had to go just a little further than the Marlin, maybe 3 degrees.

The Marlin had smooth wood and the Henry was checkered. The wood to metal fitting on the Marlin was poor. The Henry was good. 

If I were a newbie I would have snatched up the Henry. I am not a newbie but I am seriously considering the Henry.

Why? Both are made in the USA. The Henry outshines the Marlin, big time, in a side to side comparison. The feel of the Henry is solid, perhaps due to the extra weight, but the action is much nicer.

Now, I know some of you will recommend I go with a 73 or a 66 slicked up by whomever but I have made up my mind that I am buying an American made gun. I have my Vaqueros (getting my original ones back from my son-in-law) and I still have my big ol stainless 7.5” .45 Vaquero. I sold my New Vaqueros. I like the “originals” better. They feel right to me.

I really do wish there were more American made options in regards to rifles.

Also, I wanted to mention that my goal in CAS has nothing to do with speed or being fastest. My goal is enjoying myself with lots of fine folks that like to shoot together and have a good time doing so. If I wanted to be a top shooter I would have pushed myself for that a long time ago. I am just looking for a reliable rifle to celebrate finally getting healed up enough to get back into the game. :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go with the 73, you won't be sorry!! Miles ahead of the Marlin and Henry!

Hey, PR, shoot what you want to. I’ve finally come to the realization that with my beat up old body and bad back that I’m not going to be a contender but I do love the game so I’m going to shoot my Pedersoli Lightning rifles and Ruger Old Armies and my old 97’s and old SxS’s in 16 gauge. Most of the wood I’ve ever won is laying around the shop or gunroom somewhere covered in dust and sawdust. Meeting up with my pards four or five times a month and shooting my guns is good enough for me. I’m just glad that yer gettin back into it and ifn you don’t show up at The Cowboys in Norco or Cajon I’m puttin a posse together and bringing a rope, savvy?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m just glad that yer gettin back into it and ifn you don’t show up at The Cowboys in Norco or Cajon I’m puttin a posse together and bringing a rope, savvy?

Savvy :D

Whatever you want.

IF looking for the one that will help propel your game? The Marlin and 73 are the top two - period.

You said 'Made in USA' - only two choices if looking at new rifles: Marlin or the Henry.

Henry is a great rifle no doubt - just not so much IF you want a firearm that will shoot faster than you. IMHO, I would recommend a 92 to a "newbie" before recommended a Henry, but then again...if the newbie wants to buy "Made in America"......

When speaking to new CAS folks I recommend in this order: '73 (or 66), Marlin, 92, Henry and give the pros and cons of each. Truly it boils down to what they want to achieve - fast shooting prospects? want a rifle that's most authentic to the old west time?,  budget, and whatever....what works for me, may not work for them.top shooters or even pards that have been involved is always the best

Of course there are MANY threads on this subject on the Wire, internet, or better yet....folks at a match. Talking to the top shooters or even pards that have been involved is always the best.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If you ever find someone shooting a Henry in this game get all the information you can.  I have been shooting CAS well over 20 years and have not seen someone shooting one with any degree of success.  They are good guns but not up to the demand that we put on them. 

Good Luck, Blackfoot

21 minutes ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

If you ever find someone shooting a Henry in this game get all the information you can.  I have been shooting CAS well over 20 years and have not seen someone shooting one with any degree of success.  They are good guns but not up to the demand that we put on them. 

Good Luck, Blackfoot

11 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Get the Marlin, support Remington in their efforts to bring it back. 

Tyrel and Blackfoot, I do believe you have excellent points. 

I started shooting CAS with a Winchester 94 Trail’s End. I was perfectly happy with it, regardless of the badgering I got to “buy a 73” or “buy a 66”. Then I started having problems. I bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Classic and my problems went away. When I quit CAS for 10 years I eventually sold it. I am now kicking myself. I still have the 94. It’s the most accurate pistol caliber rifle I have ever fired. I love that rifle but it always lets me down at some point at a match. 

I will I’ll look at the Marlins again. Thanks.

I’m still using the Marlin CB I bought in 2001.

Get the Marlin-and come on up to Palmdale for the day, I can slick it up for you.

Don't forget the Henry loads via the mag tube like a .22 does. ;)

Marlins are way easier to keep run'n, than the others.....

Got your reloading stuff set up yet? :huh:

OLG

:ph34r:  And after Lumpy massages your Marlin, continue on from Palmdale to Ridgecrest on 1st or 3rd Saturday for a match with the Robber's Roost Vigilantes.  We shoot for (a lot of) fun, and take our time doin' it......

P>S>  I've got Marlin's, '73's, 92's, and a 94.  The Marlins, as OLG mentions, are the easiest to maintain, and light in weight.  Important with shoulder issues.....

Glad you're getting 'back in the saddle' !

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

or you could get the HRA Original Henry. I got to handle one recently. Smoother than I expected and fit & finish superb.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-original-henry-rifle/

The problem with the 1860, while I love my Uberti, is that it is woefully long and heavy and one needs to practice avoiding the magazine folloer as it moves toward the receiver. 

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The problem with the 1860, while I love my Uberti, is that it is woefully long and heavy and one needs to practice avoiding the magazine folloer as it moves toward the receiver. 

I use a homemade spacer stick in my Uberti which allows me to hold the barrel just ahead of the receiver. It's still front heavy when holding that way, but very manageable and I don't have to do the "Henry hop". I also put in a 3rd gen short stroke kit from Cowboys & Indians Store and polished things up. Smooooth!

The best part is loading BP into that wonderful .44-40 cartridge. BOOM!

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get the Marlin-and come on up to Palmdale for the day, I can slick it up for you.

OLG

Thank you OLG. That is a generous offer.

Reloading stuff is still not up yet. Pushing for this weekend. It's simple though. It a single stage and I brought my bench with me.

I have decided to go with the Marlin. :D

I found them at Riflegear just down the road from me for the same price as the Henry I listed above.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I found them at Riflegear just down the road from me for the same price as the Henry I listed above.

Did you get your PRK 'gun-card' yet?

If not-Get the handgun one, as that lets you buy long-guns also.

Be sure to handle that Marlin, before buying it.

OLG

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Excellent decision! :FlagAm:

7 hours ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

I recommend in this order: '73 (or 66), Marlin, 92, Henry

I have all of these rifles and I agree with Gunner Gatlin. I just purchased a Marlin 94 cb a few weeks ago. I had to switch out all of the springs and slick up the receiver and install 1 piece firing pin before I was comfortable with it to shoot at a match, but now its a sweet little rife, and American made. I had a Henry Big Boy, but sold it in favor of a Uberti 73 which I like much better. My 73 was short stroked and slicked up by Cody Conagher, and its a very smooth and fast gun. Good luck.

OLG

Sounds like sound advise to me, Pat.  Marlin fell on some hard times when Remington took over. 

I have an 1894 in .44 Mag that came off the line in 2001 I believe. Made in New Haven. Silent Sam,

over in Wenatchee slicked it up for me. It is truly the sweetest shooting long guns in my safe. 

When I was active in SASS shooting, I shot .44 Special home rolled Cartridges. Sweet combination. 

Did you get your PRK 'gun-card' yet?

If not-Get the handgun one, as that lets you buy long-guns also.

Be sure to handle that Marlin, before buying it.

OLG

Also, do you have your California "Real ID" driver's license yet?  You're gonna need it.  doh!.gif

Rumor has it that in a few months you'll need it to buy ammo, too.  :(

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Also, do you have your California "Real ID" driver's license yet?  You're gonna need it.  doh!.gif

I do have it. Thanks.

You need a Real ID to buy ammo in Arizona? ;)

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Sounds like sound advise to me, Pat.  Marlin fell on some hard times when Remington took over

I have an 1894 in .44 Mag that came off the line in 2001 I believe. Made in New Haven. Silent Sam,

over in Wenatchee slicked it up for me. It is truly the sweetest shooting long guns in my safe. 

When I was active in SASS shooting, I shot .44 Special home rolled Cartridges. Sweet combination. 

Marlin fell on hard times before they were acquired by Freedom Group.  The machines & tooling was nackered.  Remington's mistake was trying to mfg. Remlins with the JM crap.  It took them several years to develop the CAD/CAM files & tooling to mfg. rifles with consistent  quality and make a profit selling in volume.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I do have it. Thanks.

You need a Real ID to buy ammo in Arizona? ;)

No. You only need a wallet with some cash or cards in it.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yes I do-All that goes into effect in 2020.

OLG

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

Marlin fell on hard times before they were acquired by Freedom Group.  The machines & tooling was nackered.  Remington's mistake was trying to mfg. Remlins with the JM crap.  It took them several years to develop the CAD/CAM files & tooling to mfg. rifles with consistent  quality and make a profit selling in volume.

You need to stop drink'n the REM 'koolaid', and do some fact checking. :rolleyes:

Fact #1 to get you started-REM didn't hire any of the Marlin folks........

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/573725-marlin-real-truth.html

OLG

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You need to stop drink'n the REM 'koolaid', and do some fact checking. :rolleyes:

Fact #1 to get you started-REM didn't hire any of the Marlin folks........

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/573725-marlin-real-truth.html

OLG

JM couldn't make money using 19th & 20 century mfg. methods.  JM's machines & tools in the last few years needed to be replaced; they were nackered.  JM rifles produced by their craftsmen in the last couple of years varied greatly between each rifle.  Similar to the AK47's built with hand tools in Pakistani shops.  The Freedom group didn't by Marlin to build low volume custom hand built guns.  There is already a mfg. making high quality $2k+ Marlin clones.  They bought the name to mfg. & build Ford & Chevy price/quality Marlins. 

10 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

JM couldn't make money using 19th & 20 century mfg. methods.  JM's machines & tools in the last few years needed to be replaced; they were nackered.  JM rifles produced by their craftsmen in the last couple of years varied greatly between each rifle.  Similar to the AK47's built with hand tools in Pakistani shops.  The Freedom group didn't by Marlin to build low volume custom hand built guns.  There is already a mfg. making high quality $2k+ Marlin clones.  They bought the name to mfg. & build Ford & Chevy price/quality Marlins. 

Nice 'dance'. :rolleyes:

The fact of why Marlin was sold is in that link I posted...............;)

Sure-never mind the fact that REM for many years after buying Marlin, flooded the market with junk with the Marlin name on it.

To REM, the term QC was a foreign language.

OLG

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nice 'dance'. :rolleyes:

The fact of why Marlin was sold is in that link I posted...............;)

Sure-never mind the fact that REM for many years after buying Marlin, flooded the market with junk with the Marlin name on it.

To REM, the term QC was a foreign language.

OLG

Remington should have never sold any Remlins until they could consistently built a quality rifle.  I am sure it was management that were so eager to see a return on investment that they built-up huge negative good-will.  Almost in Yugo & Trabant territory.

28 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yes I do-All that goes into effect in 2020.

OLG

Supposedly.  

I have a close family member in Southern California who recently attempted to buy a new rife.

All good, until he produced his driver's license.  He had moved a couple of years ago, and although he had filed an address change with the DMV and had the official card denoting the change, the dealer would not or could not accept it, as the address on the license itself was not current.

Guy makes an appointment, eventually goes to the DMV, and gets a new license in the mail two weeks later.  Returns to LGS; dealer still will not accept license, as it's not a "Real ID" version.  So now he had to first order an official copy of his birth certificate, make another appointment, return to DMV... 

He hopes he'll have the new "Real ID" license by the end of this week.  

Then, back to the LGS, taking his new "Real ID" driver's license, garbage bill, and Lord knows what else.

So... was the dealer correct, or acting prematurely in an overabundance of caution?  Doesn't matter ~ it's the image of what's to come.  And it's not good.

Archived